pixeltracker

PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)- Page 2

PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)

Roscoe
#25re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 2:53pm

Ah, blaxx, ever ready with an unwitty retort.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#27re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 2:56pm

Thank you, blaxx!

Sad to hear that its closing!

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#28re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:06pm

It's sad that crap like Legally Blonde can play for over a year, yet the brilliance of Passing Strange is limited to a few months. There is no justice, or accounting for bad taste.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#29re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:07pm

"It's sad that crap like Legally Blonde can play for over a year, yet the brilliance of Passing Strange is limited to a few months. There is no justice, or accounting for bad taste."

Do you really have to insult other shows in order to express your appreciation for this one? Pathetic.

I really enjoyed PS when I saw it...wish it could've found it's audience.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#30re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:08pm

Kelly2, to answer your question, in this case, yes.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#31re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:12pm

"Kelly2, to answer your question, in this case, yes."

Why? They're apples and oranges, they were created for completely different purposes, they're completely different shows. I have friends who thought PS was an unfocused mess. *shrug* I disagree, but just don't understand the constant need for comparison. They're both different, they both have a place on Broadway, why can't everyone just respect that?

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 03:12 PM

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#32re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:13pm

double
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 03:13 PM

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#33re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:14pm

Maybe we can keep the bickering out of the closing thread, guys. Clearly, PS is not an "unfocused mess". It got a HUGE Times rave (which few other shows on Broadway now can say the same), they've had a great run. Let's support it the last week out.

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#35re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:19pm

No! I wanted to see this show soo bad! But I'll have the dvd and who knows maybe they'll have a revival. Hey its possible.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#36re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:23pm

That's sad to hear. I'm sorry to all of the shows' fans, and I can't wait to see the filmed version of the show!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#37re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:25pm

At least, It will be preserved on film and the OBCR was recorded! i have been watching Broadway shows since 1992. there were TONS shows that was not even recorded!

Its amazing that it will be preserved on film (dvd) re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It) I am VERY HAPPY for that!

J*

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#38re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:34pm

So sad about this. As soon as I heard the news I ran to the Belasco and got rush tickets for tonight. I'll really miss this one.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#39re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:39pm

UNFORTUNATELY, its always like this after the TONYS. Most of the shows that did not win will close, usually only 1 or two will stay open! (1 for Best Musical Winner and second- Disney or jukebox will survive due to tourists)

Its a fact of Broadway Life! Shows open and Close ! at least PS will be preserved! I remember telling blaxx (via pm) about it 3 weeks ago that's it closing and he told me at least, we experienced it!

J*

Updated On: 7/10/08 at 03:39 PM

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#40re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:42pm

There's one every year... what a heartbreaker! Can't wait for the dvd!!

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#41re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)

Yeah and I loved it more every time I saw it.

iluvtheatertrash
#42re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)

So sad to see this glorious, astonishing work have to say farewell. Thank God for Spike Lee's deserve to preserve this magnificent work.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 3:47pm

A lot of people are mentioning the DVD. Are we sure there will be one?

Just give the world Love.

Mrs. Lovett's bf Profile Photo
Mrs. Lovett's bf
#44re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:15pm

Thank god this dreadful show is closing. That awful performance at the Tony's couldn't have helped.

BlueWindSadness
#45re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:20pm

So sad this show is closing- I wish it really could have found its audience....I am glad I got to see it twice (once this past Tuesday!) and that it will be preserved with teh OBC on DVD!

Passing Strange!! <3

"that's what my date said."

Ed_Mottershead
#46re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:23pm

Although PS was not my particular cup of hemlock, it was earnest, well-performed and had artistic integrity. Considering that it got a favorable press, won some major awards (albeit not the Tony) and had a cult following, it's a sad comment on the state of Broadway that it couldn't find room for this adventuresome show. I do think the Tony excerpt didn't do the show any favors. If they had planned it more carefully, it may have gotten the box office shot in the arm that Xanadu has gotten since the Tonys.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 04:23 PM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#47re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:33pm

Im upset it is closing as the music has recently became catchy to me and I was intrigued and wanted to see it in August. Im glad Spike Lee is preserving it. Would anyone be so kind next time they see PS before it closes to take a picture of the marquee and email it to me? I dont think the Marquee will be up over labor day.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#48re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:44pm

so so sooo sad to see this BEAUTIFUL show go. not that I didn't expect it or see it coming but still, this is depressing. I was praying that it would at least make it to the twenty third so my friend could see it but alas the gods weren't with me. I am happy that at the very least the show will be preserved and hopefully many will see it and kick themselves for going to see Wicked or some other spine-less piece of garbage rather than a truly original soul felt musical.

Man they really did need that Tony to stay alive. I was hoping that wasn't gonna be the case...
anyways will definitely be at the last performance which WILL be as mentioned above, a HELL of a show. Saw this show the day of the Tony Awards and even then the show was even more electric and intense. One of the best musicals I've seen in a long time and really touched me as it did many others. Will be truly missed.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

CockeyedOptimist
#49re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:55pm

Can't say I'm surprised, but definitely sad. Everyone I've seen it with (and that includes three generations of people, many of whom were quite skeptical about it based on its storyline summary or the Tony performance) has absolutely loved it. My mom still tears up when she thinks about PS and how much it affected her, and I can honestly say the same. It's a shame it wasn't advertised well and couldn't find its audience, but to echo what others have said, at least we have a lot to remember it by.

"Maybe Philly'll change your luck."-42nd Street "Don't be afraid it won't be perfect. The only thing to be afraid of really is that it won't be."-Company

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#50re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
Posted: 7/10/08 at 4:59pm

What a shame. Such a special show...