pixeltracker

Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?

Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?

andyf
#1Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/19/06 at 1:57pm

JLY is supposed to be doing six shows a week, taking off the two-show-day matinees, right?

I was just wondering who's been going on for him, like if there's a set schedule of which understudy/swing takes which performances.

ETA: Are the rush seats still in the first few rows on the sides? And what time are people getting there?

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 12/19/06 at 01:57 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/19/06 at 1:59pm

I'm pretty sure Michael Longoria handles those mats now.

But, I could be wrong.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

broadwayguy2
#2re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/19/06 at 2:24pm

It varies. I know Longoria did the last weekend mat.

AnaGFan
#3re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 12:40am

Sometimes it is Michael Longoria, other times Matthew Scott.

The rush tickets are not for the front rows.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#4re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 1:32am

Is Dominic Nolfi still with the show?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 6:40am

Dominic doesn't go on as Frankie anymore? I find it odd that there is no set schedule for who goes on when. I've said this in the past, but what do they do, flip a coin before each matinee?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#6re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:16am

Dominic is still with the show.

I believe he was taken off the Playbill as an understudy for Frankie Valli, and that only Matt and Michael cover the role.

Michael doesn't announce when he goes on anymore. Perhaps they do flip a coin? I'm not sure.

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#7re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 1:17pm

You know they should have some
sort of schedule or something to
go by. I would love to see Michael
Longoria go on as "Frankie" I have
heard only great things about his
performances. I have only seen
Michael play little Joe Pesci and
I love him. He's great in that role
but would like to catch him one day
in the Valli role.

How is Matthew as Frankie?
Has anyone seen him in the
role of Frankie?

Feel the Love - Les Mis

worrell4077
#8re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 1:45pm

"Michael doesn't announce when he goes on anymore. Perhaps they do flip a coin? I'm not sure."

He does, not as much, but he did. I think he announced on his myspace the last performance he covered.

"The rush tickets are not for the front rows."

Well then, where are they? The last time I went in September, the rush seats were still the first rows on the two sides.

I'm going next week to rush it for my birthday, and I'm trying for the night show, even though I wouldn't mind the matinee because I really liked Michael as Frankie and I'm curious to see Matthew go on as Frankie, but can anyone tell me what time people have been getting to the theatre for rush tickets?

onelastrefrain2 Profile Photo
onelastrefrain2
#9re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 1:58pm

The rush seats are the partial view seats in the front row, to the sides. Still. They are also in the second row, to the sides.

hellostar
#10re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 5:22pm

I saw Michael Longoria as Frankie and he was fantastic. I'm a big JLY fan, but I wasn't disappointed at all with Longoria. I actually loved him.

As for the rush tickets, I had front row on the side. They're considered partial view, but they aren't bad at all.

TenThousandThings Profile Photo
TenThousandThings
#11re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 5:49pm

I saw the matinee the day before Thanksgiving (my third time seeing the show) and Michael Longoria was on. He was AMAZING!!! It was hard to get used to him not being Joe Pesci at first -- and a little weird to see Matthew Scott in that role -- but I have to say that he acted the hell out of Frankie. And his vocals, in my opinion, are much stronger than JLY's. The timbre of his voice sounds a lot closer to Frankie Valli's.

JB Fan
#12re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 6:14pm

"And his vocals, in my opinion, are much stronger than JLY's. The timbre of his voice sounds a lot closer to Frankie Valli's. "

I love Longoria, and I think he sings great, however, I disagree about this statement. John Lloyd Young's voice is definately closer to in timbre to Frankie Valli's...it's a darker, more rough sound...Michael's is brighter and more "Tenor-y"...Valli's lower notes, the NON-Falsetto notes, were always more of a Baritone. There is a contemporary brightness to Longoria's voice, and a wobble that doesn't ring as 60's-70's as Young's voice.

Also, Young is so much better at the older Frankie scenes. Don't get me wrong, Longoria is fun, and definately holds his own, and is a GREAT understudy...but I disagree that he is closer to Valli..he is less about imitating the Valli sound, and more about doing his own thing.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#13re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:07pm

I've seen JLY twice and Michael once and I completely agree with JB's assessment. I thought Michael was fantastic but JLY's voice is much closer to Frankie Valli's voice and JLY nails the older Frankie. I do prefer JLY.

That being said, Michael is terrific and you won't be disappointed. And he is an absolute doll in person.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#14re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:19pm

I remember hearing an interview the Boys did and John said that when he does his falsetto he useses chest and head to just let it all out. Michael on the other hand just useses chest when he sings, a lot of people say he should uses chest AND head when he sings, but I think he still sounds great!

"Awww! Boo!"

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#15re: Jersey Boys Matinees - Who's On?
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:04pm

Thanks so much for posting
your opinions on Michael as
Frankie.

I am a huge fan of Jersey Boys,
have seen it many many times, lost
count. Now I do have to make
an effort to get tickets to see