Sian Phillips

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#1Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:17pm

I only know of her through my two "A Little Night Music" recording......for the record, on the recording I liked her much better as Madame Armfeldt.

Anyways, after reading a review about a cast recording it said, "The Great Sian Phillips......" Should I know who she is? What other plays/musicals/films has she been in?

I saw once on ET that she was really good friends with Audrey Hepburn, but that's all I know about her.

Also, how do you pronounce her first name? Someone told me it sounds like "Shawn" or "Sean". Is this correct?

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#2re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:31pm

Sian is pronounced like dawn, but with an "s"

I saw her in

A little Night Music

Marlene

Some play set in Paris that had to do with an apartment an incest.

She was great in all three.

Her Madame Armfelt was second only to Glynis Johns ( yes,she did eventually play Madame Armfelt)

What great ones do the less will prattle of

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#2re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:33pm

You pronounce her name Sharn.

She's a great british character actress. She was in I Claudius, Tinker,Tailor,Solider,Spy and even popped up in Clash of The Titans.

She played Msrlene Dietrich in the stage musical tribute in London a few years ago, and recieved a Tony nomination in 1999 when the show played on Broadway.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#3re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:40pm

You absolutely MUST go get "I, Claudius", the 13-episode BBC Miniseries from the '70s based on the Robert Graves novel. It tells the story of the early Caesars of Rome (Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius) and is AMAZING. Sian Phillips plays Livia, the wife of Augustus, who very patiently goes about murdering everyone who stands in the way of her son gaining the throne. She is as evil a villain I've ever seen, yet you love her immensely and her eventual death is actually very moving (not really a spoiler). She's the standout in a brilliant cast.

The whole series is phenomenal - Derek Jacoby, Brian Blessed, Patrick Stewart (with a full head of hair), Patricia Quinn (Magenta from "Rocky Horror", out of that garb and looking amazingly hot), John Hurt. Everyone I've shown it to has said they'd watch one or two episodes, and wind up watching five or six in one sitting. Great writing, great acting, absolutely no production values, and it's really unmatched.

Danielm
#4re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:13pm

She is amazing, I Claudius is probably her best TV/Movie appearance, but she's also a lot of fun in Dune.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#5re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:25pm

Sian Phillips is pretty much a legend in the theatre and in televsion in the UK. She is from Wales, a contemporary of the equally legendary Richard Burton, with whom she starred back in the 1970s in a film version of Dylan Thomas' classic play, "Under Milk Wood". Her stage credits on the West End have included a stunning performance as Marlene Dietrich in "Marlene", as well as major roles in musicals such as "Peg", "Gigi", and a knock-out performance as Vera in "Pal Joey". Perhaps her most memorable TV role was as Claudius's evil mother in the 1970s epic "I, Claudius".

Oh - and, at one time, she was married to Peter O'Toole.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***
Updated On: 5/11/07 at 03:25 PM

EmmaT
#6re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:26pm

Loved her as Ursula Mossbank in "Goodbye Mr. Chips." I believe she was married to Peter O'Toole at the time.

WOSQ
#7re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:33pm

She and O'Toole were well known for wearing identical outfits in their youth. Kind of in the category of 'Too Precious" if you ask me.

She stole Good-bye Mr. Chips (1969) from the rest of the cast which included O'Toole and this season was in the Paul Rudnick play at MTC, the title of which I forget.

She is also in Becket.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#8re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 4:57pm

She has written some incredibly fascinating autobiographies
Public Places

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#9re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 5:37pm

Thank You all so much!!!!!!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#10re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 10:37pm

Her Marlene and Livia are tops!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Mattbrain
#11re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 10:39pm

She was amazing as Livia. She also gave an amazing performance as Eleanor of Acquitaine in the 1997 miniseries adaptation of Ivanhoe and as Katerina Ivanovna in the 1970s adaptation of Crime and Punishment starring John Hurt as Rodya.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#12re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/11/07 at 11:34pm

I, Claudius is so worthwhile for so many reasons, including Sian Phillips. I was one of those people who missed the original telecasts and ended up borrowing the VHS tapes from the local library and watching the entire series in four days.

IssaMe
#13re: Sian Phillips
Posted: 5/12/07 at 9:34am

She is an exceptional actress and a wonderful lady. Personally though, I didn't care for her Marlene at all - she didn't portray the Dietrich I knew and worked with...instead, she dealt too much in stereotypes, some of which were untrue. The scene of mopping the floor with a mink coat was particularly annoying. It's one thing to spread legendary rumours, but something quite else to portray them on the stage as literal truth.

Otherwise, she is amazing.