Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#1Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:33am

Hello there
Well, I hate to be one of those people who starts a "What should I see?" thread, but I just need some opinions.
Next week I'm flying in on Saturday (the 25th), and as I've said before, am seeing THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING that night. So I'm trying to decide if I should either see JERSEY BOYS or LEGALLY BLONDE that afternoon.

JERSEY BOYS: This is the only show besides AVENUE Q that I haven't seen on Broadway, but there's a reason why because the story doesn't sound all that interesting to me. I like the music, though, and listen to most of the songs on the cast recording. But I feel this is one of those shows that you "need" to see because, well, its JERSEY BOYS and it won Best Musical. But I'm wondering if the cast is worth seeing, now that most of them have been in the show for almost 2 years and might be a little strained? And this show has standing room, correct? Because its near impossible to find seats on Telecharge, so that'd be my only option.

LEGALLY BLONDE: I saw this show back in May- I didn't care for it a whole lot, but still had an enjoyable time. I mainly liked it because of the music and the cast (mostly Laura Bell, though). But I can find a lot better seats for this than for JERSEY BOYS, and this would probably be the only oppertunity I'll have to see it for another year or so, because of the overload of shows opening. And by then Laura Bell would be gone, and I wouldn't have any interest in seeing it again.

So yeah, now that I gave my descriptions, which one do you think I should see? I know most everyone will say JERSEY BOYS due to the amount of dislike LEGALLY BLONDE has on this board, but I just need some honest opinions about what you all think would be better :)

Sorry to bug you, and thank you everyone

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:35am

I would see JB only because you haven't seen it yet. What LB seats can you get?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#2re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:37am

Row F in the Orchestra

Last time I saw it I had much further back in the Orchestra...

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#3re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:01pm

Go see Jersey Boys hands down, if you can get a ticket.
You will be glad you saw Jersey Boys and the whole cast is the nicest on Broadway! They are gracious and always willing to talk to you after the show. You will also probably see oringinal 4 Jersey Boys since they are all back from their vacations.

Good Luck and have a great time in New York!

Feel the Love - Les Mis

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#4re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:08pm

Is your Jersey Boys plan just to try and get SRO tix- do you have plans if that doesn't happen?

I vote JB just because you've already seen Blonde, but I don't know that I vote JB if your plan is just to try and get SRO tix- are you prepared to wait on line all morning (I haven't done it- but I think the JB SRO queue fills up quickly?) when visiting the city?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:15pm

Go to JERSEY BOYS...it's meant to entertain as LB is but it does it more successfully and you leave feeling like you got more bang for your buck. It's entertaining but at times surprisingly involving...

And the August Wilson is a relatively intimate theater...I sat in the Mezzanine and saw everything pretty clearly...the last few rows are somewhat far back though so you may want to bring binoculars if that's where you are planning on sitting. I also had a blast in the mezzanine (the audience up there was hilarious...although the singing along did get very irritating).

But I would say JERSEY BOYS.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#6re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:23pm

Analeka- my plan for JERSEY BOYS is to do standing room, and if I don't get standing room, I guess I'd just see what tickets are left there, or at the LEGALLY BLONDE box office. You know, just to see what's available.
So how early would I need to get there to get a standing room ticket for JERSEY BOYS?
I'm pretty much convinced I want to see that now, haha
Thanks for the help so far :)

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#7re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:31pm

I was there on a Sunday in July and there were standing room available but I was able to purchase a ticket for my friend on cancellation line. I already had a ticket but she needed one. It ended up that her ticket she purchased was better than mine. I had row D right orchestra and the ticket she purchased on cancellation line was Center row orchestra row E for 116.00 so I would say if you have the cash, go for the cancellation line so you will be sitting the entire show and really enjoy it!
Good Luck! re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?

Feel the Love - Les Mis

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#8re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:33pm

Wow, thats good to know!
So when can I buy tickets from the cancellation line? Like an hour for before the show?

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#9re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:37pm

It all depends when you are going Sat or Sun or during the week.
For example I had a Sunday performance ticket and was looking for one for my friend so I showed up at 1:00 for a 3:00 p.m. peformance. There were 3 people in line. So it really depends on what day you are going to see JB?

Feel the Love - Les Mis

alex2155 Profile Photo
alex2155
#10re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:40pm

I LOVE Legally Blonde, but I would still say Jersey Boys. I've also see JB and it is incredible!!!! However getting tickets for JB will be VERY difficult. I got tickets about 2 months in advance and was in the last row. I requested no partial view though, so maybe you can get that. I don't know how good or bad partial view is for JB.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#11re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:40pm

I'm seeing a Saturday matinee performance, so I'd get there at 12, or probably 11:00 or 11:30 to be safe.
And standing room also goes onsale at 12, correct?
Sorry for all the questions!

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#12re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 12:54pm

I would do 11:00-11:30 since it is a Saturday and a Matinee.

Good Luck and let us know what you thought of the show.

Feel the Love - Les Mis

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#13re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 1:52pm

Oh Lord, are you really asking this?
There is no question. Jersey Boys blows Legally Blonde out of the water and into another universe. To see them both in the same sentence is laughable.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

JB Fan
#14re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:09pm

saturday mat/jersey boys? no john lloyd young...

see it anyway.

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#15re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:45pm

See JB.

They are still as good when they started and the understudies are great as well :P

Wilko
#16re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 4:09pm

Haven't seen it since right after opening, but JB is (for my money) the best show on Broadway. You'll love it, if you can get tickets!

LB is a helluva good time. If you can't get in to see JB, you'll have a ball.

Have fun!

D

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#17re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 6:06pm

Dont be Blonde! See Jersey Boys!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#18re: Jersey Boys or Legally Blonde?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 6:25pm

They are both two of my favorite musicals, but I would vote for Jersey Boys! They are all very nice at the stage door and are willing to take pictures with you as well! You will LOVE the show! Have a wonderful time and a fun trip to the city!

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

Videos