Debra Monk...

dannilupone Profile Photo
dannilupone
#1Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:03pm

Debra Monk... SHOW PEOPLE! anyone? anyone? SHOW PEOPLE!

NathanLaneStalker
#2re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:05pm

...oh my God.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Yankeefan007
#2re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:07pm

She was great in that show.

"The secret to the perfect family....

...is good casting."

So was Judy Greer. Updated On: 6/26/07 at 03:07 PM

Johnnytoc
#3re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:10pm

Maybe I'm the only one, but I found her to be no more than average. Her performance was fine, but nothing special at all. Her singing was lacked the power everyone seems to say she has- maybe it was an off day.

dannilupone Profile Photo
dannilupone
#4re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:23pm

SHOW PEOPLE!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#5re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:24pm

She was the reason i sat through poor Harry Connick's Musical.

And the reason I fell for Pump Boys and Dinettes!

and my drag name is Shelby Stephyns (if you know who that is you get kudos!)

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#6re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:09pm

I love the Monk.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

Night707 Profile Photo
Night707
#7re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:15pm

I thought Debra Monk was great in Curtains. She really encompassed that character. I LOVE HER!

:D

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#8re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:43pm

re: Debra Monk...

#9re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:45pm

Debra Monk has turned up in a lot of the DVDs I watched in the last couple of months. Last night it was Mrs Winterbourne...

Thesbijean
#10re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:03pm

She's great in The Devil's Advocate

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#11re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:04pm

The ol' gal keeps working!

What great ones do the less will prattle of

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#12re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 6:54pm

Yankee-

I have a feeling that this poster is referring to the song "Show People" from CURTAINS and not the play at Second Stage that Ms. Monk starred in last year. Just a hunch... re: Debra Monk...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#13re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 6:59pm

WOW I LIKE YOUR DRESS IN THAT PICTCHA AC126748

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Yankeefan007
#14re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/26/07 at 8:09pm

AC - oh, I know....but who am I when I'm not difficult?

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
My Sobriquet
#15re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:36pm

I agree with Johnnytoc. I was underwhelmed by her performance. It was fine, but nothing special.

Also, I was underwhelmed by Curtains, in general, and DHP, in particular.

The plot is thin, and it seemed that every time that they wanted to do a big Broadway number, they reverted back to doing another rehearsal of the play within a play.

MungoGypsy8232
#16re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:46pm

I'm a fan and she can do no wrong by me. I think she is the show's highlight.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#17re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:56pm

Add me to the list Johnnytoc. Did not like Monk. I thought she was very so so.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:58pm

^ You've already made it clear in another thread that you hated everything about the show.

I think she's amazing. And she sounds absolutely killer on the Cast Recording. She stole the show for me.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#19re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:04am

Monk truly gave a magnificent performance in CURTAINS and that was last year in LA when she was just starting to sink her teeth into the role, I can only imagine how great she is on Broadway. I'm quite glad that she got a Tony nod for this role.
Haters not welcome.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
My Sobriquet
#20re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:24am

"Haters not welcome."

Where's the "hate"?
Updated On: 6/28/07 at 12:24 AM

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#21re: Debra Monk...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:01am

Loved her to pieces, but Ziemba was the best thing in that show for me.

Still, I adored Monk and she was hilarious!

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley