pixeltracker

Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???

Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#1Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:13pm

Just read the Playbill article about the Kennedy Center Honors, which includes this:

And, the New York Post reports that Christine Ebersole, who opened to raves in the new Broadway musical Grey Gardens, will perform "As If We Never Said Goodbye," the second-act showstopper from Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard.

Please forgive me if this has been talked about already (I did do a search BTW), but I'm wondering if Ms. Ebersole was ever really considered for the role of Norma Desmond OR if there is talk of a "future revival" (kind of an oxymoron?) with her in the lead.

Does anyone else think that would be something worth seeing?

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#1re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:17pm

Not really... The character is too close and not near as interesting as the one she's currently playing.

Also, SUNSET, lost a truckload of money and will not likely be revived in the near future.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#2re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:20pm

I occasionally hear rumors about a Sunset movie, but with Glenn Close playing Norma. I think the lackluster box office of the Phantom movie has put the whole idea on the back burner.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#3re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:23pm

Thank God. The Wilder film is such a classic, I just don't see the need. Besides, the story just doesn't have the same impact in color...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:28pm

No one needs to hear Glenn Close "sing" again.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

miss pennywise
#5re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:36pm

Yes, I agree with Rath. I don't call what Glenn Close does "singing."

But I would still pay good money to see Christine Ebersole do it. Then again, I'd go to see her in anything.

~ Best12Bars

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 7:17pm

I have to admit I think Ebersole would be devastating as Norma. Ebersole , after GG, will have roles for the taking & it will be interesting what she will do next. I hope her shelf @ home is big enough to hold many Tonys she will be getting in the future. She has come a long way from SNL.

She may be the one that finally breaks the SNL curse.

Poster Emeritus

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#7re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 7:25pm

Although I too would love to see Ebersole take a crack at Norma Desmond (a role she would must deffinetly be wonderful in,) she has already really played that type of part before (both Edie in Grey Gardens and Dorothy Brock in 42nd Street are similar to Norma.) I'd prefer her lending her phenomenal talent to a new piece rather than take on something we've all seen before.

However, as much as I'd like to see her in new things, I also admit she could make a career off of doing revivals. She'd be great for so many classic roles, like Mother in Ragtime, Joanne in Company, Mama Rose in Gypsy... The list goes on.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/3/06 at 07:25 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 7:30pm

Amen. Though I think she'd be a phenomenal Norma, Ms. Ebersole needs to originate roles and help lead us into the next generation of great musical theater.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 7:38pm

Foster, you're overthinking a situation that's never going to happen. It's never going to be revived, and Ebersole is not a big enough name to be cast in a film if there is one.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 12/3/06 at 07:38 PM

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#10re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 7:55pm

Well, but she's going to sing that song, right? I definitely want to see how she will make it.

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

TechEverlasting
#11re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:04pm

"Ebersole is not a big enough name to be cast in a film if there is one"

Christine Ebersole is big. It's the pictures that got small.

miss pennywise
#12re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:21pm

Guys, calm down! This was supposed to be an "imagine if" kinda thread because she's singing that one song.

In MY imagination, she'd be fabulous as Norma Desmond in what I think is the best thing ALW ever wrote (which isn't saying much because I'm not a fan.)

I LOVED Elaine Paige in the role but have never been satisfied with the Glenn Close recording (wouldn't even buy it) nor the Patti LuPone version. I'm happy Ms. Paige recorded a few songs from Sunset Boulevard and would be happy if Ms. Ebersole did, too.

I will be taping the Kennedy Center Honors when it's broadcast later in the month though...you can be sure of that!

P.S. Tech, good one. re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???

~ Best12Bars

Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:25pm

miss p, I agree that SUNSET was the best show Webber ever wrote. I saw Patti perform Norma in London and she was fantastic. But I have no doubt that Ms. Ebersole would be ravishing in the role. I look forward to seeing her take on "As If We Never Said Goodbye". Do you know exactly when it is going to be broadcast?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

miss pennywise
#14re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:40pm

No, Mr. Foster, I do not know exactly when the KC Honors will be broadcast. It's usually a day or two after Christmas, which would be cool because a bunch of us BWWers will be together down in DC on the 27th! (Anyone who dislikes Ms. Ebersole's performance will be politely shown the exit. Or perhaps we will simply break out the hemlock. I always keep a flask handy, don't you? re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???)

~ Best12Bars

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#15re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:42pm

Tech, that was hilarious, thank you.

And, somethingwicked, if Christine Ebersole did either Rose or Mother, you can bet I would sell my soul to see it, but I agree that I want her to create some roles.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

miss pennywise
#16re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/3/06 at 8:53pm

I thought she was adorable as Tessie Tura in GYPSY. I love seeing great actors interpret classic works...as long as they do a good job!!! re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???

~ Best12Bars

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#17re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 12:18am

She would be a tremendous Norma Desmond.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#18re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 12:20am

"Christine Ebersole is big. It's the pictures that got small. "

AMAZING.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 12:30am

Ebersole as Norma is a fantastic idea. However, I doubt it would happen. The bet chance to see it happen would be if some well-known regional theater (i.e. Papermill or Goodspeed) did it, and got her to sign on for a limited run.

I agree with the sentiments that it will be interesting to see where she goes after GG, beause I assume she'll have her pick of stage roles after this.

COOOOLkid
#20re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 1:10am

Would any regional theatre have enough money to build enormous sets?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#21re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 1:19am

Where does it say it HAS to have enormous sets? A revival of SB would not have the same design--particularly because it was such an expensive (albeit amazing) set design.

Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:29am

Ooh...Jerby, you're giving me an idea...what about a John Doyle revival of SUNSET BOULEVARD?

-Kad

TechEverlasting
#23re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 7:26am

Not only are the expensive sets not needed, I think they detracted from the show. I never enjoyed Sunset Blvd more than when I saw the bus and truck tour with Petula Clark as Norma. This tour made creative use of scrims and curtains to create Norma's mansion and the movie studio. Petula was fabulous.

Since John Napier wasn't there to burn through millions of dollars with his overblown sets I think this particular outing of Sunset might have actually made a profit. Not only that, the actors got to use their talents and the audience got to use their imagination to evoke old Hollywood. What a concept.

JBSinger
#24re: Christine Ebersole as Norma Desmond???
Posted: 12/4/06 at 9:01am

Though a Bway revival is unlikely and I doubt she'd go on tour, I bet she'd do a production of Sunset at someplace like Goodspeed or Papermill Playhouse. And, yes, she'd make a fabulous Norma!

Videos