OUR Lovely LEADING LADY

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 9:48am

I had the honor of seeing Charles Busch's latest smart comedy of theatrics -- OUR LEADING LADY -- last night at Manhattan Theatre Club. I say honor because, it was one of those rare experiences when you are in an intimate performance space, and before you is a troupe of top notch theatre artists presenting material that not only matches their talent, but compliments it as well.

OUR LEADING LADY takes place in Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC, in April of 1865. A group of actors at this regional theatre are rehearsing a play, and are being coached by "visiting artist" Laura Keene (Kate Mulgrew), who is naturally also starring in their production.

The conniving Ms. Keene whips up a plan in which she invites an historical icon to attend one of the play's performances, knowing in her utmost self-confidence that he will be so very taken by her performance that he will name the theatre after her; she will have full reign of all future productions, giving her the chance to dump the company's tired, long employed performers and replace them with stars from New York. The Diva Keene will build a legacy as the theatre's divine, praised Leading Lady and she will finally get her due.

But, as we all know in the theatre, such plans do not always work out without some backstage drama to mix things up along the way.

Kate Mulgrew OWNS the stage as Laura Keene from the moment she opens her royal trap. Ms. Keene is the *ultimate* 19th Century Diva. Classy, snide, divine and back stabbing all in one, and only in the most glorious ways. Ms. Mulgrew delivers Busch's laugh out loud funny lines with a deadpan seriousness that bounces off the audience members' senses to create comic perfection.

Mulgrew could easily carry the play on her own shoulders, but luckily she is supported by a group of even handed comic pros, delivering unique, finely pitched performances that move the plot along whilst keeping the audience on their toes.

The clear standout among the supporting players is the unexpected Barbara Bryne as petite, little old lady Maude Bentley. She performs with an unexpected command and wistful ownership of her role to a degree that the audience is often caught off guard by the comic lines that ease out of her mouth like diamonds being set into a tapestry on the stage.

OUR LEADING LADY is among the ultimate in the genre of the comedy of manners. For those of you who had the opportunity to see MEASURE FOR PLEASURE at the Public Theater last season, you know just how divinely a group of actors can work within the confines of a classic spoof to an audience's much delight. Whether or not you had the opportunity to catch PLEASURE last season, OUR LEADING LADY is a ticket that you will soon not regret and will be sure to give you many a laugh served up by one of New York's top playwrights.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/17/07 at 09:48 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 10:35am

Couldn't agree more. I'd also add my own praise for Kristine Nielsen, who matches Mulgrew in every sense as the Southern sympathizing diva.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 11:41am

whilst?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 11:50am

I went in PREVIEWS. It is MARVELOUS! But really, what else would you expect from Charles Busch. My only pet peeve is that Busch was not the LEADING LADY. I would love to see him in that role.
Because he really is the best at playing LEADING LADY ROLES.
I adore him.
Updated On: 3/17/07 at 11:50 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 12:22pm

Busch wanted this play to be taken seriously, hence him not doing drag. From what I've heard, he's trying to distance himself and his new works from that earlier part of his career.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#5re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 1:00pm

i demand to see it now. hahah
i shall be seeing it next week, i think.

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#6re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 2:23pm

Sorry, folks. The show is a bore. Kate Mulgrew is channeling Katharine Hepburn, Maxwell looks bored, the set is nice, the young assistant is way miscast [maybe he is making nice nice to Busch], and the rest of the cast floats along.

Not a good evening in the theatre.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#7re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 5:27pm

I have to agree with the original poster. Saw this show last week and thought it was a very, very nice evening in the theatre. Mulgrew is ging one hell of a performance as Leady Lady and Bryne, Nielsen, and Ann Duquesnay are each turnning in lovely, nuanced performances. Great Set design and lavish over the top costumes accent this Charles Busch pies quite well. It's not typical Busch...but it's a damn fine play.

stevenycguy
#8re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 5:34pm

I think it's the kind of show you're either going to love or hate. If you go for the witty one-liners, you'll be laughing hysterically with many in the audience and give it a standing ovation like some did. But if you don't "get" that kind of humor, you'll be asleep and leave at intermission like others in the audience.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 5:39pm

I really wanted to see this play. Busch is hilarious!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

April Saul
#10re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 9:08pm

Did we see the same show? I agree with another poster here, Leading Lady is just okay, bordering on boring. The folks around me in the audience seemed to feel the same way...to each his own, but nowhere near a rave in my book!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#11re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 10:18pm

I LOVED the show as well. Glad you enjoyed it WBAF!

Kringas
#12re: OUR Lovely LEADING LADY
Posted: 3/17/07 at 10:20pm

the young assistant is way miscast [maybe he is making nice nice to Busch]

Nice.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Videos