Question about closing?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:30pm

When a show close? Are they supposed to give a notice...like days.. is that what the EQUITY requires... I am just wonderin'

J*

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#2re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:38pm

good question, Jay.

Equity requires a closing notice being posted 1 week before. However, they can still close but must pay the actors for the week. The producers may have put a closing notice on the board last week. They have the option to remove it.

If a show closes opening night the insurance money can kick in and protect the investment.

All of these rules might be different these days...I'm a little out of the loop...but that's the way it used to be.

I hope someone who knows more than I will add and/or correct my post! I may be COMPLETELY wrong about this nowadays.

re: Question about closing?

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

markymatt
#2re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:42pm

(1) Notice of closing. The Producer shall give to all Actors signed to
Term Contracts one week's individual notice in writing of the closing of
the production and Company or pay one week's salary in lieu thereof.

They have to give one weeks notice or pay the actors one weeks salary.
Production Rulebook

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#3re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:44pm

I am curious about this too.

Maybe if no one here can answer, we can submit to the ASK Playbill.com feature.

(If they pick our question, we win a mug!)

*edit* Thanks Marky
Ask Playbill.com

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing
Updated On: 5/7/08 at 04:44 PM

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#4re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:46pm

Thanks Marky! That's what I thought...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 4:48pm

What type of mug?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:31pm

A Playbill.com coffee mug.

So, in terms of something like Glory Days which closed after one performance because it didn't give the actors any notice I assume that they would have to pay the actors for the week even though they aren't performing?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#7re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 7:35pm

Yes even though the show has closed, if the notice was not posted they will still be paid 1 week.Many shows do this (Carrie posted its closing on the Saturday night and closed Sunday but all the actors were paid until the following week)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

coolkid11776
#8re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 8:59pm

So what happening with the glory days ppl? Are they at least getting paid for this week?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 5/7/08 at 9:00pm

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 09:00 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:19pm

Aaaaauuuuuuggggghhhh.

Maybe we should TYPE in Japanese.

So...did the actors get paid? AAAARRRRGGGHHH?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#11re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:27pm

So...did the actors get paid? AAAARRRRGGGHHH?

I don't think anyone can say for sure since we don't know if a closing notice was posted last week or not. If the notice was put up last week, they do not have to be paid for the week. If there was no notice, then YES, they will be paid for the whole week.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

dramamama611
#12re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:32pm

I was being sarcastic. I got the message after the first post. I was commenting on comments.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#13re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:33pm

Sorry. Can't be too sure around here sometimes re: Question about closing?.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

dramamama611
#14re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:40pm

And thanks for NOT being snarky about it!

coolkid11776
#15re: Question about closing?
Posted: 5/7/08 at 10:42pm

I wonder if they knew b4 they did last night's show? Or did they wait until after the show? It must of sucked for the producer to have to tell them. I wonder what he said to them.

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

Videos