beast transformation...

Zeitoujo
#1beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:32pm

how do they do it?
is there a video or a link?
could someone please explain?

is the beast in the last scene a stunt double? when the light go out for 2 seconds at the end of the transformation does the real beast go up in the young prince costume?

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

broadwayguy99
#2re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:35pm

All I can say is : "Disney Magic"! :)

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#2re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:35pm

There is a clause in the contracts of cast members that says they cannot disclose any details of how this takes place. Seems a little much to me, but it's true.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:38pm

I just have to say, I read this as "best" transformation.

Zeitoujo
#4re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:39pm

someone has got to know on this board...

husk_charmer
#5re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:41pm

Becoz I knew you-
I thought the same thing, and my thought was "Into the Woods"-Bernadette Peters.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ThankstoPhantom
#6re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:43pm

That is true...I spoke with a former cast member once who said they can't even say how it was done until several months after it closes.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Zeitoujo
#7re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:44pm

wow.

broadwayguy99
#8re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:45pm

I know how it is done - I was in the show, but like someone said above, there is a clause in the contract that says we cannot say how it is done. Let me just say, enjoy the magic of not knowing how it is done. It makes it more special not knowing.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#9re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 10:55pm

FWIW: that clause applies whether you use the Disney version of the transformation or your own.

http://docandraider.com

Zeitoujo
#10re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:01pm

I FOUND IT =D
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=390605#1258034

"This is the final word. The actor playing the Beast goes off just before the castle is stormed to have his makeup removed. While that scene is happening the actor playing the beast is having his makeup removed. The Beast during the fight is a double in a mask. The double also says the , "It doesn't matter now, let them come line." But it's recorded. The actor playing the beast puts on a mask with an open bask and very simple light gloves with a sort of cape wraped around the Prince outfit. He takes his position on the castle platfrom while it's back is facing the audience during the Gaston fight. When the beast stumbles in after the fight and the sets turns around thats where they switch back to the original actors. Then he's raised up on the lift and while in the dark has to quickly remove the mask and gloves and cape and whip them as hard as possible over the back of the castle wall.
So the same actor that played the beast also plays the prince. It is not double cast."

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#11re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:18pm

That's interesting...I wonder how often they DON'T get their costume off in time.

Zeitoujo
#12re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:19pm

haha true.

Zeitoujo
#13re: beast transformation...
Posted: 6/29/07 at 9:05am

am i right?

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#14re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 5:48pm

When I first saw the show at 18 or 19, I was amazed and couldn't figure out how they did it all. When I saw it again at 24, I think I pretty much figured it all out. Still enjoyed it a lot, but the magic seemed more like "Disney Creativity" to me.
Broadway Blog: From the Mouth of Alan Jay Lerner

Lizzya9
#15re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 5:55pm

Disney Magic, for sure! I just appreciate it and try not to think about it too much, it's nice to leave things unknown.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#16re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 6:24pm

I saw the current UK tour (not a Disney Productions one) and when the beast was transforming I clearly saw him taking the mask off by strobe light. I hope the Broadway version is more spectacular

Dover
#17re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 7:04pm

Well the reason no one is saying (or most of us) is that if you've done the show you're not supposed to say. What I will say is that in addition to the way it's done on Broadway there are several different ways to do it depending on your needs and limitations for the set, costume and makeup.

Flaunt It
#18re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 7:13pm

The actor does not put a new mask on and fling it over their head while spinning on the lift... the actor is wrapped in the cape and the head you see in Belle's lap is a puppet head that is dropped and folds into the cape during the transoformation.

singingperformer
#19re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 7:20pm

Sorry, not to be rude but when I saw the show I thought the effect was barely entertaining and very obvious. Am I the only one who thinks this? Maybe it seemed too simple because I was sitting very far back in the theatre but to me, it just looked like he threw his costume off and had a second costume under it.... Updated On: 7/1/07 at 07:20 PM

broadwayguy2
#20re: beast transformation...
Posted: 7/1/07 at 8:54pm

Two hints.... in the program with pics of the OBC, the picture of the gaston/beast fight is clearly captioned that terrence mann is NOT the Beast in the fight. If you sit above stage height, you can see a slot open in the floor of the west wing that a mechanical arm extends through...

Videos