[title of show] going to Broadway?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#1[title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:38pm

Watch this around 2:50 Updated On: 8/12/07 at 11:38 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:47pm

This has been a pretty poorly kept secret within the Broadway community.

The producers of the show have been adamant about trying to make a commercial transfer happen since the Off-Broadway mounting closed.

Last I heard, they'd hoped to take The Helen Hayes after what they presumed would be a short lived existence for "Xanadu." As we all know now, high box office figures and rave reviews prevented that from happening.

I still don't see the show ever being a success on a mainstream level (it couldn't even consistently sell out The Vineyard,) but stranger things have happened.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#2re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:52pm

Yeah, I wonder what the plans are now with the Helen Hayes taken up for who knows how long right now.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#3re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:54pm

I seriously could care less about what theatre it is in. I want this to happen. I want this to happen so bad. [title of show] on Broadway with Hunter Bell, Jeff Bowen, Heidi Blickenstaff, & Susan Blackwell would pretty much make me the happiest girl.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:00am

YAY!! Circle In The Square, baby!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#5re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:10am

As much as I love "Spelling Bee", I totally wouldn't mind if it closed so that [tos] could open on Broadway.

RentBoy86
#6re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:55am

They really need to build more "Helen Hayes"ish theaters on B'way.

neddyfrank2
#7re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:15am

This show would fail miserably on Broadway. Not that I would want it to, it just won't appeal to the mass audience at all.

Yankeefan007
#8re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:25am

Isn't Susan doing Little Mermaid?

I'd assume they'd wait for her.

And yes, [tos] has been preparing for Broadway since they closed last. They wanted the Hayes, but it looks like that ain't happening.

Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:51am

Heidi is in MERMAID. Of course they would wait for Heidi to finish out her MERMAID contract, unless she has a clause in her contract giving her an out if another project comes along. That's not uncommon. Look at DeQuina Moore and Leslie Kritzer.

I think this show would fair very well in the Circle. This show costs pennies to run (four actors, two understudies, four chairs).

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

neddyfrank2
#10re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:57am

I think this show would fair very well in the Circle. This show costs pennies to run (four actors, two understudies, four chairs).

Can a show on Broadway survive with just four actors and four chairs?

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#11re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:59am

Hopefully we will find out.

I hope it makes it to Broadway. I want them to be part of it all even though they aren't a jukebox musical, a revival, or a recognizable commodity.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:00am

FROZEN, at the Circle, had four actors and not much of a set. SPELLING BEE is very minimal as well.

-Kad

neddyfrank2
#13re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:18am

Yes but FROZEN didn't have a very long run...

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#14re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:20am

This would make me the happiest girl of all time.

[title of show] deserves to be seen by the world!!!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#15re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:01am

would it be a limited run type deal? I am a HUGE fan of the show and want this to happen but am horrified that it COULD fail miserably. I don't know what a tourist would think of the show as it's so much inside theater jokes.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#16re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 7:36am

I personally liked this show, but financially this would be a diaster in the making. When I saw it, which was one of the last performances the theatre was only about 70% full and there were discount codes for half price tickets. And nobody is kicking Xanadu out of the Helen Hayes.

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#17re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 9:04am

I am extremely excited by this news. I've been hearing rumblings that this might happen for a long time.

Best line: "What's the most awesome part about collaborating with Hunter?"

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

leefowler
#18re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:19am

I might be in the minority here, but I actually think TOS would be a hit in a small theatre on Broadway. One reason for this: It's terrific. I personally would see it many times, and I don't think I'm alone. I hope it happens.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#19re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:22am

"I actually think TOS would be a hit in a small theatre on Broadway. One reason for this: It's terrific."

What? There have many terrific shows on Broadway that have failed. What makes [title of show] any different?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

leefowler
#20re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:28am

I think that the "terrific" shows out there that have failed have done so because they were too big to make a profit and stay alive. The overhead of TOS is realtively small, like Spelling Bee, so it could thrive with a small, dedicated audience. But again, I'm a huge fan of the show, so maybe I'm being blinded by my enthusiasm.

I would be interested to see your list of terrific shows that have failed on Broadway.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#21re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:34am

Well, of the top of my head:

Grey Gardens
Company (revival)
Caroline, Or Change
Jay Johnson: The Two and Only! (smaller cast than [title of show], and only lasted 80 performances)

I'm just saying, a show being terrific doesn't mean it will do well on Broadway.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:39am

Yes but FROZEN didn't have a very long run...

So let me get this right. Your logic here is that shows with four or less cast members have a higher potential at failure than shows with big enormous casts?

Sarah Jones' show just a few years ago seemed to do fine with one person. There have been many successful shows with small casts. PROOF had four cast members and ran for over two years. DOUBT ran for over a year with a cast of four.

-Kad

Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:43am

PROOF and DOUBT were in the Walter Kerr, with 947 seats and a cast of four.

If [tos] were in the Circle, it would be 623 seats and a cast of four.

-Kad

NJgirl
#24re: [title of show] going to Broadway?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:03am

There's no way I can see them doing this on Broadway WITHOUT Heidi. I'm gonna take a wild guess that she definitely has an out of some sort in her contract if [tos] came to Broadway, like Foster said. That show is their baby and like I said, I can't see them doing it with one of the 4 missing. Circle in the Square would be perfect. I don't care where it plays, I just want to see it again!

Videos