News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Me & My Girl" - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?

"Me & My Girl" - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#1"Me & My Girl" - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:08pm

M&MG is one of my all time favorite musicals. It's so charming, so clever, so whitty. Did anyone see when it played on Broadway?

Any chances that it could be revived anytime soon?
Updated On: 11/20/07 at 06:08 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#2re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:11pm

Yes, some friends and I went to see it as a way of celebrating our 30th birthdays. Very enjoyable. re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?

Ed_Mottershead
#2re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:13pm

I saw it in preview with Robert Lindsay. It was a lot of fun, but nothing I felt I needed to see more than once. MaryAnn Plunkett (where's she these days?) also was terrific. That was the year of Les Miz -- a show I DON'T like at all -- and it was gratifying that Lindsay beat out that pretentious Colm Wilkenson for the Tony.

BroadwayEd

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#3re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:18pm

I have the dvd from PBS..."Broadways Treasures" that has the Tony Award performances on it. "The Lambeth Walk" is on the dvd and it's quite the show stopper and definate crowd pleaser.

MaryAnn P won the Tony as Best Actress in a musical that year. If I remember correctly, M&MG was the first show at The Marquis Theatre and it ran for 5 years or so.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:19pm

I saw it 3 times during its run on Broadway. What a delightful show, and for some reason I remember getting teary eyed at the opening number (sometimes happy songs do that to me).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Lynnespock2
#5re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:21pm

I saw it and thought it was a very enjoyable musical.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:22pm

I was at the opening night because i was the assistant house manager when the show opened at the Adelphi in the West End. Mr Nederlander flew 10 of us over for 2 days. It was a great performance and very special seeing it on Broadway after looking after it as it opened in London. A wonderful show , it was touring the UK last year but closed before it reached London for reasons never really explained!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Ed_Mottershead
#7re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:11pm

You're right about M&MG being the first show at the Marquis, sort of. I believe that the Marquis was used as the venue for some pop singer for a limited run previous to M&MG.

BroadwayEd

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#8re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:17pm

I saw it 3 times.

Once with Robert Lindsay - once with Jim Dale and a third on tour with Tim Curry.

All 3 were excellent but it was Marianne Plunkett , who did the female lead in the first cast with Mr. Lindsay who was absolutely breathtaking.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#9re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:18pm

I think Robert Lindsay was replaced by James Brennan, who was fabulous, too. Mr. Brennan also did the first national tour, I believe.

There's a good performance taped for PBS at the Paper Mill Playhouse starring Jim Walton. I recorded it the last time it aired. I still enjoy watching it.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

neddyfrank2
#10re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:21pm

I saw it with Jamie Torcellini as Bill. He was fabulous!

What a charming show!

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#11re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:42pm

The show taped for PBS with Jim Walton was "Crazy For You" - a completely different show.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#12re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:46pm

Jamie T as Bill..............he's brilliant. I've done the show several times, once with Jamie as Bill, and other time when Jamie directed the show. He's fantastic!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#13re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:51pm

Thank you, South Marc, you are so right!!! I am so deranged!!!

I know why they are scrambled in my brain...I saw James Brennan on Broadway in BOTH "Crazy for You" and "Me and My Girl." It's understandable that I would be dazed...he was quite swoonworthy!

Sorry!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

neddyfrank2
#14re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:52pm

I saw Jamie Torcellini again this summer in the show. He's still got it!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#15re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:55pm

He's amazing in the role. What theatre did you see him do it at? I've also done M&MG with Randy Hills as Bill.......a member of the original Broadway cast, that Jamie directed. Both guys are wonderful - each very different. With Jamie, there's so much of the physical comedy.

neddyfrank2
#16re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:05pm

Moonlight Amphitheater in Vista, CA.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#17re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:52pm

I would have loved to have seen it. I was in it in high school. It had a great overture and actually, the music was more impressive in its instrumental version than sung.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#18re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:08pm

It was one of the very first shows I ever saw on Broadway -- I remember laughing hysterically at the library scene where Bill and Sally are reading the Bible...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#19re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:24pm

needyfrank2, thanks for the update. Vista is a great theatre to work at. I've done a few shows down there.

neddyfrank2
#20re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:28pm

Which shows? I have probably seen you in some!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#21re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:41pm

I did "Oklahoma" in the early 90's and "Carousel."

Updated On: 11/20/07 at 10:41 PM

neddyfrank2
#22re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:58pm

I don't remember those but I am sure I saw them. I have had a summer subscription there forever.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#23re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:59pm

I saw the show shortly after it opened at The Adelphi in London. The theatre is on The Strand, down the street from The Savoy Theatre, where many of the Gilbert and Sullivan shows debuted (that theatre and the attached hotel was built by Richard D'oily Carte, the producer of all the G&S shows.

The Adelphi was a high art deco theatre and very intimate. Naturally, Robert Lindsay was great as was his leading lady.... Emma Thompson! It's amazing to think of the Academy Award winning dramatic actress tap dancing, but she was fantastic.

When I saw the show in New York, the production was excellen but I preferred the British one.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#24re: 'Me & My Girl' - did anyone see it at The Marquis Theatre?
Posted: 11/21/07 at 4:03am

Saw this production at the Leicester Haymarket on its 2nd night, with Robert Lindsay and Emma Thompson. From there it went to London with the same cast and then onto Broadway with RL. I think that beats you all!!

Videos