pixeltracker

Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love- Page 3

Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love

PalaceRent06 Profile Photo
PalaceRent06
#50re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/27/06 at 8:24pm

laurie beechman in ANNIE OBC"and now im stealing coal for fires...who knew i could steal!"

musicalangel12
#51re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 12:46am

1. "Songs for a New World"...the opening notes of "A New World" and the first "A new world calls across the ocean"...and Jason Robert Brown's line "Listen to the song that I sing and trust me" in "Hear My Song"

2. The first harmonies in "Home" on The Scarlet Pimpernel OBC CD

3. Brian Stokes Mitchell's last note in "Make Them Hear You" from "Ragtime"

"Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good."--Terrence Mann

"Pretty much...if you've seen any shows that have a jerk boyfriend in that show...I'm that guy."--Richard H. Blake

Diane: Aww, you are such a chick flick. I would totally pay $12 to see you. (Kristin Chenoweth on "Ugly Betty") http://musicalangel12.blogspot.com <-- my blog. Give it a read, please.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#52re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 2:08am

GRAND HOTEL - The Musical

The opening sequence, and I love how that there returns at the end of the show.

I do wish the OCR had included two extra bits: The show itself began with the hotel operators answer calls from guests, building into a cacophony of overlapping sounds. Then the orchestra began to rumble beneath it (as IS heard on the CD.) The other segment I wish had been recorded: the overlapping telephone conversations in the opening sequence, especially when Kringelien says "I'm Staying at..." and the whole company snaps in with "GRAND HOTEL! BERLIN!!!"

What a show...and it will never be revived the way it was originally presented.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#53re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 2:21am

All of Lippa's The Wild Party gives me chills...there's just so many moments that are fantastic in that recording. When Julia says "Burrsie...easy." It just makes you feel for her, because it's so sad.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

jwsel
#54re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 2:47am

3. Brian Stokes Mitchell's last note in "Make Them Hear You" from "Ragtime"

I couldn't believe nobody had mentioned this before. That note absolutely blows me away every time I hear it.

There are a lot of great moments in the Ragtime cast recording. (I have the "Songs from Ragtime" done by the Toronto cast.)

During Wheels of Dream, I love the part where Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes Mitchell are trading lines.

I also have to giggle during all the "wheeeees" in Crime of the Century. (And at the insults during What A Game, particularly the kid trying to repeat them.)

The end of Til We Reach That Day with the whole company singing is another fantastic moment.

I could go on and on about Ragtime. It's such an incredible score.

There also are some great moments on the 1994 Showboat cast recording. At the end of Lonette McKee's version of Bill, she stops and says "I don't know" at the end. It's absolutely heart-rending and nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it. (Michel Bell's Ol' Man River from that same recording is also amazing.)

At the opposite spectrum, I can't help but to grin during the exchange between Grethe Boston and Michel Bell during Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man on that album.

Trekkie2
#55re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 7:50am

Tittle of Show, from Filling out the Form, "Your note can suck my note, cuz your note is my note's bitch.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

caitlincanfly Profile Photo
caitlincanfly
#56re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 9:12am

Probably a bit cliche, but the opening chords of Wicked tend to give me chills.

I am also quite partial to just about all of L5Y.

Also, and this might be odd, but in "Look at the Sky" in Urinetown, any of Hunter's powerful notes just make me deliriously happy.

bwayondabrain
#57re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 9:19am

The Gary Coleman bit in "It Sucks to be Me" on the AVENUE Q recording
um...let me thing a bit...

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#58re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:20am

"I'm Argentina, and always will be" from Eva's Final Broadcast in the OBC of Evita, I love how Patti has tears in her voice, so honest.

"But is Hans-Christian Anderson ever risque? Which eliminates A"
From A Little Night Music, it's probably one of my favorite moments in any show ever.

And on all versions of "Being Alive" the moment right before the final "alive" there's a genius level of anticipation that gives me chills.

In Sunset Boulevard during the "Greatest Star of All (reprise)" when Norma goes "If you're with me next year will be, next year will be. Bring in his head on a silver tray, she kisses his mouth, she kisses his mouth, she kisses his mouth!"
It's beautiful, I've always adored it, one of the few moments on Sunset that I actually adore.

And the final "Goodbye" on Where is warmth? from Baker's Wife. I love the similarities to Meadowlark and yet the distinction of the orchestration.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

#59re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:39am

the wedding singer-during someday, the was laura says ok when asked to take the veil off. soo adorable

tick, tick...boom-louder than words, for some reason i just love the last chorus!

wicked-what is this feeling, when they sing still i do believe that it CAN LAST. the way they say can last just sticks out every time

TheaterAddict7652
#60re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:50am

Here's a few:

-Cathy's inner monologue from Climbing Uphill from L5Y. ("I should have told them I was sick last week...) It makes me wonder if Jason Robert Brown can read my mind, since I'm constantly thinking things like that during auditions

-The las part of Wheels of a Dream ("Beyond that road...). ALWAYS gives me chills, it is so beautiful

-How Did We Come to This? from Lippa's Wild Party. Julia carries so much emotion in her voice and it usually makes me cry

-Maria in the OBC of West Side Story. I love Larry Kert's extremely low note on "Maria"

There's a lot I am not certain of...

