HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS

Night Life Love
#1HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 5:40pm

I am a 16 year old girl and have been given the "privilege" to experience high school musical THREE times.
First time-I saw the movie. Enough torture.
Second time-My theatre camp, stagedoor manor, got the very first rights to it and the first to perform it. Naturally, kids who were cast in that show grew heads the size of whales and for a while people forgot what musicals were supposed to sound like.
Third time-My high school just finished it. I wouldn't have tried out, but no matter how much the show annoys me I want to get as much experience as possible. And singing those lyrics, especially the duets between the troy character and my own, made me realize how doopey it really is.

1. Spontanious dancing on lunch tables doesn't happen, the tables that are usually in a cafeteria have wheels, so that amount of weight on the wheels would move the table and there would be catastrophy.

2. People in highschool don't bake. Well at least not baked goods. If zeke was baking at all, he was definatly smoking marajuana. Thats why he enjoys cooking so much. He bakes before he bakes.

3. Disney put an overly Gay character in, but didn't have the balls to admit that he was gay. He dances, dresses with 'flair' and is an overall "bitch." Plus, they made him illiterate (sp?), which didn't even make sence.

4. If East High never wins, then West High must be one of the most ballin' schools in the world.

5. At many points, the song lyrics don't make sense, or are flat out depressing. Too depressing for disney. I'm surprised kids didn't cry there eyes out when Gabby wonders "Why did I let myself belive that miracles can happen. And now I have to pretend that I don't really care."

6. A freaking two year old knows what a Cello is, and what S8erdude does with his hands doesn't look like a ****ing saw.

7. Teenagers would have kissed when the clock struck 12 on New Years eve. They probably would have had sex and got drunk, juging from the lack of care that the parents seem to have for their kids.

8. What the **** does "Pop like a mop" mean. Or "Do the romp." Plus, Ryan and Sharpay are SO doing it.

9. If Martha from the movie stood on a real table, she would probably break it. Becuase she's not really thin.

10. It only rhymes half the time. They rhyme "Left" with "Defence." They rhyme ." They rhyme "Go" with "Notes." "Understand" and "Chance." I could go on for hours.

11. Musicals require acting too, ya know.

I needed to vent. This show is really really stupid.

ps. i know three and eight kind of contradict eachother. I don't care.
pps. if you like high school musical, im sorry you had to read this. But if you're over 13, you really shouldn't anyway.

The one that loves the most...is at the mercy of the one that loves the least.

Night Life Love
#2re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 5:51pm

oh yes and its really realistic that Troy and Gabriella know the harmonies of the Kareoke to a song they've never heard of. loveeee itttttt.

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#2re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 5:53pm

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

The best is: OMGZ I NEVER KNEW I COULD SING BE4!!11one!11

I have to deal with this nearly every day.

Night Life Love
#3re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 5:56pm

your welcome re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
every day? that must be insane.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#4re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 5:57pm

ahahahaahahahahah!

ahh it ALWAYS bothered me how they just knew the harmonies! yes because i'm sure a jock like troy just KNOWS how to read music with perfect pitch and everything.

you're funny, girl.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:02pm

"Spontanious dancing on lunch tables doesn't happen"

1. It's called suspension of disbelief

2. How do you explain the spontanious dancing in Rent?

Just sayin'. I hate the movie to, but did we need YET another thread on it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Night Life Love
#6re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:03pm

ah yes but did the tables in rent have wheels?

but i do apologize if this is the hundreth bulletin about it. i havent been on this website in a while.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#7re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:09pm

or in FAME?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#8re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:14pm

>> This show is really really stupid.

I love you.

http://docandraider.com

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#9re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:18pm

You did an anyalysis?

actor
#10re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:26pm

I think the lyrics are "flop like a mop" not "pop like a mop" actually.

Night Life Love
#11re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 6:30pm

flop like a mop?

re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS

why disney? why?

Updated On: 1/23/07 at 06:30 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#12re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 7:17pm

Zip zap zop
Pop like a mop

According to www.stlyrics.com.

I popped a mop once. Never again.
Updated On: 1/23/07 at 07:17 PM

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#13re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 7:35pm

While I'm not a High School musical fan, I think you're digging a bit to deep to insult HSM. MUSICALS in general are never realistic. I really don't think that "because kids dance on tables and the tables would break in real life" isn't a very good reason to hate a musical. High School Musical was written for pre-teens. I don't think Disney ever expected sixteen year olds to enjoy it. Just my two cents. I'm not out to attack anyone.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#14re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 7:44pm

Haha. That was funny. HSM2 is going to be so much worse.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#15re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 8:05pm

Damn, you're a bit snobby for a 16 year old. HSM is almost all fluff, but it does have a catchy score and okay story. Here's some thoughts to your questions...

1-How is it okay for someone to break into song and have people all dance the same moves, yet the thought of wheels on a lunch table are out of the question?
2-Why is Ryan's sexuality important to the story? Does he ever make a pass for Troy?
3-Kids in High School do bake. Zeke may boast of baking different things than most, but some high school kids do indeed bake.
4- I'm not gonna dignify that with a response.
5-The song lyrics are depressing, huh? Make sure you never see a broken hearted Mama Rose, Phantom or Beast... Cause they're a barrel of laughs.
6-It's totally possible that a skater may not know what a cello is... Just like us theatre folk may not know all the terms a skater knows.
7-Not all teenagers have sex on New Years. What kind of high school do you go to where no-one bakes and everyone f***s?
8-While we're at it, if "Pop like a mop" is wierd for you, don't ever see Grease...
"rama lama lama kadingy,kading-a-dong
shoowop, shoowally,wally yippity boom-de-boom
chang-chang, changadee-chang-chibop
yip, ayip,ayip, ayip, shoowa, sha wooly-woo
booglede, boogldee, booglede,booglede, shooby shoowop, shabop"
9-Wow... Such a grown up comment... At least you could play Sharpay!
10-Sometimes things in shows don't ryhme when read, but depending on how it is sung, may sound different with a sung vowel tone.
11-If you're such an amazing judge of acting, shouldn't you have been cast as the lead in your summer camp too?

