pixeltracker

Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March

Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 12:52pm

"The Producers of the worldwide smash WICKED announced today that a 2nd North American Tour will launch in Fort Myers, FL in March 2009. Performances at the Barbara B Mann Performing Arts Hall begin March 7 and run through March 29, 2009.

Producer Marc Platt states, "Theatregoers across North America have embraced WICKED, creating an overwhelming demand for tickets and a wildly successful

1st North American Tour. The upcoming launch of this 2nd touring company will allow us to bring WICKED to markets which we have not yet been able to visit, as well as return to cities which have been asking for a second (or third) engagement..."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=28211

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 1:04pm

Thank you for sharing!!!

Here's hoping Nashville makes the list re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

#2re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 1:10pm

I hope it comes to Chicago!

Fosse76
#3re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 1:31pm

"I hope it comes to Chicago!"

I know! So many other less-deserving cities have already had return engagements and Chicago has only had the one! :o)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 1:48pm

Will this and the first national tour be running simultaneously, or is the first national tour "closing"?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#5re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:03pm

adamgreer, they'll be running simultaneously.

The second company will be a scaled down version of the first.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Ivan2 Profile Photo
Ivan2
#6re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:10pm

Is there a reason that they wouldn't just keep both of the versions the same? Is it for theatre selection purposes or what?

Also, whenever I see the company songs of Wicked, I always feel like there aren't enough chorus members. Anyone else feel this way?

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:19pm

Great news!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

cello_dude Profile Photo
cello_dude
#8re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:42pm

the "2nd national tour" will be the chicago production on the road

Fosse76
#9re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:42pm

"Is there a reason that they wouldn't just keep both of the versions the same? Is it for theatre selection purposes or what?"

For quicker load-in and load-out, so they can have shorter runs in the smaller markets. I wouldn't be surprised if they were modifying the Chicago set (which was the modified tour set).

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#10re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 6:26pm

I think this is great news. Louisville, KY is FINALLY getting the show next January (1st National Tour). I'm glad that other cities will finally get to see the show.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#11re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 8:13pm

Do you know how scaled down it will be?

broadwayboy522
#12re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 9:45pm

I hope it won't be scaled down to much because wasn't the original purpose to replicate Broadway for the national tour, not scale it down?

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#13re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 11:25pm

Anyone know whether it will be equity or non-equity?

loveplays
#14re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/22/08 at 11:36pm

From the dates they have announce I don't know how scaled down it will be. It still looks like the load in will be 3 days just as the tour is now.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#15re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 12:37am

I think that this tour is going to be equity but I don't know for sure.

I honestly don't think that they really can do a whole lot of scaling down and still give off the effect that this is Wicked a BIG broadway musical.

I think that if they scale it down too much the effect of it would be lost.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#16re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 12:55am

The Producers have stated in several interviews that they will not scale down the shows in significant ways (i.e. 1st national tour which is all the same except for sizes of certain sets.) They have stated they will take the best possible show they can anywhere they go, and will not settle for less. The Chicago set will most likely stay unchanged, and will serve as the 2nd national tours set. The producers refuse to change this show, as they should.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#17re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 1:01am

I hope they recycle the whole cast!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#18re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 8:40am

the only change, if they do use the Chicago set, will be the proscenium. the 1st tour has barely any proscenium at all (compared to other sit downs, espicially when it comes to those side balconies) they were added to the Chicago set specifically, (since the chicago set is the original touring set, they build a new touring set to continue on, chances are they will not be used on the 2nd tour (since they are not used on the 1st) and usually when there is a 2nd tour, it is somewhat smaller just so it can fit into more theatres, but the differences are hardly noticeable.

it probably will only be noticeable for die hard fans of the show, or people who are used to seeing the show in Broadway. Honestly for me it was a big dissapointment when i first saw the tour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:29am

"Anyone know whether it will be equity or non-equity?"

It will almost surely be Equity. Equity would have a fit if a big, successful production like this didn't use Equity actors. Plus, you don't want to have one Equity tour out, and one non-Equity tour.

Fosse76
#20re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 11:05am

"The Chicago set will most likely stay unchanged, and will serve as the 2nd national tours set. The producers refuse to change this show, as they should."

They'll have to modify it. The set was modified for an extended run, with trap doors that can't be used on a tour, and the side balcony, which would take too long to load in and load out.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#21re: Wicked to Launch Second National Tour in March
Posted: 5/23/08 at 11:17am

I'm just glad it's coming to Birmingham...they have passed up already this year. They were supposed to be here this October..but instead they are going to Atlanta instead. Can't wait to see it in April 09

Facebook...ME !!!

Videos