Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?

singingperformer
#1Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:27pm

I am curious. Do you think this is a possibility - for it to air on PBS or come out on DVD? It's obviously too soon to say for sure, but I hope it will.

Your thoughts?

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#2re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:29pm

Oh. How I love repeated threads!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:30pm

This was posted on the Grey Gardens yahoo group this morning:

"Greetings good friends of "Grey Gardens," the musical. ...Despite the efforts and the desires of all to keep it running longer,the producing partners could not agree on the viability of replacing cast members who are leaving and finding the resources to extend the life of the show in the New York tourist season.

Our hope is to find new productions of the show here and abroad, and we are working towards securing a deal to film the Broadway production for broadcast and DVD....

Creating the show and seeing it embraced by theater-goers through three extensions at Playwrights Horizons and a respectable Broadway run has been a joyful experience.

And I am coming to believe that this is the right way to exit after all, with our original cast in the roles they created, with respect to Little Edie and her mother, Edith, to the Maysles, and to the numerous fans of the musical and its brilliant leading ladies.

And send no expressions of sympathy. I am a happy and lucky lyricist.

All best,
Michael
MK
Michael Korie"

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kringas
#3re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:45pm

Rest assured, BrodyFosse123 and Stacey are diligently filling orders as fast as they can. If you haven't ordered yet what are you waiting for?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 10:50pm

Kringas - thanks for the enslaught of PMs I've received thanks to your plug. Due to the overwhelming demand for DVDs of this so-called show, Stacey has had to recruit a staff of 11 just to meet a decent production deadline.

You're a keeper, Kringas. I owe you BIG TIME!

PS: Stacey says "hi" and "f*ck you!". re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#5re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 11:37pm

Doesn't it need to get filmed professionally first before it can be aired?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 11:38pm

PS: Stacey says "hi" and "f*ck you!".

- Wow! She's professional.

Kringas
#7re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 11:44pm

Eh, cut her some slack. She has a very stressful job.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/2/07 at 11:45pm

Serving BrodyFosse all day. I would imagine that is very stressful.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:05am

Well, Ljay I just spoke to Stacey and from what I hear you're oreder has just been canceled. She ain't working overtime for ungrateful users.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Julian2
#10re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:15am

"Dear Stacy, I am writing to you because I find you a fascinating enigma of the Broadway community. I would also like to apologize for ljay's rather rude comments (he's really a great guy I promise). But, I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you perhaps send me a photograph of yourself? I would gladly return the favor, but it would appear that Fenchurch ate all my portraits when he spied a Sondheim OBCR in the corner of one. Thank you for all your hard work,
Julian2.

P.S. Make sure that my DVD comes with a tour of Bob Stillman's dressing room, because if it dosen't, I will personally hunt you down."

"Dear Julian2, thank you for your kind correspondence. Enclosed I have included a picture of myself.
Stacy.

P.S. Threaten me one more time and I'll sick the hounds on you."

re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:22am

Mmmm, she didn't mention Ljay. If someone can hold a grudge it's Stacey.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Kringas
#12re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:23am

I'm done defending her. That outfit is totally inappropriate for work.

Julian2
#13re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:23am

I think its her uniform.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Kringas
#14re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:24am

The poor dear.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:25am

Isn't that what Brody makes her wear?
Me? I'm trying to stay on Stacey's good side until that perfect DVD arrives.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 2:15am

LMAO. Maybe Brody dresses like that too?

Kringas
#17re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 9:09am

Brody and Stacey wish to thank you all for your kind words. As a special treat, if you order your Grey Gardens dvd before 7pm today (EST), you'll have your choice of one of two different bonus discs! You can receive Brody Tells All, five full hours of Brody's anecdotes from a life near the theatre. That's an hour for each decade!

The second disc to choose from is Brody and Stacey: Against the Odds, a humorous, yet cautionary tale about a megalomaniac and the woman who signed an iron-clad contract.

Updated On: 7/3/07 at 09:09 AM

soapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
#18re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 9:26am

There's obviously some inside joke I'm missing, but this is still funny as hell.

I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.

Kringas
#19re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 10:46am

I've received word from Stacey that joking is never appropriate when she is on the job. She also said something about all the hope being sucked out of life, but I heard some man screeching in the background and then she hung up. re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#20re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:57pm

well after e-mailing great performances at PBS about filming grey gardens this was the response:

"We thank you for your e-mail regarding our programming.

Since "Grey Gardens" is about to close, it is too late for Great
Performances to consider taping this production for future viewing.
Furthermore, it is questionable if funds and staff would be available.
In any event, even if they were still able to do so, there are so many
other productions that are ready to be aired, that it would be quite a
long time before "Grey Gardens" would be shown.

However, we appreciate the suggestion, since suggestions and comments
are helpful to our staff and we thank you for having taken time to email
us.

Your interest and support are valued. We hope you will continue to
enjoy the many diverse programs on PBS."

Obviously if this is going to happen it will not be through PBS.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#21re: Will Grey Gardens air on PBS?
Posted: 7/3/07 at 2:05pm

hmmm interesting, considering COMPANY filmed the day before closing, and nothing was officially announced about it until like a week before

anyways, i really dont see this happening, now that PBS is confirmably not doing it.

(btw, is confirmably a word? haha)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

Videos