Spring Awakening question

Acurran530
#1Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/27/06 at 10:37pm

Okay sorry for the annoying question but...I am going to see spring awakening on saturday. Me and 3 friends were going to go to tkts two hours before opening.Do you think it is worth it with all the crouds? Do you think I'll get tickets? Any advice?

Thanks,
Acurran530

Chipster07
#2re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/27/06 at 10:42pm

I was in NY today to see Spring Awakening (got tix for christmas) and the city was really crowded...the most crowded I have ever seen it this time of year. I'm sure TKTS will be packed, but give it a try, you never know! :)

Acurran530
#2re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/27/06 at 11:01pm

yeah I think your right. I just don't want it to be sold out.
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 11:01 PM

Acurran530
#3re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/27/06 at 11:35pm

Student rush, has anyone tried it for SA? How long do you have to go before they open at 10am? Where are the seats?

jsand25 Profile Photo
jsand25
#4re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/27/06 at 11:43pm

last saturday i know SA was on TKTS for the matinee. not sure about the sat evening performance or what this weekend will be like...

tearsforhari
#5re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/28/06 at 2:04am

I saw SA last Saturday evening for the student RUSH price of $25. The box is gracious. You are supposed to go early in the morning, but I managed to buy mine a little before the show. The show will be in bad taste if you take your parents or other elderly. The music is pretty good. You can read my blog of it at http://broadwayreviews.googlepages.com to get an idea of the content. There are also helpful hints at my blog site for getting inexpensive tickets for many shows and links to other sites that could have answered your question. Take a look!
Updated On: 12/28/06 at 02:04 AM

gman07 Profile Photo
gman07
#6re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/28/06 at 9:58am

The NY Times (Both theatre critics), NY Post, NY Observer, NY Sun, Variety, NY Daily News, Newsday, Associated Press, Newark Star Ledger, Time Out New York , The Independent, Curtain Up, USA Today, Theatre Mania, The Nation, The Washington Post, NewYorkOlogy, AM-New York, Bloomberg News, NYTheatre.com all gave Spring Awakening very good notices. SA is on more top ten lists than any other show along with Grey Gardens. I would tend to think these people know allot more about the theatre than a few internet chatters that just don't get it. Spring Awakening is Awesome!!! But don't take my word for it Google Spring Awakening reviews and read what the real critics have to say about this wonderful production.

Updated On: 12/28/06 at 09:58 AM

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#7re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/28/06 at 10:02am

I did student rush yesterday. I got on-line around 8:00 am, and there were about 10 people waiting. By 8:30 - 8:45 there were 40+ people waiting. They opened the box office at 9:45 instead of 10:00 which was nice.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#8re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/28/06 at 10:04am

tearsforhari, I also saw the show last Saturday evening via student rush. I arrived at the box office at 12:30 that afternoon and there were still student tickets left for both performances. I was very surprised, after hearing how they are usually sold out only minutes after the box office opens. Every weekend seems to be different.

Spring Awakening is a wonderful show that, in my opinion, needs to be seen more than once to fully appreciate all of the nuanced performances by the cast. And the score is easily the best I've heard all year.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Broadway_Life_101 Profile Photo
Broadway_Life_101
#9re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/28/06 at 10:17am

sorry to thread jack but i'm going in with a friend this friday for their matinee and wondered what time i should get there in the morning...do you think it will be crowded on friday at SA?

thanks in advance

tearsforhari
#10re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/29/06 at 2:40am

SNLMEDIA. I agree with you on the whole. The performers and the background music were good in SA. I wrote my review more against the NYTime critics, who always try to bring deeper but dark theatre to Broadway, and less toward the show. But I do feel a show like this, indeed, borders on good taste. I get to see many shows around Manhattan that basically are very similar in content to SA. I think my recent pick would be THE SCENE playing at the Second Stage. Although I am sarcastic in my review of THE SCENE, I did enjoy it.
Updated On: 12/29/06 at 02:40 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#11re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/29/06 at 7:31am

"The NY Times (Both theatre critics), NY Post, NY Observer, NY Sun, Variety, NY Daily News, Newsday, Associated Press, Newark Star Ledger, Time Out New York , The Independent, Curtain Up, USA Today, Theatre Mania, The Nation, The Washington Post, NewYorkOlogy, AM-New York, Bloomberg News, NYTheatre.com all gave Spring Awakening very good notices."

SO?

Does that mean that other people are not entitled to their opinions? I enjoyed most of the music in the show but it by no means blew me away. I would recommend that people see it but I don't intend seeing it a second time. I found all of the teenage angst quite predictable and the show held no surprises for me. Hopefully I am entitled to my personal opinion and don't have to walk in step with the critics and papers mentioned above. I respect their opinions even though I don't necessarily agree with all of them.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

McFrenzied Profile Photo
McFrenzied
#12re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:13am

Although I am sarcastic in my review of THE SCENE, I did enjoy it.

TearsforHari, do you think one has to be sarcastic in order to be a good reviewer? Personally, and not to be mean, but I wonder why you feel like you would make a good reviewer. Your grammatical abilities aside, I was really offended by your review of "Chamber Maid" from 2004 which for some reason is on your homepage. "I'd like to smell her genitalia"? Are you serious? How old are you??

tearsforhari
#13re: Spring Awakening question
Posted: 12/29/06 at 12:42pm

I agree with PAB above. Most of the show was predictable.

McFenzied: In "Diary of a Chambermaid," I was literally flashed by one of the actors within a few feet of my bleacher seat in that hot Walker Space theatre. What I wrote is indeed an accurate description of the play; and I was the one who was rather offended... Of course, I chalked it up as one of those Manhattan experiences. But it is more of an poor reflection of the director, the theatre, and the lack of public ratings for theatre than a distasteful reflection my review.

Also, I do not really review shows. I could care less. I simply tell what is in the show and let the readers make up their own mind. The emotional tone of my overviews give the readers the gist of what to expect by the content of the show. I think that is what most of the general audience really cares about. And no, the critics do not always come forth. I think that is why Ms. Jefferson at the NYTimes lost her position a few years ago over "Where do we live?"

Updated On: 12/29/06 at 12:42 PM

Videos