pixeltracker

Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?

Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?

#1Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:33pm

I understand she was Sheryl Lee Ralph's understudy... I can't imagine her being very good.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#2re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:35pm

I had no idea she was the u/s for Sheryl...

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

#2re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:38pm

http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=4152

Here ya go...scroll all the way down. She wa known as Phylicia Ayers Allen (Debbie Allen's sister)

BSoBW2
#3re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:39pm

I remember reading that when the understudy was needed, they passed over Rashad and she quit the show.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#4re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:39pm

Well look at that!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

#5re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:41pm

Who was the understudy then?

MargoChanning
#6re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:21pm

I'm blanking on who filled in (though it might have been Debbie Burrell who later took over Deena when Sheryl Lee Ralph left the show), but I know that when Ralph went on vacation during the first year, BSO is right that Bennett refused to let Phylicia do the role that week. As a result, she quit the show.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:43pm

From what I understand, a similar scenario happened when the original Glinda, Dee Dee Bridgewater, left THE WIZ, a few years before DREAMGIRLS. Rashad (Ayers-Allen) was the 1st understudy and when it came to replacing Bridgewater, Rashad was passed over and the role was given to newcomer Deborah Burrell, who subsequently went on to replace Sheryl Lee Ralph in DREAMGIRLS a few years later after Rashad had dropped out.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/27/07 at 09:43 PM

#8re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 8:23am

Interesting...I can't imagine Phylicia as Deena. Her voice seems too low.

NiteOwl Profile Photo
NiteOwl
#9re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 8:48am

Phylicia Rashad did go on for Sheryl Lee Ralph. I saw her in the role. From what I can remember she did a fine job. I had the Playbill but in my subsequent moves it was lost if not I would scan it for you.

She didn't do it for long though. Linda Leilani Brown was brought in from the short lived National Tour to permanently replace Ralph in the Broadway version. That's when Rashad up and quit the show.

"I'm only 17 and am running on 6 cups of coffee so, forgive me if things that I post seem spastic." ~ Elphaba 43

husk_charmer
#10re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 8:56am

The full story is that she had been going on very successfully, and when Ralph went on vacation they were gearing up for the tour, so Bennet opted to give Linda Leliani Brown some more rehearsal time and have her take over while Ralph was out. This really bothered Rashad, who might have actually gotten to replace Ralph later, and she quit. Michael Bennet told her this was the biggest mistake she'd ever make, she said well I have an audition for a TV show, he told her she'd never amount to anything, and that show was "The Cosby Show." One of the few times Bennet actually had to eat his words.

I've actually heard beautiful things about her Deena and her Glinda in "The Wiz"

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:07am

I've only heard her sing in BERNARDA ALBA and what I heard was FAR from impressive.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

NiteOwl Profile Photo
NiteOwl
#12re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:12am

From what I remember her singing voice was just fine as "Deena". It had a smoky, sexy quality. It sure was a helluva lot better than Linda Leilani Brown's voice. LLB's voice was the most annoying high pitched, nasally shriek. Not at all pleasant on the ears. I believe the only reason she was even given the role was because of her all-too-obvious resemblance to Diana Ross.

"I'm only 17 and am running on 6 cups of coffee so, forgive me if things that I post seem spastic." ~ Elphaba 43

Kringas
#13re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:23am

I have a several clips from Johnny Carson, etc with LLB. We always referred to her as "Scary Dreamgirl."

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Jazzysuite82
#14re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:28am

OK first of all let's be real for a moment...

Phylicia is too low for Deena?! Have you HEARD Sheryl Lee sing? She certainly isn't known for her range. I recall Only in New York from Millie belting to a grand G above middle C (touching at one point a B). Yes there are tenors who could sing that...higher.

As far as Phyicia's vocal abilities, I would say watch the Cosby show. While her range isn't huge, it's higher than it is now (Cosby premiered over 20 years ago).

I don't see why people can't see her in this role. Judging from early pictures of her, she seems she would have been interesting to watch. This WAS 25 years ago.
Updated On: 2/28/07 at 09:28 AM

Kringas
#15re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:30am

I just remember her performing on the Tonys for "Into the Woods" and she sounded awful.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

philcrosby
#16re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:31am

re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?

I just found Rashad's disco LP tribute to Josephine Baker. Haven't played it yet.

Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:36am

Jazzysuite82, have you heard her sing?

-Kad

Jazzysuite82
#18re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:44am

Believe me I have on several occasions and not all of them involved Bernarda Alba. Where have you heard her?

BTW I repeat Sherly Lee wasn't so hot a vocalist either. Deena's not supposed to be a powerhouse. She's just pretty
Updated On: 2/28/07 at 09:44 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:46am

Only when I saw BERNARDA ALBA. And that was enough for me.

(Oh, and at the IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE Benefit for the Actors Fund -- if that counts.)

-Kad

Updated On: 2/28/07 at 09:46 AM

#20re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:49am

Ok Jazzy, to get real...I said I think Phylicia's voice is too low...you didn't read my message correctly.

Jazzysuite82
#21re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:51am

Actually I read you post and I simply made a typo. I inverted the names. It's now corrected. The point still stands...which you didn't really comment on.

Foster, I think if you heard her a little earlier, you MIGHT not have the same opinion. Who knows. I'm not claim her to be a powerhouse singer, but I think her voice was adequate enough to handle Deena. Updated On: 2/28/07 at 09:51 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#22re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:01am

I think Rashad has a lovely voice. She is appropriate for ALBA, but she was in top vocal form during her INTO THE WOODS stint.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#23re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:30am

OOH- I forgot I saw her in that and she wasn't helf bad!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 11:33am

circa 1981 (when DREAMGIRLS first opened on Broadway):

re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?

Videos