#50re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:44pm

i'd say that as well, munkustrap

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#51re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:46pm

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Though I don't think it deserves anything except maybe score and lighting.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 5/11/07 at 03:46 PM

RentBoy86
#52re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:46pm

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Blonde Profile Photo
Blonde
#53re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:49pm

I saw Grey Gardens without seeing the documentary and really enjoyed it. So at least for me, my enjoyment of it did not hinge on seeing the source material.

Riedel's points seem valid, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

shalom kitty

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#54re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:56pm

I loved GG in spite of falling asleep the three times I tried to watch the documentary. So I'd say it's definitely NOT necessary to enjoy the doc. to love the musical.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#55re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:57pm

"I'd say most people would want to sit through Blonde then they would want to sit through Lovemusik". Thats doesn't mean Blonde is a better show than LoveMusik ... it just that Blonde is theatre for the masses, and LoveMusik has a much more sophisticated, and smaller, audience base.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#56re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 4:09pm

The questionable one I think is Gavin Lee. Sure he was great, but will he be remembered as leading? I wonder if someone like Jonathan Groff, Hadley Fraser, or Brian Darcy James will take his spot.
Considering I had to ask a friend to even remember what Brian D'arcy James was in this season, that only further disproves your point about Gavin Lee. In that case, is Melchior really more of a standout performance than Moritz? Do people really walk out of Pirate Queen and talk about Hadley more than Stephanie? If Gavin Lee doesn't get nominated, it won't be because Bert isn't a well-known leading male role.

The only reason the last male slot is "questionable" is because there were 4 amazing leading male performances and dozens of okay ones. They have to come up with a 5th just to fill out the category, not necessarily because they deserve to win.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#57re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 4:09pm

"I saw Grey Gardens without seeing the documentary and really enjoyed it. So at least for me, my enjoyment of it did not hinge on seeing the source material."

While I think "Grey Gardens" is still very much enjoyable without experience with the source material, you appreciate it leagues more (particuarly the performances of Ebersole and Wilson) once you've seen the documentary.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Blonde Profile Photo
Blonde
#58re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 4:19pm

I would still really like to see the documentary, haven't gotten around to it yet, as you are probably right. I was just responding to a comment earlier on whether or not it was possible to enjoy grey gardens the musical without seeing the doc first, and in my experience it was.

shalom kitty

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#59re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 7:26pm

I saw GG twice before I saw the documentary and once after. I'd say having seen the documentary you notice some specific references and perhaps can appreciate a bit more how they embodied these people... but I think the show's scope and power is entirely on its own merits.

I don't think anyone who adores GG or finds it incredibly moving or heartbreaking feels this way just because they've seen the documentary. My mother wept through the end of Acts I and II and she's never seen the documentary-- and most people I know who have fondness for it, haven't seen it either.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#60re: Riedel on the Tony Nominations
Posted: 5/11/07 at 7:28pm

His predictions are quite accurate, in my opinion. This is a first a actually agree with Riedel.