pixeltracker

Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas

Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#0Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 10:45am

Just some of my ideas. Please post some of your own. I know it may seem unlikely to get some of these people, but if the movie hits as big as it could, a revival of the show will be even more huge than it would've been already. There's also the fact that the show means a great deal to a lot of black performers. Anyway, I'm sure some people will disagree with some of these choices anyway, but at least it will probably make for a good discussion.

Effie: Tarralyn Ramsey, Kelly Price, Capathia Jenkins, Lauryn Hill
Deena: Renee Elise Goldsberry, Sharon Leal, Paula Patton, Alicia Keys, Tatyana Ali, Mya
Lorrell: Fantasia, Maya Rudolph, Nicole Leach, Shanice, Jurnee Smollett, Nikki James, Deborah Cox
Curtis: Jesse L. Martin, Norm Lewis
Jimmy: Cleavant Derricks, Phillip Michael Thomas
C.C.: Brandon Victor Dixon, Jason Weaver, Marques Houston, Omarion
Marty: Keith David

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#1re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 11:14am

Shoshana Bean as Effie! j/k, wanted to make people look.

Renee Elise Goldsberry, Fantasia, Jesse L. Martin and Jason Weaver would all be good in this show. I think the first Seaweed from Hairspray would make a good Jimmy, just from listening to him on the Hairspray OBC, I think he has the voice for it.

As for Effie, it's hard to say who should play that role.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:17pm

Philip Michael Thomas for Jimmy??! Isn't he dead or something -- dead career, whatever? re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas

Carpathia Jenkins for Effie?! Maybe Effie's MOTHER! re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas

Maya Rudolph for Deena would be good.

Oy!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#3re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:25pm

Capathia doesn't look that old to me. It's not like all of the other actresses who've played the role were the same age as Jennifer Holliday when she first did it.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:32pm

Age isn't the issue -- you have to look 'young' to be a believable Effie.

Carpathia has a matronly look, similar to Sharon Wilkins. They look like 'mommas' not girls.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#5re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:33pm

Mr.Midwest, no disrespect, but Are you on drugs?

Lauryn Hill, Omarion, Alicia Keys.......give me a break. That would be terrible.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#6re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:37pm

Carl, if you actually explained why those people wouldn't be good, we might be able to actually discuss it. People seem to have certain ideas locked in their head that they can't get past.

Lauryn Hill has a gospel voice and has acted before. What would be wrong with her?

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#7re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:39pm

Yeah Capathia is definitely at a good age to play Effie.

Kringas
#8re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:41pm

Lauryn Hill doesn't have the warmth required for Effie (or at least, I've never seen her show any warmth).

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 12:45pm

You may be right. I do think she could sing it, though.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#10re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 2:16pm

One big thing to keep in mind about this musical is that a huge amount of it is sung. I don't think you exactly have to be the most amazing actor to perform in it on stage as long as you're a strong singer who can make the audience feel every word.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear some other casting ideas, especially from someone like Margo who probably has a lot of knowledge about people out there right now who could sing Effie.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I think Stacy Francis would be fantastic as Lorrell.

Also, did anyone see Alicia Keys on Oprah today with her long flowing diva hair? There's a pic or two here. http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#11re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 2:24pm

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have the range to do it, but I would love to see Debra Wilson (from MadTv) play Lorrell. Granted, they'd have to find a way to cover up all of her tattoo's if she ever could do it, but still. Vocally, I think she could play Effie really well.

I love the idea of Maya Rudolph as Deena, or even Lorrell.

Too bad Anika and J.Hud are going to be majorly busy after the film version because god knows they'd both blow it out of the water on stage. Wouldn't it be funny if the girls (Beyonce, Jennifer, Anika, and Sharon) did it on stage for a limited time? Beyonce has said that she wants a Tony. If she's really good in the movie, maybe she could pull it off on stage. Plus it'd be a chance to hear Anika sing "Ain't No Party"

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

#12re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 3:04pm

Does anyone else think that Anika looks more like a young Diana Ross than Beyonce?

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#13re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 3:22pm

I could see Zoe Saldana as Deena or Michelle, but I'm not sure how well she can sing.

Gabrielle Union and Stacey Dash also seem like perfect Deenas to me, but I have no idea if they have any singing talent.

FoscasBohemianDream
#14re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 3:23pm

With the raves Nikki M. James is getting in The Wiz revival, I highly doubt she'd play Lorrell.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#15re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 3:31pm

If she got the opportunity to play Lorrell and she turned it down, that'd be a huge mistake on her part in my opinion. It's not like a it's a tiny role and it'd be a great showcase for her voice. Plus, it's f*ckin' Dreamgirls.

That said, she'd probably be great in some of the other parts too.

Casey3
#16re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 6:27pm

I see Fantasia's name on the list and I'm guessing its more for Lorrell than anything else. That would seem the obvious choice, and while I think she could do Ain't No Party some much needed justice (Heather, luv ya but NO), I don't think she could hit the super high harmony parts required for the group numbers that Lorrell is major part of. That's probably why she auditioned for Effie in the film instead of Lorrell. Hmmm.....................

BSoBW2
#17re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 6:34pm

I think Jenkins has played Effie.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#18re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 6:36pm

Thandie Newton would be something as Deena if she can sing.

#19re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 6:40pm

Effie: Alicia Keys
Deena: Shanice
Lorrell: Maya Rudolph
Curtis: Jesse L. Martin
Jimmy: Cleavant Derricks
C.C.: Norm Lewis
Marty: Keith David

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#20re: Dreamgirls Revival Casting Ideas
Posted: 10/13/06 at 9:11pm

You're right, BSoBW2.

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/102061.html

Q: When did you start performing?
Jenkins: Professionally, I would say I started performing [when I was] about 20. I had just left Temple University, and I [was] on the train going back from New York to Philly, [and] I found this audition in the paper for a revue in Bermuda. And, I went in and auditioned and got it. And, from there, I just started working with that producer doing resort kind of shows. I did that for a couple years, and then my first bus-and-truck was Dreamgirls.

Q: What role did you play?
Jenkins: I played Effie. It was a bus-and-truck [tour], and it was fantastic. I had the best time.

Videos