Hairspray on Oprah...

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#100re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:52am

The blog should be getting authorized Oprah youtube uploads- I will let y'all know when they are posted.

It's funny - I was thinking 'Nikki is so articlate and poised' and right then, Queen Latifah said the same thing.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
#101re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:54am

First off, I agree. It annoys me that Oprah didn't see the Broadway show first. Hairspray is by far my favorite Broadway show. I don't want people who aren't familiar with Broadway to associate the musical with the movie and completely forget the the show started as a musical on Broadway.

I loved how much Oprah pumped it up! I want it to be the next Grease! It looks sooo cute! So peppy and happy! No shocker, I'm probably going to walk out of the theater singing and dancing...all 10 times I see it!

John Travolta is going to be hilarious! Once again I think this movie is soooo perfectly casted! I was unsure about Zac Efron, but he's proved me wrong..at least so far! I'm picky about my Links cause I love them and I have a feeling I'm going to be crushing on him too! He's gorgeous!!! But he does look like a Ken (Link) doll!

Once again...I can't wait for the movie to come out! And I can't wait to buy the dolls!!!

jimnysf
#102re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:46am

Miss O didn't see the movie with the rest of the audience. She was given a DVD screener to watch at her palatial home. Guess she is too good to go to a theatre.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

#103re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:40am

I'm no big O fan but to be fair she is pretty busy preparing each daily show, etc--a screener is much easier for her to watch, lieing in bed or whatever than the movie the audience for the show sees--most of them already on vacation

Anyone else have comments on the choreography we saw vs the Broadway's?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#104re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:43am

I just downloaded the "Ladies Choice" song and video from iTunes and I want to see this movie RIGHT NOW! I was excited about it before, that video has pushed me over the edge.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#105re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:49am

As much as I laughed at Sueleen's earlier comments, I thought Travolta was great in the clips they showed. I like his Edna a lot (so far). Different than any other Edna I've seen. Not "drag queenish" camp in any way. I think he's going to get a lot of attention for playing this role... the GOOD kind of attention, not just the bitchy kind.

I hope the movie does really well.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#106re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:55am

I agree with Mrs. Link Larkin, only people who have seen the stage show should be allowed to promote this movie. How could they possibly know what they are talking about if they have never seen the "original". So I guess that leaves The View.

PEACE.

Action2 Profile Photo
Action2
#107re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 10:22am

I so agree Sueleen. It wasn't so much about Oprah not knowing about the musical, but didn't seem to care. IT WAS ALL ABOUT MY FRIEND JOHN TRAVOLTA. As a producer of a Broadway show, she could have at least talked about the stage musical (even if she had never seen it (or heard of it?!?!?). And the original movie. There is a history of this show that came LONG before John Travolta signed on, Queen Latifa was 'given' the part, or the 17 year-old (I wish her all the best) was discovered at the ice cream shop.

When they talked about Dreamgirls and Chicago on her show, I think they at least mentioned the history. Divine, Ricki Lake, Deborah Harry, Harvey, Melissa...not to mention Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman should NOT be forgotten. Movie would have never happened without them.

AND...did they even mention John Waters???

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#108re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 11:03am

Nearly every talk show host watches new movies from the comfort of their own home...they get sent DVD screeners of every thing so they will talk about it. Very rarely do they go to a theater to see a film...at least the first time.

As for Pfeiffer, she is NOTORIOUSLY famous for her stage-fright...the fact that it was live I'm sure didn't help. She's just a very shy person and always has been. She has spoken about being terrified to do talk shows because she is an introvert and isn't used to talking in response to questions like on talk shows. How people can say she came off as a b***h is beyond me...how rude people!

What annoyed me the most was Oprah's total swooning over Travlota...she was even asking the other CAST members if they thought he was great or what. Sheesh...she's really NOT that great of an interviewer...it took her nearly 4 minutes to start the interview because she was fawning over him so much.

Nikki seems to have that same verve and vigor that Marissa had when she started in Hairspray.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#109re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 11:06am

Nikki was great. She can really hold her own on talk shows and that is a very good quality to have.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Jyn326
#110re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 11:20am

Nope, I don't think they mentioned Waters at all. and I think she rushed the mention of the first movie and Broadway show.

I love Michelle Pfeiffer, I can't wait to see her in this. I felt kinda awkward watching her today, she seemed so uncomfortable. I completely understand her being nervous.

Random question, Oprah kept referring to Queen Latifah as simply "Queen". And I noticed someone else on this thread, did, too. Does she go by Queen, for short? I've never heard that and was just curious. I admit to the fact it's a silly question for this board!

Anyway, I actually haven't seen the first movie yet(which I have no excuse for, other than never getting around to it) or the show so I'll be able to see this movie with no expectations. I think it looks like so much fun. The obvious lip syncing in the clips was annoying so it's good to know that that's not all finished.

I TiVo'd Oprah and for some reason it started during Link's song, so I missed Nikki perform. But I loved her flirtation with Zac during his song. I already like her character. I bet the audience will really care about her.

I also cried when she found out she got the part. That would have definately been me! Falling over and screaming in shock. Isn't there a small (or big) part of everyone that fantasizes about someone coming into your place of work and telling you that all your dreams are coming true? I would think it would give hope to other kids (and adults) that anything is possible if you just give it a shot. It's a true-life inspirational story.

