pirate queen sinks

theaterbiz
#1pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 10:41pm

this clunker is dull - at least titanic sinks - the producers will lose everything on this bad, lez miz meets waterworld. what a rip off - not one memorable song - plodding, boring crap! Who greenlit this one? Thank god for the idiots that want producer credits in exchange for investments - have a good opening night party waiting for the reviews - oy DOA.

theaterbiz
#2re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 10:43pm

just saw it and saw it in chicago - agreed - what is happening on broadway - this is a really sad cash crab at the carribean pirate craze BUT IT IS TERRIBLE - stay away!!!!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#2re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 10:55pm

Huh? Are you talking to yourself?

stephen3
#4re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 10:59pm

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD why did you start another thread about this?
Put your opinions where they belong.
And why don't you try offering constructive critism instead of your wholesale "it sucks and that is that" messiah-like offering?
I am guessing from reading your "review" that you haven't seen a lot of theatre and are on the "Visceral -Only- Plan".
Fair enough, but try to offer interesting and constructive commentary, please, because threads like this aren't worth the energy of clicking on it.

Updated On: 3/23/07 at 10:59 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:01pm

... even people who have seen a lot of theater think it sucks, so in terms of proving that he's "wrong" because he think it's bad, the "you clearly don't know what you're talking about!' card doesn't really help you.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:02pm

I would call this "reverse shilling."

And not even good reverse shilling!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Lizzya9
#7re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:05pm

I haven't seen this show or plan to but I'm guessing it's pretty bad. We actually learned about Grace O'Malley in my World History class and she was not a good person at all. I don't know how she's portrayed in the show, but in real life, she had a son while she was a pirate, and one day he was cleaning the ship and slipped, and was hanging off the side, begging for his mother to help him, and instead of saving him she chopped off his hands and let him fall to his death. She claimed that he didn't deserve to live because he wasn't tough enough and shouldn't have slipped. This is historically accurate information, I assure you. Can someone tell me how she's portrayed in the show??? Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:05 PM

stephen3
#9re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:13pm

DON'T GENERALIZE!
I have seen it and was very fond of it, and I know A LOT of people who felt the same way. It IS fair to say that SOME people who have seen it think it "Sucks" and many don't.
Why is it so necessary to continue to Polarize this issue?
The show has many problems I agree, but it is not without it's merits, to be sure.
Let the show have a life and let people go and decide for themselves, without offering inarticulate, crass, and bitchy commentary without any mention of the fact that the cast is first rate, the design is impressive, and that there are many genuine and beautiful things happening in this show. Comments like this aren't fair to the potential life of this show.

luvtheEmcee
#10re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:16pm

What? I'm not generalizing, I'm just saying that if you like it, the theory that everyone who doesn't just doesn't know what theyr'e talking about is completely ridiculous. Plenty of people who know theater think it is a terrible show. How is that a generalization? I didn't say they all do. Of course it's fair to say that some people think it's bad and some don't. How much more obvious can you get?

stephen3
#11re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:16pm

luvthe emcee, did you not do well on the reading comprehension portion of your SAT?
My thread neither stated or intimated "Wrong" or "You don't know what you're talking about".

luvtheEmcee
#12re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:17pm

Actually, I did better than 95% of other students who took it my year, but thank you for your attempted insult. That's how I interpreted what you said; it didnt' say it, however it did "intimate" it.

Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:17 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:19pm

"I haven't seen this show or plan to but I'm guessing it's pretty bad"

STOP guessing or I'll cut yer hands off, so you can't make up opinions on shows you have not seen.
And plenty of people who work in the Theatre and see a lot of shows think this show has a lot of merit.
Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:19 PM

C is for Company
#14re: pirate queen sinks

Emcee, my heart goes out to you in cases like this.

Sadly this thread may be the last we see of S is for Sorry

luvtheEmcee
#15re: pirate queen sinks

lol. My Ivy League education weeps!

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#17re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:23pm

I think you should let people come up with their own opinions on the show.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#18re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:24pm

double post sorry.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.
Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:24 PM

C is for Company
#19re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:26pm

You can say that again re: pirate queen sinks

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#20re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:29pm

I still don't understand why theaterbiz is talking to himself.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#21re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:32pm

The crazy is contagious.
Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:32 PM

CurtainPullDowner
#22re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:34pm

Cause no one else will listen to him or her.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#23re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:36pm

So lonely.

Okay, I think some of the crazy has spread to me...I need to go lie down.

mominthecty
#24re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/23/07 at 11:43pm

I saw this show on Tuesday, even after reading many negatives opinions on this board, and came out pleasantly surprised.
Although the show has moments that I wish were changed or removed, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Updated On: 3/23/07 at 11:43 PM

stephen3
#25re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:00am

mominthecty, Thanks for giving the show a chance after reading about all the dislike for the show that appears here.
My point in the previous post(s) is that many people will read some of the abject negativity that appears here and won't bother to see the show for themselves to decide how they feel about it. Posting a commentary like "it sucks so stay away" without making an argument for WHY, sad as it is, will strike many as authority and will sign this shows (or any shows') death warrant all the faster.
The show deserves a life and deserves to be seen and heard, as it has many beautiful and worthy elements, in my opinion.
I am really pulling for this one and I know others are, too.

Lizzya9
#26re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:05am

can someone tell me if the show is historically accurate or not? thanks = )

I wasn't trying to say "it's a bad show", I just don't think I want to see a musical about a cruel person that I can't relate to. I haven't seen it so I can't say whether it's good or not, I was just saying that "I'm guessing it's pretty bad", like in MY eyes, because I don't like how she was in history. I'm not trying to sway opinions here or anything, just stating a historical fact.

CurtainPullDowner
#27re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:10am

Your EYES have not seen it, it's your mind making those opinions.

The History is shaped to fit a Musical, as many shows have done.
She does not chop off her sons hands and push him and his bloody stumps off a boat.

Videos