pixeltracker

Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?- Page 2

Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#25re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:12am

I'm 18 and just recently saw four more shows in NYC, which I LOVED them all! I saw Les Miserables, A Chorus Line, Legally Blonde and Curtains.

My first show I saw on Broadway was 42nd Street and then the next day I saw Beauty and the Beast. I was about 14 then and I was in awe over them both.

If your dream is to be on Broadway when you are older, than I would def recommand either The Drowsy Chaperone or A Chorus Line to be your first show.

Drowsy is such a fun show. Anyone who has ever used musical theatre, or really anything, to chase away the blues, you can relate to Man in Chair. It's such a magical show. You'll be walking away from the theatre inspired and probably teary eyed.

A Chorus Line I think is the perfect first show for anyone who has ever dreamed of dancing on Broadway. It's a wake up call in the end about actually landing a show, but the journey you take in that theatre is incredable. I think everyone's story is in one of the characters who stands on the line. This is another show you will be walking away teary eyed, but so worth it. And the last number will def give you that awe-factor.

Les Miserables is also another show I HIGHLY recommend. This show is a classic. It's such a moving and powerful show. Without a question you will walk away with that awe- factor.

Curtains is another fun show. The dancing is amazing with an all-star cast. The scenary is beautiful. It's a very fun show. And who doesn't love those cheesy who-dun-it movies? That's what this is but with singing and dancing. It's seriously one of the most fun I've had at the theatre yet.

Also, if you come next year then Young Frankestein will be playing by then. A sure hit that will give you that awe-factor.

~Darci

rosiemint
#26re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:45am

You guys are so helpful!
I didn't realise so many people my age used this site.

Right now, I am leaning towards:
Spring Awakening (which I will see ALONE haha)
Rent (awe-factor)
A Chorus Line (to do with broadway shows, besides it's the show my parents saw for their Honeymoon in London)

What's "Curtains", if you don't mind me asking?

Broadway is a very special place, filled with very special people - people who can sing and dance, often at the same time!
They are a different people,
a multi-talented people,
a people who need people
and are, in many ways, the luckiest people in the world.

COOOOLkid
#27re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 7:11am

Curtains is a mediocre backstage murder mystery comedy musical.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#28re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 7:51am

I wouldn't see Curtauns. It's boring. But that's just me...

Spring Awakening, Rent & ACL are good choices.

If you can see a 4th show see Legally Blonde or Spelling Bee. The shows are just fun and very light on compared to the other shows you're seeing.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#29re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 7:56am

Hairspray
Drowsy Chaperone
Legally Blonde
Wicked
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 07:56 AM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#30re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:31pm

A Chorus Line probably would be a good one, very big and wow-factor-ish.

Sorry... what? I mean, yeah the finale is "big," but other than that I think it's a pretty small, intimate show. That's just me.

You should still see A Chorus Line, either way. re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

poeticmelody Profile Photo
poeticmelody
#31re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:51pm

Rent and SA without a doubt

Hollywood the Write Way

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#32re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 2:37pm

I don't know why everyone thinks so lowly of Curtains. I think it's a great show. It starts out with a musical within the musical. The lead is horrible, she has no idea what to do and it's opening night. The next song is about the creative team singing about all the horrible reviews they got in a hilarious song called "What Kind of a Man". But then after they ripped up all the newspapers they find a part of a good review so they are looking on the floor for the rest of it. Then the last part of the song they song about how great the reviewers are.

Then we learn that the lead has been rushed to the hospital but no one is really broken up because she wasn't that great anyways. Once they find out shes dead the whole cast and creative team of the musical within the musical is on the stage and they sing a song about how happy they are she's dead. It's really funny.

Enter David Hyde Pierce. He plays the decetive - slash - Broadway lover. He is sent there to try to solve the case but while he's at it he solves the problem with the musical and fixes it so it doesn't just flop when it gets to Broadway. He has a lot of great songs, my favorite is "Show People" about how everyone wants to be in the show business. David's character also gets a crush on Niki (played by the very talented Jill Paice) and he askes her out several times, each time she needing to remind him that the entire cast and crew is in quintain.

The cast is also all brillant. Edward Hibbert who plays the director is just a riot. He is great in anything he does, this show is not an exception. Karen Ziembra is another great actress, she's a great singer. Debra Monk is very funny in her role. Megan Sikora who plays Bambi is a riot. Her big number Kansasland is a lot of fun and she has a lot of talent. Jill Paice is adorable, she has this amazing dance number with David called "A Tough Act to Follow" it starts out as this simple dance and ends with the entire ensemble singing and dancing, everything and everyone in white. It's beauitful.

Overall this is one of my favorite shows I've seen. Yes, it's a little cheesy at points but I think that's what makes it, it's supposed to be that way. Each number is even more amazing than the last. It will without a doubt give you that awe-factor. It's not a serious show it's just a lot of laughter and fun. It is truely just a fun night at the theatre. You should at least consider this show. You won't walk away dissapointed.

~Darci

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#33re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 5:54pm

Keep in mind this is a really biased opinion, but I say Spring Awakening. Or maybe Mary Poppins.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#34re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:54pm

rosiemint, I think you made really good choices. RENT is a must if you have never seen it. As far as Spring Awakening, I am...um 40 something(!) and I loved the show and would see it again. I listen to the cast recording all the time.

Just give the world Love.

kate2
#35re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 10:04pm

Legally Blonde!

Fanadu_Xtreme Profile Photo
Fanadu_Xtreme
#36re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 10:57pm

Thank you for that second by second review, Millie.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#37re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/11/07 at 11:53pm

in this order:
spring awakening [whatever you do, you must see this!!]
a chorus line
rent
wicked
hairspray

and do you like plays? i'm 17 and i do and there are quite a few great ones out right now.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#38re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 12:38am

Rosie, I think you made some really great choices. Are you planning on seeing several? A good variety might be:
A Chorus Line.
RENT (you seem to be really interested in it)
Hairspray.
You would love Drowsy.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

rosiemint
#39re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:47am

Hah, oh my, there are tonnes I could go and see. Yes, I would plan on seeing several as that would be the main reason for my going over there. And preferably shows that are not yet released, or are better versions of the ones, in the West End.

Oh, and Dramaqueen2? Yes, I am a fan of plays. Any in particular that would still be going early next year?

Thanks, Millie, Curtains sounds like a lot of fun.

Hairspray? The same Hairspray that is in the cinemas right now? I haven't seen it yet, but my friends adored it. Was in on Broadway before the film came out?

Broadway is a very special place, filled with very special people - people who can sing and dance, often at the same time!
They are a different people,
a multi-talented people,
a people who need people
and are, in many ways, the luckiest people in the world.

COOOOLkid
#40re: Ideal shows for a seventeen year old?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 10:11pm

Yes, Hairspray has been on Broadway for several years now.

I doubt A Chorus Line will go to WestEnd. The movie version is just... disgusting, compared to the stage version.

So go see that!

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy