pixeltracker

Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?

Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 11:40am

1) Thank God Lohan isn't touching anything Williams.
2) Newly discovered screenplay?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070313b.php

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Yankeefan007
#2re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 3:49pm

Glad Lohan dropped out.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 3:53pm

Lohan is a good actress.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 3:55pm

Not.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SorryGrateful
#4re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:03pm

Oooh! How exciting! I can't wait to see this!

And I just have to stand up for Lindsay Lohan. I think that if she got her sh-t together she could be an excellent actress. I know it's silly, but I really like her work.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

MargoChanning
#5re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:18pm

I haven't read this work, but there's probably a reason it's remained unproduced and unpublished for so long. After the death of his lover Frank Merlo in 1964, Williams spent the rest of his life suffering long bouts of depression and in a constant alcohol and drug-induced haze -- and his work suffered for it. While he wrotes dozens of plays, screenplays, and stories, none of them approached the mastery of his work in the 40s and 50s and a lot of it is downright embarassing.

This work was apparently written in 1980, just a couple of years before his death (he choked on the bottle cap from one of the innumerable bottles of pills he ingested daily). While it'll probably be an interesting little curio (like much of his later work), I wouldn't expect it to be some lost masterpiece.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#6re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:23pm

Big Williams fan here and actually I think the screenplay (which anyone can read--it's published in one of his collectiosn and hadly newly discovered--as Margo also said) is one of his stronger later works and has a lot of potential though that name doesn't sit well with me. Then again I have a lot of love for some o his 70s work that no one else seems to (Vieux Carre and especially SMall Craft Warnings)

But even I can't defend his last novel Moise and the World of Reason despite some gorgeous passages--what a mess

MargoChanning
#7re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 5:11pm

I saw a production of CLOTHES FOR A SUMMER HOTEL several years ago and while it was mostly an incoherent mess, there was a scene or two in it that I thought were worthy of him in his prime. It's as if the fog in his brain lifted and lucidity suddenly had broken through on the days he wrote those scenes. That seems to be the case with much of his later works -- the writing mostly unfocused and scattered, but there are occasional flashes of brilliance.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#8re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 5:14pm

I had my hands on the screenplays of two rather well-loved writers (of film and theatre)...there was indeed a reason these screenplays remained unproduced. They were great reads because of what they were but they did not need to be made into films.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 6:20pm

I would love to have Williams do the screenplays to the movies of his works that were made.

Poster Emeritus

ABSteel Profile Photo
ABSteel
#10re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/13/07 at 6:24pm

I love Howard, but I was so excited to see Lindsay! I love her. I thinks he's a great actress. MEAN GIRLS, any one? Great comedic timing.

Oh well.

"A girl like me lands on her feet."

#11re: Newly Discovered Tennessee Williams Screenplay?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 8:33am

Sing a SOng--I'm confused... Do you mean this screenplay? C uz, umm it's been published for quite a while...

"I would love to have Williams do the screenplays to the movies of his works that were made."

Yeah if they could be made in this day and age I agree--it's too bad that some my faves of his plays were hacked so badly for the Hollywood censors (I love the casts of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Sweet Bird of Youth but both are badly cut up, Bird of cours ebeing nearly ridiculous with its happy ending--and Nicholas ROeg's tv remake with Liz Taylor sadly didn't do much to help things). A few good adaptations got thru--Streetcar for the most part, Gore Vidal's Suddenly Last Summer which caputred the tone even while softenin git, IMHO, Lumet's underated Fugitive Kind (even if the tv filming of Hall's revival of Orpheus Descending is a better version fo the play--that needs ot get a DVD release)

Videos