pixeltracker

Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance

Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#1Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:35am

Finally saw it (been waiting a longggg time). Sat in third row center orch - perfect seats, stage isn't high. Wife and I have different opinions. I liked it, she didn't - she thought it was just "OK". I'm a big Steph fan, though, so may be prejudiced. Both agreed second act was better, it moved along better. AS for the play itself, costumes, scenery, all great. Sometimes the music drowned out Steph's singing, even though she has a strong voice and sounded great. I didn't have problems understanding the queen, wife did.

Both agreed Steph gave at least a Tony nomination performance - she did get an immediate well-deserved standing ovation.
Updated On: 4/12/07 at 08:35 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:38am

Glad Steph's back and singing well.
It's an amazing performance.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:03am

I was soooooooooo glad Steph was in and sounding (and looking) great!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:18am

Stephanie was remarkable last night and actually sounded better than I have ever heard her sound in the past. I'm so glad you liked it, Ken!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:18am

Stephanie was remarkable last night and actually sounded better than I have ever heard her sound in the past. I'm so glad you liked it, Ken!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#5re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 9:37am

I like the way she "skrinces" (sp??) her face sometimes as she sings.....

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:23am

Isn't that Linda Balgord woman also in this show?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#7re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:34am

Good to hear Stephanie is back.
Being sick sucks, just got over a three week flu and I wanted to kill someone.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#8re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:38am

Yes, Linda Balgord was also good (the queen)....

Steph was great though!

p.s.
#9re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:49am

Finally saw it (been waiting not so long as Ken). Sat in third row center orch (on the aisle)- nearly perfect seats, stage isn't high. Wife and I have different opinions. She liked it, I didn't so much - I thought it was just "OK". I'm certainly no expert, just a plain fan. Both agreed second act was better, it moved along better. AS for the play itself, costumes, scenery, all great. The voices were great, though sometimes it was hard to hear the words. [As Ken said, sometimes the music drowned out the sounds.] To me, the most memorable sounds were made by the stamping/stomping feet. I didn't have problems understanding the queen.

Both agreed second act was better, it moved along better.
The first act seemed somewhat tedious, with the action or story advancing (IMHO) very slowly. Elizabeth's motto was "Semper Eadem" and that's somewhat how it seemed: Always the Same.

The voices were great, though sometimes it was hard to hear the words.
Probably, I'm just not so familiar with the words and music as with Les Miz'.

Steph she did get an immediate well-deserved standing ovation.
People started to stand only when she came out, not before. There was no great attachment to any of the other individual performers. I don't at all mean to say that they were not excellant; it's just that none generated excitement.

p.s. The producers would like all to take heed of the motto of the Order of the Garter: "Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense", which is Old French for "Shame upon him who thinks evil of it".

jhershour
#10re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 1:21pm

I saw the 4/11 matinee performance and I was very disappointed. I really expected more from all involved but especially from Boublil and Shonberg and David Shire. Shame on them for bringing something so mediocre to a Broadway stage.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#11re: Pirate Queen 4/11 8PM performance
Posted: 4/12/07 at 1:28pm

Was a bit like Les Mis with flutes and Irish Dancing - I liked it though!

Videos