saw journey's end tonight

stagegrrrl
#1saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 12:59am

saw the preview of journey's end tonight and i was so thoroughly impressed.
it is just gorgeous.
the performances were so lovely. such committed, beautiful work. the set was so intimate, so oppressive, almost claustrophobic.
you could almost smell the gunpowder, feel the dust rising from the explosions.
it is beautifully dimly lit and you really feel as if you are in the bunker with these men.
it was just so refreshing to see such a wonderful revival so vividly, unsentimentally brought to life.
well done to the cast and crew and i wish them a successful, prosperous run.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 12:59am

Couldn't agree more.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:05am

yer thoughts were more better than the lyrics of SPRING AWAKENING stagegrrl
You made me wanna see Journey's end

stagegrrrl
#3re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:06am

lol. thanks curtain. you should go. and maybe i should start writing lyrics!

BSoBW2
#4re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:10am

For those interested:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=15369

This video got me quite excited for the play. It looks like it will be a fantastic production.

Does anyone know if there is a any sort of rush going on? TDF?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#5re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:12am

$20 rush, and it's on TDF right now.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BSoBW2
#6re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:13am

Excellent!
It's when the BO opens? Rush is whatever is left over?

Thanks!

MargoChanning
#7re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:17am

I also found very moving and powerful. The performances are all terrific (this is the best I think I've ever seen Boyd Gaines) and the design work (lighting, sets, costumes and sound) is all first rate. I'd highly recommend it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

stagegrrrl
#8re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 8:41pm

bumping this because i really feel that it deserves to be seen.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 8:45pm

I'll be at opening night tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

brainpolice23
#10re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 8:48pm

jefferson mays is one of my favorite actors. after "I am my own wife" we had like a 15 minute discussion about the power of movement in developing characterization. can't wait to see this.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 8:53pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Yankeefan007
#12re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 9:03pm

Hmmm....Where are the rush seats located?

onelastrefrain2 Profile Photo
onelastrefrain2
#13re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 9:07pm

I did rush for the saturday matinee and was front row center. I think it's whatever tickets they have left though, since the rest of the front row was filled up with seniors. The couple next to be bought their tickets off TDF.
Updated On: 2/21/07 at 09:07 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#14re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 9:42pm

Used the $25 ticket code, and got Orch B for March 7th-

Really looking forward to this !

Gothampc
#15re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 10:02pm

"Does anyone know if there is a any sort of rush going on? TDF?"

Preview tickets have been given to the papering services. I got a ticket off Audience Extras.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#16re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/21/07 at 10:29pm

What's the $25 discount code. It sounds like a great play.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:24am

Boyd, dust off the shelf for another TONY.
WOW

stagegrrrl
#18re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:31am

amen to that

BSoBW2
#19re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:34am

Definitely will see this in March now that a spot cleared up!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#20re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:36am

I can't wait to go again. Maybe next week. I can't remember the last time I was DYING to see a show again this bad.

Boyd, dust off the shelf for another TONY.
WOW

From your lips to God's ears...

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#21re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 2/22/07 at 4:06pm

re: saw journey's end tonight

did they change the Journey's End Playbill?

the one i have doesn't look like the one they're advertising on Playbill.com (as shown above).

is this normal for them to change the Playbill up?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#22re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:29am

I'm seeing this tomorrow night, after getting last minute tickets. So I went on here to do some research about it. I can't wait to see it now that I've read all the great reviews, from critics and posters alike.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#23re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:20pm

I saw Journey's End opening night, and my playbill did not say Opeining night, why is this?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#24re: saw journey's end tonight
Posted: 3/3/07 at 3:14pm

so I saw the show last night, and I was overwhelmingly moved by the final 30 minutes. I think it touched a nerve because my Brother is in Afghanistan right now, and right from the start, I associated him with Stark Sands' Character, Raleigh.

SPOILER

those final moments in darkness with the very loud bomb effects, leading into the final picture were so devestatingly powerful, I was close to convulsing in my chair.

END SPOILER

anyway- the whole cast- all around amazing. Not a single weak link among them, and they were commited 100% to bringing this story to us. I loved the themes of hero worship, reality taking over naivety, and brotherhood in the face of adversity. It was all very real to me.

All the effects, like the dust blowing in, for example, were not overdone. Everything was subtle and had a quiet perfection to it. The set was fantastic and conveyed the claustrophobia of the trenches very well, and was enhanced by the wonderfully creative natural lighting with the candles.

AS for the script, some parts are slow, and dated, but it does not have that dated feel to it, thanks to the wonderful direction of the actors. There are small bursts of action that happen throughout to keep your attention, in between long dialogue sections, but as they say in the show, That is what war is. It is waiting for something to happen, and then it happens quickly, is over, and you wait again. But it was the continual payoffs of these wonderful "Bursts" of action that made the whole show one of the best executed Broadway plays I have seen.

If anyone is on the fence about seeing this show- Hop that fence and buy a ticket, you will not regret it.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Videos