pixeltracker

Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?

Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?

esparza 333
#1Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:16pm

Every Year there is at least one show that survives a few seasons after its own season

For Example
The Producers
Mamma Mia
Hairspray and Moving Out
Wicked and Avenue q
Spamalot
Jersey Boys
Spring Awakening

What Show do you think will survive a few seasons?

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#2re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:21pm

The Little Mermaid will probably.
And South Pacific, should it ever transfer.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#2re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:21pm

In The Heights.

DrewBill
#3re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:44pm

No, I don't think any of this past season's shows have the potential to be "long runners" (5+ years on Broadway) like "Mamma Mia!," "Hairspray," or "Wicked."

I think the one that will last the longest will be "The Little Mermaid," but I don't see it running past 2-3 years max, probably less -- much like "Tarzan," it just doesn't have a lot of buzz around it to keep it going long term.

"In The Heights" will probably have a similar run, approx. 2-3 years max.

BTW, I don't yet count "Spring Awakening" as a long runner -- it's only been on Broadway for 2 seasons now. It remains to be seen how long this show will last. And I guess by my definition above, "Jersey Boys" hasn't yet hit the long run category either.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#4re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:46pm

But the way Jersey Boys has been selling for it's entire run, it's almost definite that it will meet your standards for a long runner.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#5re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 3:03pm

In The Heights will have a modestly healthy run, but nothing like Les Mis or the "mega hit" runs. That's the only show I see sustaining a run after maybe two years.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

DrewBill
#6re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 3:09pm

wicked_beast4: Yes, I agree with you -- while "Jersey Boys" hasn't yet hit the 5 year mark, it's consistently doing very well, and is definitely on track to reach that milestone.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 3:25pm

I do want to say Mary Poppins and The Little Mermaid. Poppins because it already recouped and considering that it is one of the best out of three shows that love to and do make tourists happy ( I am talking about the Disney on Broadway shows of course) Disney isn't loosing any money by keeping it open at this point. And, I can see it having a good healthy run. At least, until the point Disney creates a new musical that needs a big theatre like the New Amsterdam.

And, I want to say Mermaid. Not because it is good. We all know that it really isn't. But, because of the fact that tourists will take their kids to see it because it is a reliable name. Everyone knows the name The Little Mermaid. The people that take their kids to the Disney shows are people who don't go to the theatre often enough to be able to judge what is good quality theatre and what isn't. Disney can produce crap so long as it is a name that has been a will be a household name for years and years to come. Disney half learned that lesson with Tarzan. They can produce crap but the reason why no one came is because Tarzan is nowhere near as much of a household name like something like Beauty and the Beast or Mary Poppins or The Little Mermaid is.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 3:29pm

The Little Mermaid.

Not sure why people keep predicting its demise. It's never brought in less than $832,000, nor played to below 77% capacity. It's making Disney a boatload of money every week, and their target audience seems to love it. At this point in its run, Tarzan was doing nowhere near the business Mermaid was.

It'll easily run 5 years.
Updated On: 6/28/08 at 03:29 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:06pm

A "boatload" of money is a cute pun, but not neccesarily true.
We don't know what the running cost is.
It could be above $600,000.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:13pm

And yet most of the people on here who are crossing their fingers for its demise are people who don't really look at the numbers and look at the fact (and it is a fact) that the show is poorly done.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#11re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:38pm

The Little Mermaid will always have an audience...its Disney! And it's very cute for kids

And I bet In The Heights will be around for a while.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

jimmy_oh_jimmy Profile Photo
jimmy_oh_jimmy
#12re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:54pm

I pray to god not lil mermaid

Shut Up It's Been 29 Years! ~ St. Patti

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#13re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 4:57pm

NO. At best Little Mermaid will run the longest. Not five years, though.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#14re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 5:06pm

Definitely THE LITTLE MERMAID.

IN THE HEIGHTS has potential, but think we just have to wait and see.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#15re: Did Broadway Produce any Long Runners This Year?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 5:15pm

The Little Mermaid is definately going to run about 5 years or more. It's always going to be if not remembered for the show itself a show that people question..."How can they make it look underwater?" "What do the sets look like?" "I wonder how much it's like the movie?" or the "I Grew up with that movie I'm going to show my kids!" "My kids love Disney!" It's just one of those shows...unlike Tarzan which was a newer film, and had just about the worse stage effects ever.

I may be an outcast with this, but I don't really see In the Heights running "forever" or all-too-long at all. There are plenty of people who complain when Lin-Manuel Miranda is out about his understudy, well what's going to happen when he leaves? I also HATE to say this, and I feel awful saying it, but with shows that tend to pick a certain race for casting (Latinos are primarily casted for this show, Miss Saigon and Asians) sometimes after long runs the shows become a little sloppy because they have trouble finding the right "look" for these people. I doubt that it'll be a problem if the show doesn't run 10 years, unless they keep primarily the same cast. And unfortunately, once the buzz leaves this show when next season's shows come in, I think it will rely on it's fan-basis a lot, which could keep it open for over 5 years...but I myself am predicting 2-4 for this show.

Videos