pixeltracker

NY Hairspray Screening Disaster- Page 7

NY Hairspray Screening Disaster

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#150re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:22pm

There is also a way to rig the film print on more than one projector simultaneously. Crowd control isn’t something new for them; it’s bizarre they didn’t have the megaphone out.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#151re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:23pm

In NYC there were people with the black passes that didnt even get in to the theatre. It was very clearly mismanaged. If the advance screening was bought out by the salon people, that would have been fine had they then had the presence of mind to tell New Line not to paper the event. Someone should have been able to figure out that they had too many people with the black and yellow passes for anyone else to get in.

The only way I could see them not knowing this information is if the theatre was changed to a smaller auditorium or if those yellow and black passes were duplicated, but given their glossy thicker cardstock, that wouldnt have been an easy accomplishment for most people (and knowing it happened in a few cities, I think someone was just inexperienced with event planning). Its a simple matter of ratios... you have x number of seats, you invite y number of people and paper z number of people to cover for at most a 5% wiggle room of people not showing up and any unused seats.

For me the worst part was that we were specifically told there were two screenings so even the staff at the AMC seemed to be misinformed as to what was going on that day, or maybe they were just trying to keep the crowd calm as they ushered in other people. When they sent one guy out there to tell everyone to disban (and two mins later someone else saying stay on the line), I could just sense a riot breaking out. Im sure they called the cops as a precaution to prevent such a thing from happening, but many people were ushered away without hearing any explanation, especially if they were at the end of the line. A number of people started asking other patrons what was going on which just led to a rise of rumors and misinformation. With conflicting knowledge from staff as late as 6:40pm, I understand the frustration. I was there for four hours, and fairly close to the door, I was sure I was going to get in.

When the blonde girl came out taking everyones email address, I wasnt exactly sure what that was supposed to solve, I guess she was going to put them on a list for future screenings but I dont know how that would have instilled confidence that it wouldnt happen again. I felt bad for her too, I didnt think it was her fault, she was probably a nobody and people were surrounding her yelling at her.

Its just unfortunate that so many people had to have such a lousy experience just trying to get into a movie.

finebydesign
#152re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:27pm

That girl really took some sh!t. I wonder if she came into work today?

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#153re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 2:28pm

I still think that some people are WAY over-reacting. It is a movie people.

It is not like we were all told there where weapons of mass distruction there....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Fosse76
#154re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 3:03pm

"I still think that some people are WAY over-reacting. It is a movie people."

Well, next time I see you just standing around, I'll just call the police and have them deal with you. See how you like it.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#155re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 3:55pm

So was the site we got those passes owned my New Line? Because we gave out our personal information on it!

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#156re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:09pm

Yes it was

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

finebydesign
#157re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:11pm

Contact: Gordon Paddison: Gordon@paddison.com about the data-mining.

Whois Record
Registrant:
New Line Cinema
Gordon Paddison
116 N. Robertson .
Los Angeles, CA 90048
US
Email: Gordon@paddison.com

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: hairspraymovie.com

Created on..............: Fri, Mar 05, 2004
Expires on..............: Tue, Mar 05, 2013
Record last updated on..: Tue, Jan 17, 2006

Administrative Contact:
New Line Cinema
Gordon Paddison
116 N. Robertson .
Los Angeles, CA 90048
US
Phone: 001-310-9676615
Email: Gordon@paddison.com

Technical Contact:
New Line Cinema
Domain Administrator AOL
22000 AOL Way .
Dulles, VA 20166
US
Phone: 001-703-2654670
Email: domains@aol.net

DNS Servers:

twdns-03.ns.aol.com
twdns-01.ns.aol.com
twdns-04.ns.aol.com
twdns-02.ns.aol.com

#158re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:50pm

I personally don't mind waiting a few more days to see the film. The $10 isn't going to kill me. What bothers me is the false advertising. It appears everyone who was turned away was treated rudely.

Exactly. False advertising needs to be addressed. Those people telling others to simply get over it, you must be real pushovers in your day to day life.

Updated On: 7/17/07 at 04:50 PM

11/11/05
#159re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 5:03pm

False Advertising? False Pretenses? Exactly. New Line Cinema gathered personal information from each person who requested a Screening Pass. Each Screening Pass had the name of that person printed on it as well as a Screening Pass Number#. This was a well organized attempt to gather information on potential moviegoers for future New Line Cinema films. The "free screening" was just a way to do it. They now have our street (mailing) addresses, e-mail addresses and favorite film genres stored in their database for future New Line cinema mailings/adverisements, etc. Good job New Line.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#160re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 5:03pm

Fosse-- Loitering in a crime in some cities. And when we used to work for the airlines, we would call the police if we had to give a large amount of people bad news. Not because we wanted to be tough guys but because there is always the one who cannot "be calm for once instead of flying off the handle." (Thanks Wicked)

I am just saying that the people who are making it sound like they were robbed and plundered. I bet the people in Darfur couldn't care less if you got into see Hairspray or if you get a free ticket.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

#161re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 5:13pm

11/11/05, you raised some very good points.