Wow, I spent way too much time on that... But in the future, if you're going to hate a show with a passion, try to think of better excuses. It sounds to me that you're just still bitter about summer camp.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#16re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 8:14pm

Thank you copeman63! Yeah, you made so many generalzations about high schools in your analysis that really made you no better then the fluff that is High School Musical.
And for the record, at my school we do dance on the tables. re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#17re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 8:16pm

Thank you, ILoveMyDictionary!
Thank you, Copeman63!
Edit [ Thank you, also, withoutlovewithoutU, and anybody else after this post who manages to post without going all HSM fangirl or going all anti-HSM fangirl! ]

I will reiterate something I mentioned on a topic in the Students board:

Jeez Loueez! I think everybody is so ridiculous regarding HSM. Either they're frothing-at-the-mouth "Lyk ong itz tha best n a great exmpul of musical theetur!!", or they're frothing-at-the-mouth "Lyk ong itz tha best n mi 2-yr-old kid culd do bettur!!" Isn't there any room for those of us who like (or dislike) it and at least have perspective (because got forbid we actually be sane!)?

I don't think it's a brilliant piece of musical theatre, no. But it's really good if taken in the spirit in which it is intended, and hey, it is Disney (this both indicates what we're working with, and gives half the reason I love it). It's a really good family movie-musical and it's one of the first original movie-musicals in decades (Moulin Rouge! used pre-existing, known, songs; I don't feel that it counts).

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com
Updated On: 1/23/07 at 08:16 PM

Night Life Love
#18re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 9:24pm

copeman first of all these things aren't to be taken as seriously as you are taking them. I just needed to vent and had fun doing it :)

and by the way, high school musical was just one of the thirteen shows we did in that three weeks at my camp. The one I was in was Les Miserables. I played Eponine. And I jsut had my turn playing Gabriella with school. I'm quite content with the roles I have been recieving, thank you

Updated On: 1/23/07 at 09:24 PM

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#19re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:19pm

As I said, you'd be a perfect Sharpay.

Or Martha.

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

Dibbledl01
#20re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:25pm

I just feel sorry for all the pre-teens who really believe HSM portrays real high school life....good God...they're in for a treat freshman year...lol

can you imagine some HSM lover's first lunch of freshman year and just randomly jumps on the lunch table and starts singing his heart out?...I would probably say my life is complete and that's all I need to see on this Earth...lol

trickedout22
#21re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/25/07 at 11:48am

haha that was pretty funny, and i agree 1000% that the movie is so stupid, but just remember its for kids that have no clue what real theatre is like. HSM is stupid pop songs..and the people in the movie cant sing or act or dance

husk_charmer
#22re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/25/07 at 12:23pm

I'm gonna be interested to see how they pull off the "On Ice" version.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#23re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/25/07 at 1:02pm

I like how you called this a "bulletin."

This isn't MySpace.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#24re: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ANALYSIS
Posted: 1/25/07 at 4:00pm

1. Sorry, tho that may not happen...this was MUSICAL. And guess what hun...stuff like that happens in musicals. Deal with it. I just choreographed it for my old high school and we used those tables with wheels, and haven't had a problem. So ur wrong there

2. I bake. I love to bake, I was in high school. I also took a foods class. Does that make me a drug addict?

3. He's for comedic timing. DUH! And who cares. There are a lot of gay characters. Maybe you're a homophobe (sp?)

5. It's disney. The lyrics were gonna go over the kids heads anyway. And a lot of musicals have depressing lyrics, it's called a SAD SONG. Dont see les mis...you MAY want to kill urself after, and I'd hate for that to happen.

6. Not everyone knows what intruments are, that's not always common knowledge. I didn't know what a cello was until I was about 14, and my friend in high school played it. It's quite possible for someone not to know. Hope no one makes fun of you down th eline somewhere when YOU don't know something.

7. That was a sad generalization of teenagers. "Oh yes, we simply must **** each other at midnight". Obviously you're not mature enough to realize that no everyone is like that.

9. Wow, I hope no one ever makes fun of you. Actually, I hope they do. Then you'll realize how shallow and superficial you just sounded.

I'm not necessarily defending this musical, because it is silly, and it is a bunch of fluff. But that's exactly what it was meant to be! And its getting kids to venture out into musical theater again, and explore other shows...which is a great thing.

Plus, the reasons behind ur "rant" where very shallow, superficial, un-thought through, and plain ignorant. Maybe you should actually have a valid point to make before the next time you go shooting off your mouth (or should I say fingers)

and if you said these things weren't to be taken seriously, then why did you post in the first place?
Oh that's right...you needed to "vent". But, usually when people vent they are venting about the stuff that truly bugs them, and is meant to be taken seriously.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...
Updated On: 1/25/07 at 04:00 PM

Videos