Broadway on Broadway

henryt
#1Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:06pm

Broadway on Broadway

Hey Y'alls!

So, I heard a rumor that Broadway on Broadway is going to be on Sunday, September 16. Just for all of you don't know, Broadway on Broadway is this huge concert in Times Square where most of the musicals perform a song. I go every year, and can say firsthand the it is really fun! I think last year something like 50,000 people came! So, anyway, I haven't heard anything about a host and thought it would be fun if everyone were to list their dream host. Just for some history, last year, the host was Martin Short, the year before, it was John Lithgow and Christina Applegate, and 2004 was Wayne Brady and Christy Carlson Romano.

I would say that mine would be:
-Stephen Sondheim
-Angela Lansbury (If she brought her glasses to read the teleprompter)
-Harvey Fierstein
-Fantasia
-Andrew Lloyd Webber
-Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick

Lets try to keep this positive! Don't criticize peoples choices, just add your own!
Broadway on Broadway Website

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:18pm

Don't you think the people on here know about Broadway on Broadway?

henryt
#2re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:20pm

I do, but I figure I might as well have posted that for anyone who may not know. Anything can happen!

ActualReality2 Profile Photo
ActualReality2
#3re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:54pm

Is this a free event?

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself. -Anthony Rapp-

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#4re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:16pm

Don't they usually try and have someone from an upcoming show/someone coming into a show host this? So wouldn't that leave Fantasia out? And Harvey would probably be in San Diego with Catered Affair, I'm guessing.

So I'm going to guess that they'll have whoever is playing The Little Mermaid host.

Is this a free event?

Yep- earlier you get there, closer to the stage you are...like Broadway in Bryant Park, but with hellacious more people. :)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#5re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:20pm

i hope it will be on the 16th while i am in NYC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:24pm

Frankly, I was a little underwhelmed last year. Depending on which new shows will be there, I may or may not go again. Last year, it seemed like most of the longer running shows did the same songs most of us have seen over and over at events like this.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

#7re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:32pm

But wasn't the opening great with Paul Gemignani and the orchestra doing the overture from Gypsy?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:36pm

"But wasn't the opening great with Paul Gemignani and the orchestra doing the overture from Gypsy?"

Absolutely, and Martin Short had some funny moments. The show definitely had some highlights, but for me, I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough for the amount of time spent waiting around (fortunately, though, it was a nice day). Seeing Donny Osmond accidentally knock over a toddler helped...

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

henryt
#9re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:46pm

Yes, ActualReality2. But you have to arrive early to get a good spot. But also, it's okay if your towards the back because its played on most of the screens in Times Square. I know that it is on the ABC screen and I think it may be on the Wrigley's screen. There are more, I just dont know which!
Updated On: 7/26/07 at 01:46 PM

alex2155 Profile Photo
alex2155
#10re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:51pm

What time is it usually at and how early would you suggest getting there?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#11re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:57pm

I think I got there about two hours early, and I was a little over a block away from the stage. They do use the several of the screens around Times Square.

Before last year, one of the local stations showed highlights a few days after the show. There was no such program last year. Anyone know if there are plans to broadcast the highlights again this year?

henryt
#12re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:58pm

It starts at 11:30 and runs for about 2 hours. The timing depends on how far away you want to be. If you want to be in the front, I would recomend getting there the night before, but if you're content with being a block or so away, you can cut it much closer. I wish I could give you a more definative answer, but it's like Shakespeare in the Park, it's different every time.

henryt
#13re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:00pm

Madbrain, as of now, it is not being televised, but anything can happen!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#14re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:08pm

henryt ~ you may be exaggerating a bit. Last year I got there about 6:30am and was VERY close to the stage. I don't think camping out overnight is necessary.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

henryt
#15re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:13pm

I'm sorry if I made that mistake. I have never tried to get that close to the stage, so I am just going off what I have heard, which is that some people camp out overnight. Thanks for the correction!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:24pm

How do get seats in the bleachers? Is that reserved for friends/family?

henryt
#17re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:36pm

As of now they are for sponsors and VIPs only. Sorry!

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#18re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:56pm

Does anyone think it will be shown on television? It used to be on.

henryt
#19re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 2:59pm

As I said earlier, as of now, it will not be. But, anything is possible!

henryt
#20re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:45pm

What shows do you guys think will be performing?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#21re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:17pm

Why don't you just tell us?

henryt
#22re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:29pm

Because I don't know!

nyc44
#23re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:32pm

I've only gone the last two years and get there around 7:15am. I've gotten really close, really great spots both times. I think as long as you make sure you're in the front section you can push yourself anywhere you want to be really.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: Broadway on Broadway
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:18pm

"Broadway on Broadway" — the annual, free outdoor concert in Times Square — is scheduled for Sept. 16.

Presented by The League of American Theatres and Producers and the Times Square Alliance, the annual event will begin at 11:30 AM.

The first 100 fans who arrive dressed as their favorite Broadway character will be able to enjoy the concert from a special VIP area located near the stage.
Free "Broadway on Broadway" Concert Scheduled for Sept. 16

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)