Light in the Piazza(s)

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#1Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:06am

Now that the tour is over and regional theaters will likely include Piazza in their seasons, which actresses would you like to see tackle Clara and Margot?

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#2re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:12am

I don't know who I'd like to see play Margot in Piazza because I didn't know that role existed in the show. Care to elaborate on this new character?

that's a really big mic...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:17am

I didn't know Guettel and Lucas were STILL rewriting! My goodness! What perfectionists! Who is this Margot?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#3re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:28am

Ha!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#4re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:51am

Whoa! Down kitties! Sorry- That typo was enough to make a Piazza-obsessed fan foam at the mouth!
Magaret and Clara, that is.
Updated On: 8/23/07 at 11:51 AM

Operagod01
#5re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 6:04pm

Interesting question to ponder about.....? Who knows, it's such a special role. My Guess is that Jane Brockman will get some regional work from being the TOUR u/s. What a role! I was very sorry that none of our regional companies in Souther Calif. have it planned for the next season. I was very curious to see what they do with it.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#6re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:09pm

Its driving me crazy that I haven't seen this show other than the PBS special!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

MerMaggieGalinda
#7re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:13pm

Me too. But anyway, on the subject, I think Lauren Molina would make a good Clara.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:23pm

I hope that either Arena Stage in DC, or Roundhouse Theatre in Bethesda, MD produce this show. I'd love to see Lynne Wintersteller as Margaret.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:45pm

The national tour just played most of the cities that have major professional theatre companies (the rights are currently only available for the professional market) so it may be a couple of seasons before most of the big companies want to do it.

That said, there are lots of superb "local stars" in most of the big theatre cities, so I don't know that you are really going to see people like Carolee Carmello or Marin Mazzie going out to do it regioinally. I bet Susan Moniz, for example, plays Margaret in Chicago.
Updated On: 8/23/07 at 07:45 PM

Operagod01
#10re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:59pm

I also think that Margaret Johnson is a role that we will see played very poorly once there are no restrictions on the rights. Even some regionals here in Southern Calif. have poor casting taste. Lord! that's going to hurt!

That score is so stunning! It's a real piece of art, and because of that I think that some smaller theatres will do a good job. Who will ever be able to compete with the Lincoln Center produciotn? But a smaller inspired version would probably be great (in the right hands).

The tour went very well (I saw it on several stops... including the final show). Tours are often known to be sloppy by the end, but not Piazza. I hope companies do it for the love of the entire show and not because their favorite actress wants to be Margaret (and yes, the regionals are often guilty here), because even though Margaret is THE key role, it still needs the same quality from each and every actor.

We can only wait and see. At least till Fall of 2008 (unless something happens) The regionals and stock will be the only companies that are able to secure rights.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#11re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 8:32pm

A Piazza related question-
Is Mr. Guettel ever going to allow the full vocal score to be published. Floyd Collins and Myths and Hymns both have had their vocal scores published. Will the same happen for Piazza? I'd love to read through it some day.

Operagod01
#12re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 8:47pm

Yes, it will come out within the next 12 months. Probably closer to the END of that time (but you never know). The script took FOREVER and kept getting delayed. I have the score, and I know they are working on tightening it up for publication. It's one DIFFICULT score to play. And things like "Octet" and "Aiutami" are CRAZY! When I recorded the selections for Adam (with my students) An accompanist or two declined. I finally got a Doctoral Student and she sight-read it! Granted some of the "Aiutami" was very hard to get in sync with the singers. You really need Bass and Drum in this number to hold it together).

At any rate, the score is beautiful and you'll enjoy seeing it.

Updated On: 8/23/07 at 08:47 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#13re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 9:46pm

I assumed it'd be published eventually. I don't see why this tradition of scores being published has stopped though. I know that many people use them for illegal productions, but plenty of people just enjoy reading, singing and playing through them like me. Thankfully the Guettel shows are published.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:01pm

I don't think scores are rarely published because of the "illegal" production fear (I can just see community theatres and high schools scrambling to do their bootleg versions of PIAZZA...) The truth is: the amount of time and money it takes to have a score reduced to a piano orchestration is extremely high. As is the cost of printing. Vocal scores cost almost $100 retail. And there isn't that big of a demand for them.

Sondheim is really the only living musical theatre composer I can think of who routinely gets full vocal scores published of his works. And now Guettel, though I'm sure his legacy and direct connection to Williamson Music work in his favor.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#15re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:08pm

Kaitlyn Hopkins for Margaret? Maybe in a few years?

evadiva Profile Photo
evadiva
#16re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:19pm

"Floyd Collins and Myths and Hymns both have had their vocal scores"

Ah - yesterday I was SALIVATING over the Floyd Collins score at a broadway store on 44th.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:40pm

I love working in a bookshop. We got paid on Monday, and it was a happy me carting home my vocal score of 'Floyd Collins' and volume 1 of 'The Collected Plays Of Edward Albee' that evening. God bless staff discount. :3

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#18re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/24/07 at 11:11pm

Christine Ebersole and Erin Davie. Seriously. I think they'd both be fabulous, especially Christine.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/24/07 at 11:25pm

They would, but I'm hoping they'll do Applause together at Encores! first. At least we know Ebersole will be.

Operagod01
#20re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/24/07 at 11:45pm

Yes, they would be fine. Christine Ebersole is a very fine actress and she does have a good legit voice. I've never found her to be a "deep" performer, but I am sure she would make the role her own. She's a pro!

musicman_17082
#21re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/25/07 at 3:55am

How long till Piazza is available for ameteur productions through MTI and the like?

I'd die to do this show.

Operagod01
#22re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:39am

As it stands (as of last week) it's going to be the end of 2008 or early 2009 before it's realeased for amateur performances. R&H Theatricals handles the rights.

SporkGoddess
#23re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:30am

Lauren Molina is too MT soprano for Clara, IMO. I prefer more classical-style sopranos in the role.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#24re: Light in the Piazza(s)
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:46pm

Well, you didn't hear Clarke on the PBS recording obviously.

Videos