What to see?

Julian2
#0What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:43pm

Ok, I am going to New York for the very first time for the express purpose of seeing some shows. I am having a bit of difficulty deciding what. I know what I like, but I only have time for four shows, and consolidation is not my strongest suit. I have no clue when I would be back to New York to see shows again, but very likely it won't be anytime soon, proably a few years. I am a TOTAL theatre queen, so i'm pretty much open to anything. I am going January 4-7, Fri-Sun, (but no time for sunday shows). My pool is something like Grey Gardens / A Chorus Line / Spring Awakeing / Wicked / Mary Poppins / The Apple Tree. My current set is everything but MP and GG. Thanks for any help in advance. AH! So many choices!
P.S. If this is a completely stupid question, just yell at me and let it quietly pass into obscurity What to see?. But if not, or your just helpful, THANKS!

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#1re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:46pm

Well if I were coming to NYC for the first time (which I'm not - I live here and unfortunately have gotten into the habit of blowing all of my paychecks on shows re: What to see? It sucks for my income but I've also seen almost everything out there...)

So, I'll give you my opinion of the four shows I would choose. I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree but here goes (in no order...):

A Chorus Line
Mary Poppins
Wicked
The Color Purple

But whatever you see, enjoy!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:52pm

Though this only adds to your conundrum, you should consider seeing the Company revival, as well. re: What to see?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 10/2/06 at 10:52 PM

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#3re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:53pm

It's going to be nearly impossible to get tickets to Wicked and A Chorus Line.

Because none of these are open, I recommend reading about the shows, and see what you think you will like the most. Also - what are your favorite shows? I really don't know what to recommend...

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#4re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:53pm

Double post

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable
Updated On: 10/2/06 at 10:53 PM

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#5re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 10:56pm

Avenue Q
A Chorus Line
Company
Spring Awakening

If only from the shows you listed:
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening
A Chorus Line
Grey Gardens or The Apple Tree

and also if your interested The Grinch has 11 am Sat matinees I think.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#6re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 11:08pm

I wouls say...(in this order)
A Chorus Line
The Apple Tree
Gray Gardens
Spring Awakening
Mary Poppins

Julian2
#7re: What to see?
Posted: 10/2/06 at 11:10pm

Only have time for four, so I guess I'll take your suggestion just w/o MP.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Broadway Baby4 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby4
#8re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 9:51am

I recommend:
Wicked
Spelling Bee
A Chorus Line
Drowsy Chaperone
Updated On: 10/3/06 at 09:51 AM

coolkid11776
#9re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:14pm

SEE RENT IT IS AN AMAZING SHOW THEY DO A Lotter for 20$ tickets in the first 2 rows

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#10re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:29pm

if it were me i would try to get a ticket to A Chrous Line now. you can't go wrong with that show. in addition, i'd pick The Apple Tree.

if you're going to want to see Wicked i'd recommend getting your ticket for that now too. keep in mind theatre is in high demand so b*tches are taking all the seats.

i know what it's like to come to NYC for the first time though :) i secretly get giddy every weekend when i come down from Boston

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#11re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:34pm

If you can only see 4 shows, I would choose:

Grey Gardens
A Chorus Line
Spring Awakening
The Apple Tree

MARY POPPINS and WICKED will be around for years.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#12re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:35pm

right, the only reason i didn't mention GG was because you said everything but that. GG won't be around that long so i'd snatch that baby up quick!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:36pm

See me! re: What to see?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#14re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:34pm

CoolKid- Rent has a lottery? When did this happen?

actor
#15re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:36pm

A Chorus Line
Wicked
Mary Poppins or DRS
Drowsy Chaperone

bwayondabrain
#16re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 6:48pm

THE WEDDING SINGER
THE APPLE TREE
GREY GARDENS
THE COLOR PURPLE

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#17re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 7:21pm

OMFG i lyke tottally didn't now RENT had a lotto. And for only 20$$$$ i gotta go try it now! omfg!

MandaGurl
#18re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 7:23pm

The Wedding Singer!!! Such a fantastic fun show!!

-Amanda*

"No, this is the touch of class, not the touch of what you just said." -The Wedding Singer "Its like my mother always used to say, whenever you hear a strange and possible life-threatening noise coming from the dark woods outide,there is only one thing you should do. Dont tell any of the others and go invsetigate it alone." All the men in my life keep getting killed by Candarian demons, all my college boyfriends and my one night stands, my male co-workers and platonic gay friends (HEY)." -EVIL DEAD THE MUSICAL

absolutely fabulous Profile Photo
absolutely fabulous
#19re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 7:28pm

Although it's not on your list, you should consider going to see Drowsy Chaperone. It's fantastic and the present cast is phenomenal. I'm assuming that the cast isn't going to change too dramatically between now and your trip and you should take the chance to see it with the amazing cast that's there now. It's awsome!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20re: What to see?
Posted: 10/3/06 at 11:22pm

Drowsy Chaperone (A must see INHO)
Spring Awakenings (Loved it Off Broadway)
Grey Gardens (So you can say you saw it at Tony time!)
The Color Purple

I always try to see something new as I only get to New York once or twice a year.

Just give the world Love.

Julian2
#21re: What to see?
Posted: 10/4/06 at 10:01pm

Bump

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#22re: What to see?
Posted: 10/5/06 at 9:24am

personally, i'd go and see whatever is new (just to see the OBC), or one of the revivals.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: What to see?
Posted: 10/5/06 at 9:31am

Me! re: What to see?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)