Is Parade a rock musical?

Mattbrain
#1Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 5:43pm

In their article about rock musicals, Wikipedia mentions Parade as a rock musical. Is there any validity to this statement? Is there some kind of musical technique that qualifies the music as rock?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#2re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 5:48pm

Parade is not a rock musical.

To me rock musicals are

TOMMY, RENT, Jesus Christ Superstar

PARADE is more along the lines of Ragtime==

speaking of which.. andyone else curious what Jason Robert Brown would have done if he had done the music to Ragtime?

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Johnnytoc
#2re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 5:50pm

No, it's not.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 5:56pm

Not even close.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:03pm

Yes. Like Falsettos, it's practically the closest thing Broadway has to a Slayer concert.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#5re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:20pm

Calling Parade a rock musical is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life.

If you like Ragtime, you'll like Parade. I always tend to classify them together. They're both great shows. Definitely check out the music to it.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#6re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:24pm

>> Calling Parade a rock musical is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life.

Consider the source. Wikipedia is a great thing in theory, but in application it can screw up mightily because of the folks who write the entries.

http://docandraider.com

Mattbrain
#7re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:35pm

Thank you, everyone!!!!!! I knew Wikipedia had screwed things up again. istillbelieve, Ragtime and Parade possess, in my book, two of the most amazing (or as Seth Rudetsky would say, amahzing) scores ever written for a Broadway musical.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

broadwaybaby86
#8re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:38pm

yeah, i pretty much have 2 agree. Rock musicals have like, rock-ish tunes. Rent, Godspell, Mama Mia I'd have to say as well, those are all rock some of them might be leading along the lines of pop-musicals if you know what i mean, but yeah.

yellibean2
#9re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 11:59pm

anyone else curious what Jason Robert Brown would have done if he had done the music to Ragtime?

that, and wasn't Sondheim offered to do the music for Parade?

Updated On: 7/2/07 at 11:59 PM

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#10re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:23am

Well Hal Prince did direct it. I think Hal Prince came up with the idea too.

yr ronin,
joey

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#11re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:28am

Hal Prince and Sondheim talked about doing it for years. Sondheim ultimately passed, and because Hal knew JRB through Daisy, he tabbed him for the job.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#12re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:33am

Well, ALW calls PHANTOM a rock-opera.

deadparrot
#13re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:38am

I don't think I can think of even one song in PARADE that is remotely close to a rock song.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#14re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:45am

Well, I don't know.

Rock-opera, rock musical, and operetta can be jumbled up terms sometimes.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#15re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 6:41am

Okay, guys, so who's going to Wikipedia to correct the entry? You can do that, you know.

http://docandraider.com

Mattbrain
#16re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 7:03am

Done and done.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 7:58am

Just a side note - JRB has said that he considers himself to be a rock composer, Parade excepted of course. (I would consider him pop at most, but whatever)
Perhaps the author of the erroneous entry got confused. We all know that Parade does not use any rock idioms whatsoever, however it does have some blues influences in the numbers sung by the African Americans.

And please count me in with the admirers of this amazing score.

....but the world goes 'round

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#18re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:06pm

I loved this show, and it was a great honor to get to meet JRB when he was conducting it on tour.

The confusion over category comes from people calling shows like JANE EYRE or LES MIZ a pop opera despite that fact that they have little connection to pop music of the day.

As for Wikipedia . . . I had a student doing research on it before I knew what it was, and he learned Teddy Roosevelt lost a bid for the third term to Upton Sinclair and led America in WWI against Canada.
Broadway Blog: The Road You Didn’t Take to Broadway (the Hollywood detour debate)

Mattbrain
#19re: Is Parade a rock musical?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 4:48pm

^Oh my.

Videos