If others let themselves be lied to and mistreated then by all means, enjoy your miserable lives as pushovers. However, others who were taught to stand up for themselves and not be lied to, will continue to make noise until this matter is addressed.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#162re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 5:18pm

Kuhn Krazy,
I am all for "making (sic) noise until this matter is addressed" but don't you think we should be a little more vocal about more important things then free passes to a movie.

I can think of a few dozen... Bush, Darfur, AIDS, Gay Rights, Basic Human Rights, Social Security, Global Warming... I mean this we should be SCREAMING ABOUT....

maybe everyone was thinking to much of themselves to realize that the movie is about injustice.. REAL injustice.. (of course, set to a snazzy and finger poppin' score!)

#163re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 5:29pm

I hear what you're saying, JRybka. For what it's worth, I am actively involved in two of the causes you listed. It doesn't mean people can't get involved in smaller issues too. Besides, is it really any of your business to tell people what to fight for/how to live their lives? Couldn't the scenario be reversed on you? I could easily tell you that all the time you've wasted chastising people for their feelings could have been used toward one of the causes you listed. But I won't...because I don't tell people what to do/how to feel. I leave that to the current administration.

I don't like being lied to, whether it's by my family members, the current administration, my students, or in this case, the studio. I'm not going to roll over and say "Well, that's life." Some people want to live their lives like that, so be it. I wasn't raised to accept lies/mistreatment from anyone. I saw too many people shuffle away last night angry at being lied to but too timid to take a stand. I can't be one of those people. This poor policy will continue unless noise is made.
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 05:29 PM

Wildcard
#164re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 6:03pm

Reading this thread is like watching the movie! re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster

The main theme of the movie is summed up right here:
"If others let themselves be lied to and mistreated then by all means, enjoy your miserable lives as pushovers. However, others who were taught to stand up for themselves and not be lied to, will continue to make noise until this matter is addressed."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#165re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 6:14pm

I hear what you're saying, JRybka. For what it's worth, I am actively involved in two of the causes you listed. It doesn't mean people can't get involved in smaller issues too.

Exactly. I'm not going to tell myself, "Well, I won't complain to my doctor that they left a scalpel in my chest -- I mean, I could be trying to get a C-Section in Darfur..."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

fxy2003cmu Profile Photo
fxy2003cmu
#166re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/17/07 at 6:36pm

I don't know who ended up with my letter but someone from New Line just emailed me and offered me tickets to a screening tomorrow night in Novi, and they're sending me a Hairspray gift pack (not sure what that entails). So it looks like they're at least doing something to make up for it.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#167re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:36am

KuhnKrazy~ I am not saying that we should not vocalize our disapointment for the fiasco that was Hairspray: The Preview but I am just saying that some people are treating it like it was the fall of western civilization that is all.

I guess I just find it humourous that people are screaming injustice and crimes against humanity about the whole deal.

I am all for emailing New Line Cinema. I do it all the time with television when they mess with my shows (i.e. BBC America and what they are doing to Hollyoaks) but to start a revolution (so to speak) sounds like a little extreme.

And actually, I do raise thousands upon thousand for AIDS charities. And I actually work on Capital Hill fighting for my basic rights (like being gay and not having many)

I guess I am just suprised how extreme some of the people are acting that was my point. Of course, words on a blog and seeing me actually voice my opinion can come off two completely different ways.

jimnysf
#168re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:46am

I guess I am just suprised how extreme some of the people are acting

Well, if you spent hours standing in a line (in the front) and were told that admission was first come/first served when it clearly wasn't, you'd be pissed to.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#169re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:13am

Jimnysf~ Actually I did stand in line for hours in at the Washington DC one. So you comment seems to be null and void.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#170re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:37am

"Actually I did stand in line for hours in at the Washington DC one. So you comment seems to be null and void."

Actually his comment is neither null or void because even though you stood online for hours you got to see the movie therefore have nothing to be upset about.

jimnysf
#171re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:41am

Actually his comment is neither null or void because even though you stood online for hours you got to see the movie therefore have nothing to be upset about.

Exactly! Thanks for pointing that out!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#172re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:51am

I wonder if JRybka DIDN'T see the movie after waiting in line for hours, he'd be making the same comments.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#173re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:57am

Actually I would be dissapointed but I would not have caused a major hissy fit. I guess I had the idea in my head that there may actually not be a chance that I won't get to see it. That there could be a big line or it just wasn't in the cards that day. I didn't put all my hopes and dreams on getting into THAT particular showing. Yes, I got into see it but really had I known that some people where THAT upset (declaring war againts not only New Line Cinema, Sebastian Hair Products and the such), I would have gladly given them my free passes (I won mine) and ponied up 10bucks for a ticket after the Friday.

If we did not get to see it, we had all decided that we would go across the street to the Cheesecake Factory.

We all knew that there standing in line that there could be a chance that one MAY not actually get in to see a show.

Updated On: 7/18/07 at 10:57 AM

jimnysf
#174re: NY Hairspray Screening Disaster
Posted: 7/18/07 at 11:07am

We all knew that there standing in line that there could be a chance that one MAY not actually get in to see a show.

Except when you arrive early and are among the first in the line, as was I. You'd expect to get in. You wouldn't expect a second line to start forming 20 minutes before the show and be lied to (they said there were 2 showings, thus the 2 lines).