RAGS: Concert cast!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#0RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:24pm

Looks like Jamie is pulling in the best as usual.
Eden will be perfect as Bella and very happy about Stacia, she is terrific.
Who can they get for Avram and Rebecca?

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#1re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:57pm

I'm not happy with the incredibly over-rated Eden Espinoza but I'm pleased with the choice of material. Eden's shreiking will never erase Judy Kuhn's beautifully nuanced performance.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:10pm

Eden also has a lovley softer sound, she used it in BKLYN, but the belting overshadowed it.

bobby_luvs_bway
#3re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:19pm

Still...I'm not a fan. But I'm happy that musical is being brought back into the spotlight.

Joshua488
#4re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:23pm

I'm not excited about Eden Espinosa being cast as Bella, but I'll give her a shot.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#5re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:34pm

I've said it three-thousand times, but I'll say it again: Marin Mazzie would be perfect as Rebecca.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:41pm

She's not very Jewish...

bobby_luvs_bway
#7re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:43pm

Does an actor have to be Jewish to be cast in Rags?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:45pm

She's not very Jewish...

Nor is Eden, or Max Von Essen.

Julia Migenes, who did the CD, was born Irish Catholic.

Michael Bennett
#9re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:45pm

Well would you want to see Rebecca Luker in FUNNY GIRL?

bobby_luvs_bway
#10re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:50pm

Of course not...however, Fanny Brice was a real person. Rags is hardly the same case.

Michael Bennett
#11re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:51pm

But the Jewisness of the characters is essential to both storylines.

Marin Mazzie could sing and act the role. In a concert version she would probably be fine. But she's really not ideal casting. She's a total WASP.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#12re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:53pm

Vicky Clark would be a fantastic Rebecca as well.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

bobby_luvs_bway
#13re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:54pm

I agree with the Jewisness of the characters, but not all Jews look like Judy Kuhn. Lest we forget Goldie Hawn is also Jewish.

Michael Bennett
#14re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:56pm

Julia Migenes made a Broadway career out of playing Jewish women though. She also never played the role on stage.

Well, we don't know what Goldie Hawn would look like if she hadn't had so much plastic surgery, so she's not really a good example though I understand what you are saying.

I

bobby_luvs_bway
#15re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:57pm

Hilarious...it's so sad what she did to her face. She used to be so cute.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#16re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:05pm

I've never heard the score to this musical. Is it any good?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#17re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:07pm

Gorgeous; probably my favorite of Schwartz's. Get it purely for the songs "Blame it on the Summer Night," "Rags," and "Wanting." Plus Judy Kuhn and Terrence Mann are in top form re: RAGS: Concert cast!

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
Updated On: 10/11/06 at 05:07 PM

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#18re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:18pm

I want to see the concert actually because of Eden. I love her dearly.

Does anyone know what the range of ticket prices are? I checked the concert site and ticketmaster, and both no luck.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#19re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:40pm

Vicki Clark DEFINITELY needs to play this role. Her "Children of the Wind" is stellar. Marin Mazzie is a good choice, too.

What about Saul?

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#20re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:41pm

All Saul really needs to do is stand there and look/sound pretty. It's not the best part in the world; any of a handful of actors could do a decent job. Same with Nathan.

Gothampc
#21re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:57pm

If the Saul character was better written, I'd say Raul Esparza.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#22re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 6:34pm

How long did "Rags" play on Broadway, remember seeing Judy sing the title song on the "Tonys".

She was amazing, can still remember the power of that song.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Gothampc
#23re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 6:43pm

"How long did "Rags" play on Broadway, remember seeing Judy sing the title song on the "Tonys".

I think it was only 4 performances. We are lucky we got a cast recording out of it. That was a bad year for musicals. The show had already closed by the time of the Tonys.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#24re: RAGS: Concert cast!
Posted: 10/11/06 at 6:45pm

YAAAY David Austin.