A Lovely 110 IN THE SHADE

Yankeefan007
#1A Lovely 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:29pm

Well now we know what Roundabout spent its seasonal budget on...a sun/moon creation that makes In My Life's lemon look like a pipsqueak.

110 in the Shade is a shoo-in for the 2007 Best Revival Tony. A beautiful production of a beautiful show starring the (guess which adjective) beautiful Audra McDonald. The 2 1/2 hours zipped by, despite a very tedious first act.

The problem with the show is N. Richard Nash's book, which throws everything out of whack and manages it to tie it all up way too nicely. Thank goodness for the mostly excellent cast.

Audra McDonald is bound to win every award but the Tony for Lizzie Curry. Steve Kazee is too stiff but manages to loosen up by his big scene in the second act, despite his severe lack of chemistry with Audra. John Cullum is good, as always, and Bobby Stieggart steals the show (and emerges as the front runner for the Best Featured Actor Tony).

Lonny Price's production is very smooth but safe, Dan Knetches (forgive the spelling) choreography the same. Paul Gemignani's orchestra is beautifully lush. Santo Loquasto's set is stunning, ditto for Christopher Akerland's lighting.

My one little quibble....for 110 degrees in the shade, they're surprisingly composed and don't look the least bit warm....unlike the people in the mezzanine, where the air conditioner is broken.

Had a very nice conversation at the stage door with the various cast members (including Audra, who does indeed sign autographs following matinees, in case anyone who was wondering).

Updated On: 4/25/07 at 06:29 PM

Dollypop
#2re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:40pm

I've always felt that the book for this musical gets much too talky in the second act. Couldn't the creators musicalized the Curry boys' discussions in the manner they did "This Plum Is Too Ripe" in THE FANTASTICKS?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Yankeefan007
#2re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:47pm

Funny, I thought it was the other way around. Too talky in Act 1, too much music in Act 2.

I did notice a song that sounded a lot like "This Plum is Too Ripe" early on in Act 2....which was written first, this or Fantasticks?

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#3re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:52pm

How many people were at the stage door when you went?

Yankeefan007
#4re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:53pm

about 10...it was raining.

The rain prompted Steve Kazee to say "gee, look what I can do!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:54pm

It was raining?

Now that's good

Poster Emeritus

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#6re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 6:56pm

The sun was amazing in 110 in the shade. I highly agree that it is the best revival frontrunner

Papa_Burgundy_NY Profile Photo
Papa_Burgundy_NY
#7re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 7:21pm

Just to interject, I really liked the amount of dialogue and felt that it was well written and well done by the performers. I loved just listening to Chris Innvar talk, let alone sing! And about Act I, I think it sets up Lizzie's loneliness so well in conjunction with Audra's wonderful acting. She just hits home in the last scene with File and in singing "Old Maid". I had tears in my eyes. Gorgeous show!!

Yankeefan007
#8re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 7:51pm

I forgot to write up the funniest encounter in the theater.

Spoilers included.

During the final scene, before "Wonderful Music," File returns to the stage to claim Lizzie by walking down the left aisle. He also screams his line (I forget what it was....STOP, or something to that effect) from about 6 rows away from the stage, while walking.

So he screams the line and the gentleman behind me jumps sky high. The woman he was with screams, at the top of her lungs, "OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL---?" before realizing that the entire place is looking at her. The actors kept their composure but Lonny Price, sitting right behind the two jumpers, went pale.

bnyc
#9re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:04pm

I went to the matinee as well today and really ended up loving the production. I was sitting up in the mezzanine, and Audra's amazing acting was far reaching. I wished I could have been closer to really see her face because she is truly amazing. As far as the Tony race, I'd say it's a close call. I'm probably going to give the edge to Christine Ebersole (who was drop dead phenomenal in Grey Gardens), but both actresses are so strong it will be a tough race. As Lizzie, Audra truly embodied the character and brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

I had never seen 110 before, but I really enjoyed the story, score and cast. Act II seemed to grab me more than Act I emotionally, but I think that the love story and her evolution as a character made Act II a bigger payoff. Only one real complaint is I couldn't understand Audra in her last number of the first Act. She doesn't really belt persay, and I couldn't make out the words towards the end of the song. Emotionally she was there, but vocally it was hard to understand.

