Cry Baby 12-6-07

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#1Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/7/07 at 10:34pm

I got a single ticket to see the show last night and boy I felt pretty lucky, since the entire run is sold out, and I got to see a quality Broadway show in the making...wow.

The music of the show left the biggest impression on me, I am disappointed that I could not get the cast recording. (Does anyone know if that is going to happen?) The scenic design was the next part of the show that impressed me, the skewed aspect ratio was outstanding, rarely does the staging, sets, and props effect my opinion of a show, but in this "tongue-in-cheek" styled musical the sets made the action on the stage very appealilng and creative.

The actors look like they are in the process of getting to their roles. There were so many memorable characters and lines, based on their timing and movements you could tell they are just starting to have fun with it.

The males dancers were the biggest disappointment for me. The 3 main ones are strong dancers, but they had no sense of each other. Rob Ashford's style is not my favorite, but it fits in this wonderful show.

Highlights are: "Screw Loose", Polio vaccination scene, "Agony" scene to start the 2nd act, Harris's ending number was great, and lyrics of the songs (all very witty and hilarious)

I loved J. Synder, a fellow USC Trojan I might add "Fight On!" my brother, he carried the show and did an impressive ad lib when he broke a table on stage by accident, great acting.

E. Stanley, who I loved in "Company", gave an admirable effort. As was stated in some of the reviews, she doesn't look comfortable, she did not hurt or distract the story or the show. She will do well in NYC.

I had a great night of theater, I hope I can get back down and see the show again, so if you have some tickets give me a PM, I will gladly take them off your hands.

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 12:11am

Is there any shirtless stuff like in the movie?
We are hearing such mixed interest in NYC.

neddyfrank2
#2re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 1:50am

Yes there is. Not James Snyder...

Spencer Liff is for most of the show.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#3re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 12:28pm

"Is there any shirtless stuff like in the movie? "

Good Lord!

Save your masurbation for the privacy of your own room.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#4re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 3:25pm

I don't think he meant he was going to do that in the theater... then again, if he did and John Waters was in the audience, Mr. Waters would probably applaud him.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#5re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 3:37pm

curtainpuller is such a perv lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jake6970
#6re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 3:40pm

Someone did that at Spring Awakening during the sex scene and was kicked out.

SahDu
#7re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 4:39pm

"Someone did that at Spring Awakening during the sex scene and was kicked out."

You can't be serious. No way. Is there documentation of this?!

Jeff

Christina  Cooper Profile Photo
Christina Cooper
#8re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 7:12pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the show.. I'm seeing it this week and Im super excited!!!

"It's terrible to have a house fall on you, it is, but accidents will happen"

Hank
#9re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 7:30pm

Getting back to the subject of Cry Baby:
I have been a fan of Rob Ashford's for some time. You are not, but say it fits in with this wonderful show. His performers are usually very acrobatic, lots of flips and cartwheels and stuff. Will we get to see that here?
I loved Elizabeth Stanley in Company too, but that was not a big dance show. How is she here? Is she a real quadruple (act, sing, horn player, and dancer)?

#10re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 9:26pm

WOW...how did playing with yourself get into this thread???

Anyways....Hank, let me restate my opinion, I did not have a big problem with RA's choreography, but I DID have a big problem with the male dancers. They were not in step with each other and, though they were capable dancers they did not dance with a sense of drama and unity. They were very acrobatic, and yes you will be getting plenty of that in NYC, but hopefully with a better group of dancers.

Elizabeth Stanley did not really dance too much, not in the front at least. She did learn how to twirl a baton, which she bumbled the night I saw her. So if the quadruple is baton, not dance, then she is what you think she is.

C Cooper, make sure you give a report, you are in for a wonderful night of theater.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#11re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/8/07 at 9:38pm

Well, once you bring John Doyle into the conversation, playing with yourself can't be far behind.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

#12re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/9/07 at 8:30pm

OK TheaterKid...please explain that one to me...

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#13re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/9/07 at 10:33pm

It was a pun....Get it? You play your own insturment....

Well, it worked in my head.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Burning_Oasis
#14re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/9/07 at 10:53pm

Saw it today. The lighting, sets, and choreography were amazing.

The stand out of the show for me was Carly Jibson as Pepper. She was great.

#15re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/11/07 at 10:21pm

BO, do you have a review? Weren't the set movements unique? I just the loved the skewed looked. I thought it represented the whole context of the tongue in cheek world we were looking at.

neddyfrank2
#16re: Cry Baby 12-6-07
Posted: 12/11/07 at 10:22pm

Burning_Oasis- Did you see the matinee or evening? Where were you sitting?

Videos