I grew up on movie musicals. I live in a small town and didn't have much opportunity when I was younger to see live stage productions. I got my fix on movies like "Grease", "Grease 2", "Cry-Baby", "Bye-Bye Birdie", and "West Side Story". So I'm so excited to see a new movie musical that takes 2 stars from those movies (Travolta and Pfeiffer) and puts them in a remake of a movie by the director of another one of those movies (Waters).

OK enough of my rambling. re: Hairspray on Oprah... I just can't wait to see this!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#111re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 11:49am

I'm sure it's been noted, but Oprah didn't seem to know that Edna is always a drag role. She seemed to think Travolta was breaking ground simply for presenting the role as drag. It may be startling for stayin'alive JT, but it's the device created for the character, and if not JT, another man would've played it.

I thought they were in dangerous territory bragging about the audience feedback/ratings. I remember hearing that the Bette Midler STELLA had a huge positive response in previews... Careful, careful...

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

froggy2
#112re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:28pm

Queen Latifah goes by 'Latifah'.

I found the show underwhelming. I feel like if Oprah (or her interns) had done some more background research she'd have done a much better job with the interviews.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#113re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:53pm

"Oprah didn't seem to know that Edna is always a drag role. She seemed to think Travolta was breaking ground simply for presenting the role as drag"

True!
I forgot to talk about that. It's sad to see someone so uninformed.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#114re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:09pm

regarding where she watches the movies...when she doesn't watch them at home, she watches them in a special screening room at Harpo Studios. She very often asks her staff to join her and it even has a "concession stand" with all the goodies they like. She has shown it several times on the show over the years.

Just give the world Love.

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#115re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:47pm

Ok here some things:

John Travolta, looks like a guy in a fat suit, its not convincing sorry lol, and what was up with his singing voice?? It was so low and not singy, and its not edna, and I don’t like the accent hopefully we can understand him in the movie lol!

I’M DYING to hear Amanda bynes’s voice, and I was sad she wasn’t there

Queen latifah, PERFECT choice!

Michelle Pfeiffer acted like this was her first interview, what the hell? She couldn’t even talk! But she seems to be a good choice for Velma. But since when does velma like Wilbur? That makes no sense to me, so I’m not a big fan of Big Blonde Beautiful reprise

When I first heard that Zac Effron was going to be Link I was mortified! Hairspray is my favorite musical, and Link is the best character ever! But I think that he might be ok… hopefully.

I absolutely LOVE nikki! I think she will be awesome!!! And I loved her reaction to getting the part, that was so sweet!! She was so excited! I liked the fact that Oprah emphasized that 11 months earlier she worked in an ice cream shop, its inspiring, if someone told me that in a year I would be starring in something as explosive as Hairspray, I don’t even know what I would do, so I liked that she talked about it.

From what I seen from the clips… I don’t know. I don’t want to judge yet cuz I haven’t seen it, I’m hoping it’s amazing,

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#116re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:49pm

trust me...it is

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#117re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:50pm

'tis!

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

JasonM12480
#118re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:08pm

It always makes me chuckle to myself all these judgmental people who come in here, thinking they know everything about the movie when they haven't even seen it yet....

...and then, like a messenger from God, Marc Shaiman sets the record straight - the only person to really speak the truth, and who knows what he's talking about. LOL

Thanks, Marc. Can't wait to see the movie and ENJOY it!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#119re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:10pm

i.heart.link., I've yet to see the movie, but in regards to "Big Blonde and Beautiful" I thought it was pretty obvious that Velma wasn't actually in lust with Wilbur. There was obvioulsy some hidden agenda she had. Looking forward to finding out what it is. Wasn't a major fan of the musical, thought that the score was great but felt that the plot was rushed too much. Hopefully this will change in the movie. I'm pretty excited for it.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#120re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:15pm

I really enjoyed it, and frankly the movie, I think, will be fun.
Will it be better than the Broadway (or for that matter the LA Production I saw)...No.

But it'll be fun. It's funny, but my partner really got off on John Travolta in the role, saying.....Edna acted like John Travolta, which he liked......but I had a slight problem with.

What WAS wrong with Michelle, I mean she acted like she was waiting at the dentists office with a bunch of people she did not know.

I'll see it, I'll buy it, but I'll enjoy it for what it is.....not for what the production was as there is no comparison.

What shocked me more than anything was that Oprah NEVER say the show on broadway, or anywhere else? That's just crazy.

A woman as smart and articulate as she is should have known it wasn't about hair

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#121re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:16pm

marc shaiman, you are my hero!!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#122re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:21pm

i know that its probably a hidden agenda, but it still seems weird, personally my problem with it is that i just dont' want them to stray from the musical at all. But thats how it goes. and i agree with Elphaba it'll be a fun movie

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#123re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:24pm

I'm just sayin...it came out great

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#124re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:27pm

I realize she said she never saw Hairspray on Broadway, but I also took it that she didn't want to publicize one show, when she's a producer of "The Color Purple". I noticed how she also didn't say, "currently playing on Broadway", either.