Final Bows...

bwaylvsong
#25re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 6:59pm

The 42nd Street revival had an INCREDIBLE production number as the curtain call!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#26re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 7:01pm

There was a full cast dance number at the end of BOEING-BOEING which was loads of fun.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#27re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 7:24pm

Billy Elliot's "curtain call" was the longest I have ever seen. like ten minutes.

I don't really mind an encore unless instead of clapping for the actors people are clapping with the music, like in Memphis when I saw it

And the exit music to Next to Normal is so fantastic, I really wish they recorded it.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#28re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:26pm

Didn't "The Music Man" have everyone playing trombones? I know the whole cast played ukeleles during the curtain calls for "No No Nanette" in 1972.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Josh Freilich
#29re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:30pm

MOST of them played trombones. Four cast members played sax, one played cornet, two played snare drum, one was on piccolo, another on triangle, and yet another played anvil. You can guess who that one was.

Of course all of them played (intentionally, for comic effect) horribly. Nice leave'-em-laughing-on-a-high-note joke.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#30re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:31pm

They do stuff at Mamma Mia! too. They even included it in the movie.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

rmusic11322
#31re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:33pm

^ Oh yeah! The guys wearing matching costumes is hilarious!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#32re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:36pm

I might be misremembering, but I believe the Encores production of No, No, Nanette also had the cast playing ukuleles during the curtain call.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#33re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:39pm

Michael Crawford got 6 - count 'em - 6 final bows in DOTV. Whether warranted or not, re: Final Bows....

Watching Craig Bierko and Kate Levering affect seethingly envious grins-for-show at the curtain call of THOU SHALT NOT was at the the top of the list too. All whilst Norbert Leo Butz (relatively unknown) basked in applause, the only bright light in this dismal blight on the face of musical theatre. THIS is a bomb.

P

frapperia
#34re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:03am

La Cage reprises The Best Of Times and encourages the audience to join in. Priscilla reprises I Will Survive and also encourages the audience, while WWRY has Bohemian Rhapsody but doesn't encourage the audience, if my memory serves. I don't really see that much musical theatre so am struggling to remember much else. Zanna, Don't! does Sometime, Do You Think We Could Fall In Love, je pense.

Josh Freilich
#35re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:29am

The in-the-works musical revue HARPS AND ANGELS has "Short People" at the end of the curtain call.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/24/10 at 12:38am

I think it's a newer phenomenon.

What are you saying is the newer phenomenon? Singing or not singing during curtain calls? All the big old time musicals did it, but I think the trend started moving away in the late 70s/early 80s. Yes, there are always exceptions, but even from just doing community theatre plays as a kid I saw all the books with choral parts for the bows.

ghostlight2
#37re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/24/10 at 10:45am

"I might be misremembering, but I believe the Encores production of No, No, Nanette also had the cast playing ukuleles during the curtain call"

You remember correctly, givesmevoice. The conductor started alone, playing and singing, then gradually the entire cast came out and joined him - with ukeleles. It was a very sweet and cute effect that fit perfectly with the show.

LindaTNo1
#38re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/26/10 at 4:51pm

As far as a play goes, I think a final curtain call with the cast should be applause and recognition of the cast, etc. and then they step back enough for the curtain to come down. Curtain comes down, house lights up and audience exits the theater.

As far as a musical, there should be a nice wrap up song with applause and cast recognition, then final bows and holding for the audience applause, then holding hands for another round of applause, then a final short number together, audience applause while the curtain is coming down, house lights up, audience exits the theater.

I think it would depend on the type of show that is being presented to the audience and does it call for a song or simply the bow itself.

If I like the play or musical and I get a chill at the end and feel the atmosphere, the bow will always get me a little choked up inside and I think it is because I am affected by the play/characters/story, etc. I just don't want it to end. I am moved by it all.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#39re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:59pm

I don't like it when the whole audience is encouraged to clap along with music when the cast come out for their bows as it is difficult to show appreciation for a particular cast member without whooping or something like that.

I think some megamixes are a bit crazy. In Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat they sing every song again, Never Forget (take that musical) was the same.

I do like when there is a final little singing bit like in the Producers and (I think) Spamalot. Just a little something to go away with rather than a rehash of the whole show.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#40re: Final Bows...
Posted: 1/29/10 at 7:19pm

I loved in Curtains when they all came out wearing cowboy outfits and DHP came out on that huge plastic horse (which he, of course, "fell off" of). And in Legally Blonde when they're all wearing pink.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Videos