I was delighted to find out that Bobby was in the show. He and I were in class together a few years back, and I knew he was a very special talent with a big future.. I was elated to see him blow this role out of the water in 110.. He was wonderful and I expect his future in the business to explode after this.

I also enjoyed Steve Kazee as Starbuck. I thought he and Audra had really nice chemistry actually.

I was backstage talking to my friend afterwards and got to meet Audra. I have to say I was a little bit starstruck after watching her amazing performance. She was delightful and it was great to be able to meet her as a fellow actor.

Go out and enjoy a really wonderful revival! It will surely be a frontrunner for the Tony, although i really did enjoy Company as well. Haven't seen Chorus Line yet, although i would like to.
Updated On: 4/25/07 at 09:04 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:28pm

Just so I know, the stage door is...where? :) (Going 5/4)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Yankeefan007
#11re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:32pm

53rd Street, right as you exit the theater.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#12re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:34pm

Thanks. Turn right?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#13re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:43pm

You will see it, their will be a barricade and I believe their is an awning. There is also a Roundabout billboard above it.

neddyfrank2
#14re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:43pm

After last years Pajama Game beating Sweeney I don't know if anyone can predict that category.

Yankee- Do you think Ebersole has any need to worry?

Yankeefan007
#15re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:50pm

Oh God no. Ebersole need not worry. This Tony has been on her shelf since the show closed at Playwrights Horizons.

Plus, as unbelievably phenominal as Audra is, I don't think (and of course, take this with as many grains of salt as you want) they'd give her a 5th acting Tony, despite the fact that she's only won as a featured actress.

bnyc
#16re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:55pm

i agree with you there.. 4 Tony's in such a short amount of time is pretty incredible, and I don't really think anyone can touch Ebersole's performance in Grey Gardens.

I feel kind of bad right now. I have friends from out of town who went to see Wicked & Legally Blonde at the matinee.. They were trying to choose between Grey and 110 and I thought they might enjoy 110 as a show better than Grey (as Grey Gardens was a bit slow for me aside from Ebersole's amazing performance especially in the 2nd Act). But they all hated it tonight. My one friend left at intermission. They other 2 stayed, but didn't like it either. They are all actors as well. I think the 2nd Act is much stronger in 110. I wish my friend would have stayed for it. I guess you can't please everyone.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#17re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:57pm

A little side note about 110: Jones and Schmidt were surprisingly prolific writers, cranking out close to 70 songs for the show before the final cut was established. Some of the castoffs found their way into later shows, but even Marrick was taken aback by their speed.

http://docandraider.com

Yankeefan007
#18re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:59pm

110 in the Shade is definitely not a show for anyone - the only real "upbeat" number is "Raunchy." And Act I, quite frankly, is torturously slow in spots.

As a whole though, it's a great production of a little-known show. Updated On: 4/25/07 at 09:59 PM

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#19re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 10:10pm

If Audra did win there would be such backlash towards her, even if she deserved it.

Now, lets pretend that Grey Gardens never played at Playwright's Horizon. 110 opened in November with McDonald giving the same performance she is now with tons of Tony buzz. And Grey Gardens was in previews right now (no out of town try out) opening in 2 weeks, with Ebersole giving the same performance she is now.

Who would win?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#20re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 10:15pm

I'd still say Ebersole. If she is giving the same quality performance she is now, then she wins hands down. She really puts so much emotion into it, and performs her pieces beautifully. Also, there's the fact that Ebersole is creating a role while Audra is reviving one really well. While Audra would have a better shot in that scenario than she does now, Ebersole would still win I think.

Yankeefan007
#21re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/25/07 at 10:16pm

Christine, still. Her performance is considered one for the history books.

Audra's is another great performance in a string of them, but not one that would go down in history as revelatory.
Updated On: 4/25/07 at 10:16 PM

Nick Plasia
#22re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:33am

Audra doesn't have 1/10th the acting chops that Christine has.
It's a preposterous comparison.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#23re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:40am

pshhh whatever
Audra's got three (or soon to be 2) more Tonys!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#24re: Very Brief Thoughts about 110 IN THE SHADE
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:09am

I'm so glad you enjoyed this production.
Audra's "Raunchy," is one for the history books.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Videos