Musicals with an Edge

Character Actor Profile Photo
Character Actor
#1Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:38am

I am in the process of proposing a radio show called "Broadway's Edge," at my college, and would love to hear your thoughts on what OBCRs I should use/play. It could be Broadway or Off Broadway or practically ANY musical with a rock edge or "new" sound.

Basically I want to show the world that may not be too familiar with The Great White Way that Musical Theatre has evolved over the years, and that their perception of the grandiose Rodgers and Hammerstein musical is not the norm it once was.

Anyway, I would appreciate any examples of musicals to use for this upcoming project

Thanks in advance!

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#2re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:52am

Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Who’s Tommy, Hair all seem like obvious examples to use. I would say the original concept recording of Chess(more than the OBCR) should be included. The Broadway recording softened the rock/pop sound and made it more “theater friendly.” I think Chess, possibly even more so than Hair captured the contemporary sound of pop music at the time. Of course, like all things that are truly contemporary it sounds fairly dated now, but the music is still a great example of how a musical can reflect the sound of popular music.

Character Actor
#2re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:44pm

hey thanks a lot!

And also thanks to the 77 other people who viewed this and decided not to help me out! :P

All kidding aside, if anyone else would care to give in their 2 cents, it would be mighty helpful!

Thanks! re: Musicals with an Edge

jake6970
#3re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:47pm

Spring Awakening, Rent, Hair, Tommy, some of Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar...I'm sure there are many others.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#4re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:53pm

Look at Batboy, (Watcha Wanna Do, Comfort and Joy, apology to a cow)
The American Trailor Park musical,
Legally blond,
Bright lights, Big City,
Taboo
the Last Five Years
THe Lippa wild Party
Altar Boyz
Avenue Q
anything LaChuisa (esp. See what i wanna see)
godspell (2000 off- B'way cast)
Spring Awakening

hope that helps

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Eponine3
#5re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:28pm

Your radio sounds great! Good Luck :)
If you are still looking for some ideas I would also suggest
"The Last Five Years"
and
"Dirty Rotton Scoundrels"

Hope that helps!

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:31pm

i second Lippa's The Wild Party and also would add "See What I Want To See". another great CD is "Falsettoland". boy/boy love songs are the best :)

Character Actor
#7re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/13/07 at 11:38pm

Thanks a lot, gang. All of these should come in handy. I hope it's enough to fill two hours a week though haha

rockfenris2005
#8re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 5:12am

Character Actor, we should talk, since I am working on a similar concept.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#9re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 5:39am

I would also add Dreamgirls. The original cast recording was actually quite successful on the R&B charts when it first premiered. Also any of the shows written by Elton John would make good examples.

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#10re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:13am

Off-Broadway:
bare
tick, tick...BOOM!
Evil Dead: The Musical

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

Dad'sOldRecords
#11re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:34am

I would also add 'Hedwig.'

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#12re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:46am

To be cliche rent and spring awakening
also hair, a chorus line (at least in its time) and In the Heights.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Actinggbugg474
#13re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 9:05am

"Edges" by Pasek and Paul. It's even in the name!

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#14re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 9:59am

The Rocky Horror Show revival album.

MuslimBwayFan
#15re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 10:00am

For REAL edge, I suggest you take a look at works like John Adam's I Was Looking At The Ceiling and Then I Saw the Sky. If you haven't heard it, it's an amazing album with Audra as well.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#16re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 10:57am

I don't know a whole lot about edges but from what i have heard it definitely does have that edge.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#17re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 2:56pm

I would even try and contacting young writers like Joe Iconis, Kerrigan & Lowdermilk, Pask & Paul about playing some demos of theres, and maybe even getting interviews. Search around Myspace for some up-and-coming young composers, listening to their stuff and contacting if there is anything you like.

Akiva

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#18re: Musicals with an Edge
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:57pm

If you listen to different forms of the EVITA recordings, there are some songs..in particular a song called "The Lady's Got Potential" which is very rock sounding in the 1976 Studio Cast, cut from the Broadway Show and re-entered for the movie (Antonio Banderas' does it well!), and of course songs like "A New Argentina," etc. about EVITA. Jekyll & Hyde too sounds somewhat "rock-ish" though I'm not sure if thats the sound you'd be going for...and lastly, if you listen to many of the songs in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (suprising) you can, too, hear guitar in it (particularly in the movie soundtrack).

Videos