Rocky Horror Shout-Outs

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#1Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:44am

I'm finally seeing a live production of Rocky Horror this weekend and it's the show where you dress up and the audience shouts things at the audience like everytime someone says Brad you say ASSHOLE or whatever, I don't really know them. Well I was wondering if any of you had a link or even had a list of things people shout back so I know some of them. Thanks in advance!

gymdudeva
#2re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:19am

Live productions can really vary....usually, the shout-outs are not as audience-driven as at the movie, and the audience interaction is more controlled. Any good production will prep the audience somehow beforehand...a printed list of what to yell, or a pre-show warm-up where they give you instructions. Sometimes extra cast act as audience members and do pre-planned shout-outs that the audience can catch on to and join in with as they are repeated. Many of the movie ones are prop-driven (the rice, for example) and won't work in the live theatre. I googled and couldn't find a list, but there should be something out there. And suddenly this old brain couldn't remember any. I'll sleep on it....

Funniest one I ever heard, at a live production in northern Virginia:

Frank 'n' Furter: Come on Brad! There's no law against giving yourself over to absolute pleasure!
Audience member: There is in Virginia!!

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#2re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:21am

Here is an audience participation script....

Hope you enjoy!!

Rocky Participation Script

"Theater is not only the meeting place of all the arts, but the return of art to life." -- Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 09:21 AM

CJR
#3re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:50pm

Awe, a Rocky Virgin! I love it!!!!!! re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:57pm

Did the show last winter....my favorite is in Science Fiction after the line "Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills" you say "What the F**ks a Triffid?"

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#5re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:08pm

I see it at the movie every other weekend. Total blast.

Yankeefan007
#6re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:19pm

The last revival had a kick-ass audience participation bag.

Came with a list of lines and when to say them, confetti (to throw at the wedding scene), a newspaper (to cover your head with), a playing card (I forget why), and a boa (to wear during the floorshow).

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#7re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:20pm

^^ Cards were for when Frank sings "Cards of sorrow, cards of shame" in I'm coming home

Frank: "What ever happened to Fay Wray?"
Audience: "She went ape sh*#"

"Theater is not only the meeting place of all the arts, but the return of art to life." -- Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 02:20 PM

Violet Tree
#8re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:30pm

I know that many of the cast members of the last revival hated audience particpation. I heard of several accurances when Lea DeLaria and Alice Ripley screamed at audience members because it was distracting.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:31pm

Geez,

I remember the first time I saw the film when I was in school. No one warned me about the shout outs and I got mad because I couldn't hear the movie over everyone yelling.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#10re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:33pm

Having done the show it can get really distracting with the call-outs..,but we had some more dead nights and those were worse because they may be distracting but they made the show fun.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#11re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:35pm

It's Rocky...What were they expecting? It's definitely NOT quality theater....Just a great time for the audience....For goodness sakes, they sold Rocky bags with confetti to throw and a card with lines on it for the audience to interject with....IMO.

Violet Tree
#12re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:44pm

It's Rocky...What were they expecting? It's definitely NOT quality theater....Just a great time for the audience....For goodness sakes, they sold Rocky bags with confetti to throw and a card with lines on it for the audience to interject with....IMO.

Actually the call outs started with the film, when it was a stage show prior in London there was no call outs, so it makes sense not to have them in a stage production.

NBC
#13re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:23pm

But since the movie came out, the callbacks have been used in London during Rocky Horror Show revivals. (They seem to revive it pretty regularly there!) The audiences didn't just start using them for the U.S. stage revival.

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#14re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:28pm

Every production I have seen of it (even the Bway revival) the audience participates. In my experience, they actually encourage it. For instance, the Bway revival sold Rocky bags. If it was a taboo, the bags wouldn't have been sold. Rocky has such a cult following that it's nearly impossible to stage it or show the film without any of the hoopla going on.

Violet Tree
#15re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:35pm

Yes, but the bags were the producers idea, the actors didn't like it.
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 03:35 PM

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#16re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:39pm

It's Rocky and the actors should have expected it. Most people know what it's all about and know what they are getting themselves into when they agree to do the show.

Theatrefan33
#17re: Rocky Horror Shout-Outs
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:41pm

Lea was the exception not the rule. And excluding Shout-outs that made personal reference to the actors, the cast was fine with call backs.
With out the Audience Participation people would have not have seen the show repeatedly and it would have closed in 2 weeks.

Videos