pixeltracker

Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#0Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:04pm

This man is amazing. He has appeared on Broadway in Fiddler, Chicago, Kiss Me Kate, Facinating Rhythm, The Light in the Piazza and is set to open this week in A Chorus Line. He also directed/choreographed the wildly successful [Title of Show]off Broadway.
Let's show this man some love. He's a class act, crazy talented, and rediculously handsome.

Feel free to add good luck wishes, stories and pics of Mr. B. Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"
Updated On: 10/2/06 at 12:04 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:14pm

re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread

This brilliantly talented young man is indeed a star. He gave a very moving speech at the final performance of [title of show] at the Vineyard Theatre last night, a project for which he won an Obie for his outstanding choreography and his directorial debut.

Can't wait to see him in A Chorus Line. I also look forward to his future work as a director and choreographer. Michael Berresse is truly one of Broadway's great talents. re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 10/2/06 at 12:14 PM

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#2re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:16pm

he was great in "kiss me, kate" and the other night in "a chorus line!" i like him better without the moustache.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#3re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:17pm

I sure didn't appreciate him in A CHORUS LINE - but he's cute and he's been good in other things

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#4re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:18pm

Saw him in Chorus Line on Sunday and, to me, he stole the show. Just his voice was so powerful, the intonation and delivery so perfect, that I just wanted to hear more.

Question: I was in the balcony. Where is he is the theater? Is he in the orchestra or is he offstage?

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#5re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 12:19pm

Hear hear! Such a lovely and talented man. I had the pleasure of meeting him after a performance of "Piazza" and he couldn't have been more kind and humble.

ETA: This may be redundant since it's already in my fan photos, but it's a favorite of mine:

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Updated On: 10/2/06 at 12:19 PM

BroadwaySUZ
#6re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 3:51pm

Michael Berresse is not only an amazing talent, having seen him in Chicago, Fasinating Rhythm, Kiss Me Kate, The Light in the Piazza, A Chorus Line, and his directorial debut of [titleofshow], he is a wonderful guy. He spends lots of time talking to fans.
He's also extremely handsome:)

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#7re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 8:38pm

michael is such a great guy! i saw him when ACL was doing previews in SF and he chatted with us for a long time, he's very nice to his fans. i thought this was a funny story he told us about ACL, written previously by me in another thread:

"i also got a chance to chat with michael berresse - he told me during the show, he's sitting in the back row of the orchestra section and he'll have people turn around and talk to him. he said once he had a guy who was telling him all his lines before he even said them! he just had to block him out. he said he'll sometimes have kids tripping him in the aisles or running into people getting up to use the restroom. ^^"

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#8re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/06 at 11:05pm

awww... Michael Berresse. such a wonderfully talented actor/dancer/choreographer. i saw him in kiss me kate and ever since have become a fan. that crazy balcony climbing thing he did was insane. and those arms! i also got to meet him after piazza. where my aunt proceeded to embarass me. "oh you have nice arms :::feels up his one arm:::" embarassing. and he got part of his apple on me when i got a pic with him but yeah... anyways such a talent. can't wait to see chorus line.... i have my tickets for January 6th. front row mez. can't wait!!

"You can't stop someone who wants to be an artist. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it... Work as hard as you can on the things you can work on. Until it seems like there is no possible chance you're going to succeed, don't give up." ~ANDREW ASNES avatar: me and jason gillman... in the pouring rain.

IssaMe
#9re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 12:32pm

The best - absolutely THE BEST!

Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 12:51pm

Check out that arm...and do I spy a pec?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Princeton78
#11re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:21pm

He did a gorgeous spread for a theatre magazine a few years ago that showed off his pecs brilliantly. And there was no shirt to hide them under. re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread Did it just get hot in here??

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:24pm

I thought he was wonderful in KISS ME KATE and PIAZZA, but he bites the big one in A CHORUS LINE. It's too bad.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#13re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:29pm

Why do you say that, that he "bites the big one?"

I thought he stole the show, as I said in an earlier post.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:32pm

I didn't believe him as a director, and because of his seemingly "walked through" performance, I didn't buy his relationship with Cassie either. Perhaps I'm just too familiar with Robert LuPone's work, but Berresse just didn't cut it. Great dancer, good actor - but his acting is nothing short of bland in this one.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#15re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:06pm

I haven't seen A Chorus Line yet but he was a highlight in Light in the Piazza and Kiss me Kate.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

NJgirl
#16re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:10pm

Michael is a very sweet guy to talk to at the stage door. He was so funny at the first preview about him playing the "not so nice guy" lately in Piazza, ACL and on TV in LnO, but he swore to me that he's a nice guy...lol.

Having seen the first preview perf of ACL and having seen it again on Sunday...I noticed a difference in his performance. I liked it much more on Sunday (not that I didn't like it the first time) There was just a lil more fire and agressiveness there on Sunday and it worked.
Updated On: 10/3/06 at 03:10 PM

Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 8:43am

Most every critic except Brantley found Michael's Zach to be quite good. re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread

-Kad

Updated On: 10/6/06 at 08:43 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#18re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 8:46am

he is amazing re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread SOOOOO very talented! re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread Thank you for strating this thread.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#19re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 9:29am

someone told me he was friends with the people for A Chorus Line & that's why he got cast. i enjoyed him in the production and have to say he was the nicest of the people who came out at the stage door. i'm just not a fan of how queens have to get that weird all-vacant-in-the-eyes look whenever they come out. "oh you like my acting gee..thanks."

it totally makes me wanna read them.
Updated On: 10/6/06 at 09:29 AM

Trish2
#20re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 9:35am

well remember that they are all chorus dancers who are now being given their "big break". Of course, they're going to indulge the fans. Though Beresse has done some secondary roles, he's pitifully miscast in this production. Don't expect him to land many more major roles after this. Once a dancer, always a dancer. And i know what you mean about his "blank" look-he's always had that. Sorry, just not a big fan.

Wayman_Wong
#21re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 10:05pm

For those of you who are fans of Michael Berresse, here's an interview we did with him earlier in the year, in which he discussed [title of show], 'A Chorus Line,' 'Kiss Me, Kate,' 'The Light in the Piazza,' etc.
Playbill.com: 'The Leading Men' - Michael Berresse

Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/06 at 11:15pm

Beautiful interview, Wayman. I hadn't caught it the first time around, so thanks for posting it here.

-Kad

Princeton78
#23re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/10/06 at 2:39pm

*bump*

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#24re: Michael Berresse Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/10/06 at 5:30pm

I'm still waiting on someone who just might have those theatre spread pictures handy......

*taps foot*

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

Videos