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#62re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:39am

I love listening to Norbert Leo Butz sing "I'm your Hebrew slave at your service, just tell me what to do" in L5Y. His voce slides on "slave" and it makes me smile every time.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#63re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:44am

Spelling Bee- In the I Love You Song when Olive sings her last "how I wish you were, wish you were home" and she sings home high and soft, while her parents join in.

bwayondabrain
#64re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:58am

when amy sings the "my body's an amusement park, the first ride's on me" part in 'saturday night in the city' (wedding singer)- she sounds so HOT

#65re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 12:14pm

o, and i LOVE the piano in "louder then words". i wish i could play that!

WiiCKED x3
#66re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 12:17pm

I love listening to Norbert Leo Butz sing "I'm your Hebrew slave at your service, just tell me what to do" in L5Y. His voce slides on "slave" and it makes me smile every time.

I get chills everytime re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love

danaonotlater Profile Photo
danaonotlater
#67re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 12:31pm

Because it's pretty much the only thing I'm listening to at the moment...Shout! The Mod Musical

-James Bond Theme - they sing different syllables than they do it the show...amusing
-Puppet On A String - the first note has reminded me of The Lion King since the first time I heard it and it just makes me giggle
-These Boots Are Made For Walking - Julie's two "yeahs" because I can totally picture her saying them.
-I Couldn't Live Without You - the line "that your life was happy with another" because Erica says "with" lispy and "another" as "ah noth er."

I pretty much love anything that is different than they do it in the show because it makes me giggle. re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love

Julian2
#68re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 2:44pm

[title of show]
But you'll have two tight paragraphs on kittens that your grandma would be sooooooooo proud of

A Little Night Music
That may be effective, my body's alright, by not in perspective and not in the light.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 10/28/06 at 02:44 PM

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#69re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 3:41pm

Hope in the background of Mr. Cladwell in Urinetown. "That my daddy, thats my daddy, that MY DAD!"

#70re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 5:39pm

The "trumpet" right after Major Bouvier says, "If she were a whole horse instead of just its ass, I'd shoot her." on the Grey Gardens cast recording.

Hilarious.

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#71re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 6:32pm

Not on a recording but deserves to be because it indeed gives me chills- "Just her and me, the Wicked Witch of the East. We deserve eachother." Ah!

"I see - a river
Flowing for freedom...
I see a river just in view." The first part of that song just makes me want to sing.

"Who needs a dream, who needs ambition." The vocal on top of the kind of carnival sounding chords in the background is amazing.

Pretty much all of "I'd Rather be Sailing."

balletandbroadway
#72re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:33pm

The way that Norbert sings "Nobody Needs to Know"... makes me cry everytime I listen to it...

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Elphaba.Fabala.Fae Profile Photo
Elphaba.Fabala.Fae
#73re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 10:56pm

There are so many, but my current faves:

Little Women -- In the Fire Within Me, after "Only Beth, sitting contented said, in a tone so sweet, even angels would have listened. But we've got each other." The piano plays "somethings are meant to be" it's so haunting and perfect.

Little Women -- Astonishing, after she sings "Here I go..." the orchestra is crazy, I love that.

A Chorus Line -- Mara Davi's "Oh Darlin' you're not old enough to wear a BRA!"

ACL OBC - "He was an Indian Chief and he'd say Maggie, do you want to dance?"

Assassins - Ballad of Booth. After Booth is shot, and the balladeer starts singing again. "Johnny Booth was a headstrong fella ..." and of course, Michael Cerveris is heartbreaking in that song, you're almost forced to be sympathetic!!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#74re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:18pm

OBC A Chorus Line-"Why do I pay for AAAALLL those lessons?! DAAANCEE for Grandma, DAAAANCEE for Grandma!"

Ragtime-Everytime Evelyn Nesbitt sings "Your-h-on-or" during "Crime of the Century"

Grey Gardens- "The House We Live In" "Do you think my costume will stay up? (whispers) I feel something slipping. (whispers more) I feeeeel something."

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 10/28/06 at 11:18 PM

Yero
#75re: Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:27pm

On the Les Mis 10th Anniversary recording, during Fantine's Arrest:
"I'll kill you bastard try any of that."
I just love the way it sounds.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee