New York Trip

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#1New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 2:40am

We're visiting NY for 5 nights (first time in 5 years or so...money!!),arriving 4/8 and leaving on Sunday afternoon.

We've booked (in order) In The Heights, A Chorus Line, Gypsy and Xanadu.

We're staying downtown in a b and b at West 11th Street, rather than mid town.

Any recommedations for dinner around that area, particuarly after the shows..places which are going to be happy when we show at 10.30/11.00?

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#2re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 2:43am

This is NY. We're happy 24/7. That's when the fun starts! A zillion great restaurants in the Village.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#2re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 2:44am

Well, depending on what you like/what your budget allows. But I'd suggest that after seeing ITH, in keeping with the Latin vibe, you go to Havana Central (which is on 46th St, just cross Times Square). Great Cuban food, awesome mojitos. I like to go to the bar there after seeing a show, usually around 10:30-11:00.

ETA: Oh you meant close to where you're staying? Well, then...there's plenty to choose from in The Village, and everything's open late. Updated On: 4/4/08 at 02:44 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 7:40am

My favorite Village place is Piccolo Angolo. YUM!! Not sure how late they're open though. My family eats before a show and goes to sleep after. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#4re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:23am

Juniors for some dessert. Your shows all sound great!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#5re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 1:24pm

Thanks to everyone (so far) who've come up with suggestions.

We're coming from the UK, so hope to make the most of our time.

Still pretty chilly?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#6re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 1:26pm

It's chilly and it's been grey and rainy. I haven't seen an extended forecast lately, and the widget on my dashboard isn't working, so I'm not sure what's being called for for next week. April's such a funny weather month!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#7re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 3:30pm

Juniors makes the best cheesecake. The owner was recently a guest on What's My Line Live In New York. He brought cheesecake for everyone in the audience!

Diane

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#8re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 3:34pm

cheesecake...my favourite!

musicandtemiror
#9re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 5:17pm

Juniors all they way!
Its amazing!

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#10re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 5:35pm

There's also a Havana Central on 17th off Union Square...they used to have a great all-you-can-eat Sunday dinner in which they pass platters--it's not served buffet style.

I'd recommend Alta, The Spotted Pig, Barbuto, Suenos, Po, Gonzo, August, Waverly Inn (If you can get in)...these are pretty nice, foodie-oriented places.

Alta is the best choice, I'd say--great tapas place and not terribly expensive--the sangria is awesome if not authentic.

Try www.menupages.com to check out prices and menus

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#11re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 8:20pm

Paris Commune is probably near you in the Village. It's pricey but the food is good.

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#12re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/4/08 at 9:19pm

I would say to go to Juniors after Xanadu, you will beat the crowds of the other shows. I would also say try Cowgirl they have good food and relatively inexpensive. Cowgirl is located on Hudson and West 10th.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#13re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/5/08 at 12:10am

Juniors and Sardi's were my two favorite NY dining experiences!

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#14re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/8/08 at 12:44am

Off to the airport in 15 minutes...should be in New York in 12 hours!

Let's hope Miss Lupone gets well, there's plenty of cheesecake and all's right with the world.

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#15re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/10/08 at 8:27pm

Great cheesecake!

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#16re: New York Trip
Posted: 4/10/08 at 9:12pm

i highly reccomend cafe yaffa
the life cafe is also really good (and not not JUST because it was in rent)

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Videos