Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas

mamaleh
#0Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/21/06 at 10:00pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/l.cfm?id=131009
I agree 100 percent I have seen Mandy on stage numerous times, from his Mamaloschen concert to the Sondheim-centered variety, and he never delivers anything less than perfection in my book. He pours his heart and soul into every number. Some call his style overwrought; I call it brimming with genuine, heartfelt emotion. I'm just annoyed he has a hit TV series because it's keeping him away from his concert tours that I always so look forward to.

#1re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/22/06 at 12:43pm

Patinkin is one of the most annoying singer/performers I have ever watched. Over the top and self indulgent. Has anyone heard his Soliloquy from Carousel in a higher key? It robs the song of any dramatic power. And that documentary on the recording of South Pacific. Could he be any more impressed with himself? He's godawful. Any Patinkin performance is a real Calvary for me. Let him stay on television so we can turn him off.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#2re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/22/06 at 2:51pm

i love Mandy i'm just over the fact that every song has to come under 3 minutes on any of his albums. BREATHE boy! breathe!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/22/06 at 7:41pm

Mandy is incredible! re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas I wish could attend. That is a great article.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#4re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/22/06 at 8:01pm

Now I have such a strong desire to listen to Forbidden Broadway's "Super-Frantic-Hyper-Active-Self-Indulgent-Mandy"!!!

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

#5re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 1:01am

The first time I heard him sing assorted showtunes I was absolutely horrified. I am relieved to read that I was not alone in that opinion.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#6re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 3:46pm

As we should all know on this board: Art is subjective. I happen to love Patinkin's concertizing. He is passionate and whether you like what he does or not, you KNOW he is feeling what he is doing. Much prefer that over Feinstein and others who just sort of diddle through their songs.

Of course, I allow for the fact that there are those who LIKE that style too. I don't think you HAVE to like anyone as an artist, but you do have to allow that others may have a different opinion.

Streisand, for example, has a great voice, but she is so technical and self-indulgent in listening to her own great voice that she forgets to imbue the songs she sings with any emotion or passion.

Just my preference.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

songplugger
#7re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 6:04pm

I think Mandy should tour with Shirley Bassey.

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#8re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 6:10pm

I personally don't like his vocals and always wished there was a better Che singing alongside Patti on the Broadway Cast Recording of Evita.
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 06:10 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 6:19pm

Great actor . . . good lower register . . . HORRIBLE falsetto sound (which he goes into when there is no need to)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:39pm

A reason to stay away from Vegas

Poster Emeritus

LiLMuNkEe22 Profile Photo
LiLMuNkEe22
#11re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:41am

turns out i was doing a benefit at the four seasons las vegas on the exact same night as the show (i live there)... but one of my good friends went, and got a personalized autograph!!!

being from vegas (And then before that cali), getting an autograph from anyone on broadway is a bigggg deal!!

mandy is amazing.... she absolutely loved it, although our main crtique from LV hated him. oh well. i think hes perfect.

some things are meant to be...

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#12re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 1/7/07 at 5:08am

I saw Mandy when he did his solo concert at the Almeida theatre in London ten years ago - just him and Paul Ford at the piano for over two hours. It still ranks as one of the best nights I have ever spent in a theatre. I have all his CDs as well as the DVD of his stunning performance in Sunday In The Park With George - and I never tire of listening or watching them.

His incredible acting ability gives every song a perfectly balanced injection of emotion. And his vocals are breathtaking.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***
Updated On: 1/7/07 at 05:08 AM

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#13re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:35pm

I saw him twice in "Sunday in the Park with George" and loved him. I got his first album and loved it. The second one, not so much. I liked each one less and less, except for "Experiment." As for his "Steve and Oscar" album, which I expected to love, I could barely listen to it. He was really over the top on that one. The only parts I liked on it were Judy Blazers vocals in "Pleasant Little Kingdom"

He gets so manic. I've always thought that when he records an album that he either needs a strong producer or a strong tranquillizer....

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

SporkGoddess
#14re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:41pm

spiderdj82: That's a great way of describing Mandy's singing.

I for one can't stand him on the Evita cast recording. He's tolerable in The Secret Garden and SitPwG, but, eh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#15re: Mandy Patinkin In Las Vegas
Posted: 1/7/07 at 3:00pm

I suppose the Patinkin detractors will be very unhappy to hear that he and Ms. Lupone are going to be concertizing together again (just as they began in the Dallas concert). As soon as the Criminal Minds season is finished filming, he and Lupone will take on the country. I for one, am looking forward to them singing together again.

"Life is a lesson in humility"