GYPSY Reviews

jagfkb
#50re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:26pm

is sondheim's year or what? Brilliant revivals of Gypsy AND Sunday? Good lord... I think god may finally be making up for the last few DECADES!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:26pm

Also love this quote.

Biggest surprise is the richness of the 25-piece orchestra, which does full justice to Jule Styne's marvelous score and Sid Ramen and Robert Ginzler's impeccable orchestrations, and never drowns the wit and sensitivity in Stephen Sondheim's lyrics.

This amazing orchestra deserves the raves.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#52re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:34pm

David Rooney's "Variety" review is such a nice tribute to both the show to begin with and this particular production.

I loved what he had to say and agree in full.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#53re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:38pm

http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=562769

You heard it here first:
Patti Lupone is going to win a lifetime achievement award for this.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#54re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:43pm

Lol, those people always make me laugh.

Kathleen knows what she is talking about though.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#55re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:50pm

Once they called Madame Rose and "optimist", I turned it off. "Insane, deluded stage mom" is more like it. Anyway, Bravo to David Rooney for a marvelously well written review. Spot on!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#56re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:10pm

Yay! for Miss Patty!

Thanks PJ- That was cute! re: GYPSY Reviews

J*

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#57re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:17pm

PJ - you're a genius. Thanks so much!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#58re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:28pm

>Sid Ramen and Robert Ginzler's impeccable orchestrations<

Poor Sid. It's Ramin, not Ramen.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#59re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:40pm

Associated Press (by Michael Kuchwara) is a rave:

"NEW YORK - The drive and determination are still there - only more so.

Patti LuPone gave a virtuosic display of both in last summer's thrilling City Center revival of "Gypsy," the enduring show-biz saga of the world's quintessential stage mother.

Now that production, decked out with a bit more scenery, has made its way to Broadway's St. James Theatre, where LuPone continues to be a major source of theatrical electricity. Heck, she probably could light all of Manhattan."

http://www.canadaeast.com/entertainment/article/251783

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#60re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:54pm

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 3/27/08 at 08:54 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#61re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:57pm

great! I am soo happy for Miss Patti...I think I am going to buy tixs for GYPSY again...
oops.. I dont know what happen to my hiatus!!! lol! probably Miss Patti is telling me.."You'll Never Get Away From Me!"

J*

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:57pm

I agree with how Rooney put it

Echoed in the tattered curtains, beat-up proscenium and cheap painted flats of James Youman's set, the melancholy textures of this story and the vanished world it depicts are beautifully etched by Laurents and a cast that wisely refuses to contemporize their approach to roles anchored in another time.

GYPSY does not need expensive sets. The family is poor and their life is not glamorous. The sets echo that. The performances and orchestra more than make up for the set.
Updated On: 3/27/08 at 08:57 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#63re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:59pm

I agree.. I'd rather see GYPSY than some over-the top YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN or THE LITTLE MERMAID.... I go to the show to see the talents, score & the orchestra...what happened to old-fashioned broadway shows? its all about the scenic design now! re: GYPSY Reviews

J*
Updated On: 3/27/08 at 08:59 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#64re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:01pm

I don't know who wrote that comment under my name about agreeing with Murray but it wasn't me. As some of you know my account keeps getting mixed up with a number of other BWW.com members, and the moderators have done nothing to help me despite of dozen of e-mails I've sent them.
Just wanted to clarify that I have not seen this revival, I thoroughly enjoyed the City Center production, and didn't think it looked cheap, nor do I agree with the talkinbroadway.com review.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#65re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:02pm

I totally agree. One thing I loved about both the revivals of Gypsy and South Pacific are the large orchestras which just contribute so much to the show. It is definitely something often taken for granted nowadays.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#66re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:03pm

What??? Ray, people write under name?? and the mods don't care?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#67re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:07pm

Not to threadjack but since someone posted a really obnoxious comment under my username I figure it makes sense to answer Ljay's question.
Yes, LJay, my account constantly gets mixed up with different BWW.com members, whenever I come on the site I look to see if I'm signed up under my name, but people have posted comments under my name numerous times and the few times I catch them I delete them. Some users have been nice enough to PM me and let me know though. And no, moderators don't seem to give a flying f*ck as long as there isn't youtube involved, or a Dorothy Collins thread, or a GREY GARDENS is closing rumor.

Back to the fabulous GYPSY reviews.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#68re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:08pm

Ray, have you PMed Craig or Rob directly?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#69re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:09pm

PMed Craig who told me to PM Rob, PMed Rob a good number of times and still waiting for an answer.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#70re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:11pm

Updated On: 3/27/08 at 09:11 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#71re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:13pm

There they go again.

I can't believe they don't care about this.

Do you change your password, ray?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#72re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:14pm

That's a great idea! sign-out and change your password via YOUR SETTINGS...

J*

ray-andallthatjazz86
#73re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:16pm

Actually the person posting under my name changed my password, I think because I used another browser and it's not letting me log in.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:18pm

I am appalled Craig and Rob don't care that people are hacking into other's accounts. This is ridiculous.

Earlier today, the entire site was hacked with Muslim stuff. And it seems they don't care about that either.

Updated On: 3/27/08 at 09:18 PM

Videos