pixeltracker

Are there understudies on Tony day?

Are there understudies on Tony day?

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#1Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 8:25am

I was lucky enough to score a ticket to next Sunday's South Pacific at 3PM. Didn't realize at the time that it was the day of the Tonys. Is it more likely that there will be understudies that day? It may be tight for them to get from the theater to the awards show, and if they're not feeling well, they may not want to risk doing the show if they have to perform in front of millions that night.

I'm sure the show will be fantastic no matter who is in it, but is it common practice for lots of leads to take off on Tony day?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 8:36am

No. Unless someone is sick, on vacation, or has an emergency of course. I don't see a reason the leads will be absent.

The show will end close to 6, but don't the awards start around 8? They can probably make it ready to the theater by 7. The stars can get ready pretty quickly.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 08:36 AM

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#2re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 9:39am

I think they have to be there closer to 6:30ish because everyone needs to be in there seats by 7pm so they technical awards can start. Atleast thats what says on my Tony ticket. But then again that can be just for us normal folk going lol!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#3re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:09am

Check the time of the show. Last year, I went to a matinee the Sun. of the Tonys and it was at 2 PM so the actors (and those of us going) could be ready in time.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#4re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:40am

I saw the Tony-day matinee performance of CAROUSEL the year that it won for Best Revival (also at the Vivian Beaumont).

I was very disappointed that we had understudies for two major roles. We didn't see Michael Hayden or Shirey Verrett. Instead, we saw Davis Gaines as Billy (who was woefully bland) and some woman who was pretty forgettable as Nettie. (Thank God we saw Audra -- on the day she won her first Tony.)

It's never predictable.

Have fun at SOUTH PACIFIC! I'm seeing it that Friday evening, followed by GYPSY and SUNDAY IN THE PARK on Saturday. It should be a fun-packed weekend...

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#5re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:44am

There are DEFINITELY actors who will just take the day off to pamper and prep for the Tony's.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#6re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:45am

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm worried. The show is definitely at 3pm, and the Beaumont is much further from Radio City than most B'way houses are, so a three hour show + being on the UWS...

gottadance2 Profile Photo
gottadance2
#7re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:57am

Wow with a 3 hour show those guys will have to BOOK it over to the Tony Awards!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#8re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 5:50pm

I've seen shows on Tony Award day, and never missed a lead or anything like that. But, of course, it can all depend on if the performer all ready scheduled to take that day off in advance, or is ill.

Updated On: 6/5/08 at 05:50 PM

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#9re: Are there understudies on Tony day?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 5:54pm

I saw the Sweeney Todd revival the day of the Tonys, and there was a full cast minus John Arbo who was at his son's graduation...so if Patti can do it, anybody can.