notyourself
#76re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/25/07 at 9:59pm

anyone know?

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#77re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 3:41pm

"did bebe neuwirth show up and belt out nowadays when catherine zeta was nominated?"

I just had to say, when I read this I started laughing so hard in my office that I had to cover it up and pretend I was having a coughing attack.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

Fosse76
#78re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:07pm

"She is almost a caricature of herself."

It looked more like an SNL parody.

#79re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:11pm

Its like she's been watching and then imitating the drag queens who have been doing her over the years!

kevs
#80re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:29pm

The CBS interview is now on The Site, if anyone wants to see it. I liked seeing the old footage of Dreamgirls. I still can't believe Jennifer actually thought she would be called for the part of Effie. Baffling.

And I also watched her E! performance on The Site. It was awful. Just awful. Her voice has diminished so much. I can't believe she thinks she is now singing better than she ever has. This woman lives in a town called Delusion.

Hank
#81re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 5:40pm

btw, She was on the Today Show this morning, together with Jennifer Hudson in a surprise appearance. I'm surprised no one has brought it up on this board yet.
Ms Hudson explained that without the wonderful performances Ms Holliday and the original Broadway cast, there would be no need to make this movie. It was really nice to see them together.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#82re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 5:52pm

I just saw Jen1's E! performance at THE SITE. I've been a fan of hers forever but she really needs to give up the ghost of Effie Melody White. It's past time to move on somehow anyhow. That was also hardly her best performance of that song. It just didn't work in that context. Please don't let Whitney comeback attempting to live off old glory like this.

Before anyone beats me down for making the comparison it's no secret that Miss Holliday was never very fond of Miss Houston either when both were under contract at Arista. Miss Holliday raised a stank when Miss Houston performed HER "signature tune" in concert the first time. Miss Houston's lukewarm version is also available at THE SITE.

The really interesting thing about all of this is that musicals & plays in the US are considered 'dramatic works' and afforded a level of copyright protection above and beyond that of mere popular recordings. The forefathers were very careful to bestow "grand rights" upon dramatic works. No one can commercially reproduce any portion of a dramatic work in the US w/o the express consent of ALL copyright holders, end of story. Ergo, unless the Bennett estate and/or any of the other copyright holders of the musical work have assigned a portion of authorship (or copyright) to Miss Holliday, she really needs to shut the f*ck up.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 2/27/07 at 05:52 PM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#83re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:00pm

Very, very sad.

Oh, and kevs, she doesn't just live there, she's the mayor.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Fosse76
#84re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:09pm

"The really interesting thing about all of this is that musicals & plays in the US are considered 'dramatic works' and afforded a level of copyright protection above and beyond that of mere popular recordings. The forefathers were very careful to bestow "grand rights" upon dramatic works. No one can commercially reproduce any portion of a dramatic work in the US w/o the express consent of ALL copyright holders, end of story. "

What on earth are you talking about? The Copyright Laws are written by CONGRESS, and can be changed anytime they feel like it. They can pass a bill tomorrow that puts everything over ten years old into the public domain if they wanted to. Please do not spout out irrelevant nonsense you obviously know nothing about. And, generally speaking, once a show is produced, the producer becomes the rights holder for public performances, the authors only retain authorship and royalty rights (i.e., changes to the script, lyrics or music etc. cannot be made).

javero Profile Photo
javero
#85re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:19pm

Fosse...I do take some issue with your making assumptions about my background & competence. However I'm not going to jump into the fray about this. Just do the research yourself as it relates to the distinction between grand rights & small rights in regard to US copyright protection of 'dramatic works'. Furthermore thare are a distinct set of rights touching upon several areas not some monolith, e.g. authorship, publication, copying including mechanical reproduction, assignment etc.

Updated On: 2/27/07 at 06:19 PM

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#86re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:55pm

Raviolisun,

I actually heard that J-Holla just got elected as Governor in the state of Delusion.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

#87re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:59pm

Javero and Fosse- girls now, please..you are both pretty!

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#88re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:10pm

Actually, she was just inaugurated as the president of The United States of Delusion.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

javero Profile Photo
javero
#89re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:16pm

Deena, I don't know about Fosse...but there's no girl here OK!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#90re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:27pm

Yeah, Deena, next time check between the legs first, like we do with all dogs.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#91re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:30pm

I am responding to someone earlier calling Jennifer Holiday a notoriuos bitch...Actually, having been in contact with one of the crew members of Chicago, i heard quite the opposite. She was actually a very sweet person. The only problem really that she is known for in the Broadway business is that she has poor time management. Other than that, she's actaully not difficult nor mean to her fellow cast members...

Bebe Newirth on the other hand is a completely different story...

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

MovieGuy1031
#92re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:51pm

Oooh! Justice, please elaborate! I'd love to hear Bebe Neuwirth horror stories!!!

- Eeyore

MovieGuy1031
#93re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 7:51pm

I knew I smelled a Double Post...

- Eeyore
Updated On: 2/27/07 at 07:51 PM

#94re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:10pm

OK then, Fosse and Javero...boys, you're both pretty! LOL

SporkGoddess
#95re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:08pm

She wasn't even singing the song in its original key.

Her voice is just shot. And, after seeing that Tonys performance, I'm not surprised.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

LoringsGuy
#96re: Jennifer Holliday on CBS This morning
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:19pm

Ooh, YES, please....spill the dirt on Bebe!

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY