Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 4:05am

From today's New York Times, there is a very nice article on the $12 million restoration of the Longacre Theatre. Above, some photos of the work from an accompanying slide show. Link to the article is below.
On Broadway, Revivals Aren't Only For Shows

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 4:10am

As point of comparison, here are some photos of the pre-renovation Longacre. This is what the article terms accurately as the theatre's 1970s "hideous" mushroom and cream phase.

re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 4:33am

I have yet to see Mushroom work as a color anywhere. But the new photos from the Times are stunning.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#3re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 6:32am

How much are tickets to sit on that ladder selling for?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#4re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 7:50am

Simply fantastic pictures. I remember the place being so cold and unwelcoming on the 2 or 3 times I've seen shows there in the past.
And why cove up the front of both mezzanines like that?? Look what was underneath!
It looks gorgeous now!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 5/3/08 at 07:50 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 8:43am

In the late 80s or early 90s, there was talk that the Longacre was going to be repurposed as a Midtown Court House. Despite the theatre's long period of ugliness and unfortunate shows, it would still be a blow to lose any more Broadway legit theatres. It's really a fantastic thing that the Shubert Organization went from that potential low point to a $12 million restoration. Hope that Boeing-Boeing is the first of many hits there.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 8:49am

What will be the next house to get renovated? Its not like the Shubert's don't have the cash!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 9:05am

The rumor is that the Belasco is next on their list, whenever Passing Strange ends its run.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 9:20am

The Belasco renovation is true according to one of the ushers working the theater a few weeks ago.

Poster Emeritus

Yankeefan007
#9re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 9:24am

Nice article.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#10re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 10:00am

What a transformation!

Just don't re-name another theatre!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 10:10am

Not even the Frank Wildhorn theater?

Poster Emeritus

Thomas14850ny2 Profile Photo
Thomas14850ny2
#12re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 10:16am

I haven't seen a show at the Longacre since the '50s. The Lark with Julie Harris, Christopher Plummer and Boris Karloff and The Pleasure of His Company with Cornelia Otis Skinner and Cyril Ritchard. I'm anxious to see the inside of the theatre again!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#13re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 12:10pm

The Belasco is gorgeous now but will be stunning if renovated. It would be great if they converted the apartment upstairs into a theatre bar and decorate it with the apartments history.

Updated On: 5/3/08 at 12:10 PM

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#14re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/3/08 at 12:54pm

I'm going to spend an hour or two tomorrow with my Shuberts Book- 'The Shuberts Present A 100 Years Of American Theatre'. A beautiful book for any theatre fan.

AND really cheap now compared to the $60 i payed when it was first published!

Updated On: 5/3/08 at 12:54 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#15re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/4/08 at 6:53pm

WickedBoy2- Thanks for that info.. I just bought one for $10.00 (used) . I love books about Theaters.

The Shubert Years Presents : 100 Years of American Theater:
Prices start at $3.00 (used) at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Shuberts-Present-Years-American-Theater/dp/0810906147/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

J*
Updated On: 5/4/08 at 06:53 PM

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#16re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 9:27am

You'll like the book, j*...one of my favorite coffee table books. Great photos!
The four page photo of the "Winter Garden Company" is my favorite...with Al Jolson appearing several times in the photograph.

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

louisamayfoster Profile Photo
louisamayfoster
#17re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 10:05am

Oh wow! Thanks for posting this!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#18re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 10:47am

I am looking forward to the renovation of the Belasco. To say that that theatre is overdue for a renovation is a mass understatement.

I think that the Belasco was in more of a need of a renovation then the Longacre but the Longacre does look nice with what they did to it.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#19re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:31am

>I think that the Belasco was in more of a need of a renovation then the Longacre<

I would disagree with that. The Longacre had a drab, depressing interior. It was dispiriting even walking in there. The Belasco, though much more run down than the Longacre, is such a unique looking theatre, that even with the moldering murals, the crudely painted over mahogany woodwork, the mismatched seats, the missing Tiffany light fixtures, the two missing side boxes, the cracking plaster, the rusted marquee, it still somehow manages to make an impression.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#20re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:35am

is sounds like you are talking about the set of a new production of FOLLIES

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#21re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:38am

DONT LET THEM DESTROY THAT MARQUEE FOR 'THE BELESCO' -THAT IS SO BRODAWAY!!!!!
Jay, its an amazing book- enjoy. $10 -lucky guy!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#22re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:41am

That is the only Broadway Theatre that I have yet to see a show in. Looks wonderful though.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#23re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 12:02pm

>DONT LET THEM DESTROY THAT MARQUEE FOR 'THE BELESCO' -THAT IS SO BRODAWAY!!!!!<

That present marquee for the Belasco was put up sometime in the 1950s. It's not the marquee that the theatre originally had, which was beautiful and elegant. See the image below. I also wonder what happened to those fantastic creepy light fixtures midway up on the facade.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#24re: Nice article about the Longacre Theatre renovation
Posted: 5/5/08 at 12:05pm

I do like todays marquee a little more i think.
Not being from New York, the current marquee is so what we are used to seeing in old movies etc. Of course, the original in the photo is gorgeous too.

Videos