Gypsy CD signing?

lotterymaster
#1Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 1:31am

Is there going to be a Gypsy cd signing? If so when and where?

thatsSO[tos] Profile Photo
thatsSO[tos]
#2re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:14am

ask this when the recording has actually come out.

:)

Ed_Mottershead
#2re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 12:45pm

According to Amazon.com, that won't be until August 26th. What gives?

BroadwayEd

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 12:48pm

What do you mean "What gives?" That's when it comes out.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Ed_Mottershead
#4re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 12:51pm

What I meant was, why is this taking so long? The show opened in April -- isn't four months an unusual amount of time?

BroadwayEd

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 1:13pm

It was always announced for an August release. And the main disc runs a pretty packed 80 minutes, which is a lot of material to be edited and mixed. (The Barnes and Noble bonus disc has an extra 15 minutes or so).

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 3:49pm

Do we really need another thread about this CD?

Luckydave14
#7re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 8:13pm

The CD Signing is on August 28th at 5pm at the Barnes and Noble at Lincoln Center. There will also be a performance.

http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/eventdetail.do?store=2628&event=22734235

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#8re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 8:34pm

AHHH. I really hope I'm back at school so I can go! [Thanks Luckydave!]

Dollypop
#9re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 10:46pm

What's on the CD?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

chino Profile Photo
chino
#10re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:08pm

Here's the link to Barnes and Noble
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Gypsy/Patti-LuPone/e/610583244625/?itm=3

Would you buy this one or the regular one?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#11re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:15pm

Almost the entire score as written- first time such a complete recording has been done! Just a shame its with Patti LuPone thats all.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#12re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:15pm

Damn the Barnes & Noble CD packs a wallop. I'm getting that when I get my job!!

Also what is the difference between the tracks on disc 1 & 2? Updated On: 7/22/08 at 11:15 PM

FranzRelax
#13re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:18pm

Do you have to buy the CD at the store for these signings? Or can you bring it?

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:32pm

If you bring it you will get LaPowned or however U spell it!

misschung
#15re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:35pm

I really don't see how those "exclusive" tracks won't be included on the recording. That's just wrong!

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#16re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:41pm

I think some of the songs on disk 2 are already on the ethel merman recording of gypsy as extra tracks

FranzRelax
#17re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:43pm

I assume most of the bonus disc are dialogue tracks?

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

levitatingcow11 Profile Photo
levitatingcow11
#18re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/22/08 at 11:45pm

It will kill me not being there! If I could pick one CD signing to go to at this point, it would be this one.

I want to see the LuPone when placed in a different environment!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#19re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/23/08 at 5:59am

The truly significant elements on the Barnes & Noble bonus disc are the Entr'acte and the Exit Music. The other bits are the "Let Me Entertain You" dialogue ("Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen... You're very kind..." etc), the Miss Cratchitt dialogue that precedes and follows the "Dainty June and Her Farmboys" number, the playoffs for "Gimmick," "All I Need Is The Girl," "The Strip" and the final scene between Rose and Louise. For the 68 cents more that it costs at Barnes & Noble versus Amazon ($12.99 at Amazon/$13.67 Barnes & Noble member price), I would order the B&N version.

Just like the Amazon listing, the Barnes & Noble listing is wrong, and "Toreadorables" is on the main disc. The "Entr'acte" and "Exit Music" are only on the bonus Barnes & Noble disc.

Regarding the appendix on the main disc, while "Nice, She Ain't" and "Momma's Talking Soft" are heard on the reissue of the original Broadway cast recording, here, they are performed by the appropriate cast members of this production, in theatrical orchestrations. Moreover, "Momma's Talking Soft" is performed in its original counterpoint version to "Small World," in its original Sid Ramin/Robert Ginzler orchestrations. All the rest of the bonus tracks were fully orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick, in the style of his mentor, Robert Ginzler.

All of the appendix tracks on the main disc have something to offer: "Mother's Day" and "Tomorrow's Mother's Day" were both intended for the Baby June act. They both feature a hilarious and purposefully melodramatic, heart-tugging lyric. "Mother's Day" is performed as a solo ballad for Baby June and "Tomorrow's Mother's Day" is an uptempo for Baby June and Louise. Had either song made it into the score, the placard that says "Mother's Day" before the Minsky's Dressing Room scene would have had a little extra ironic punch to it.

I'm thrilled that "Small World/Momma's Talking Soft" was recorded. I always wanted to hear how the two songs fit together, and unlike "Small World" as it currently stands, it throws much more focus on the two girls and their opinion of their mother. It also ends with some sung lines between Baby June and Louise that reflect their relationship when we see them later as young adults.

"Nice, She Ain't," which has been recorded a few times before, is given an easy, offhand delivery by Boyd Gaines, to a swinging Tunick orchestration.

"Smile, Girls" is a mock tango that serves as a pep talk for the future Hollywood Blondes. It has a seriously fantastic Sondheim lyric, and LuPone seems to be having a blast singing it.

"Who Needs Him" was intended for the spot where Herbie walks out, and where the brief "Small World" reprise usually is (but not in the current production). Probably a bit too soul searching for Rose at that point in the show, but again, fascinating to hear.

"Three Wishes for Christmas" was written for the Minsky's slot. It's a big production number for a tenor and showgirls, a la "His Love Makes Me Beautiful". Tony Yazbeck sings it here, and sounds great.

All of those cut songs are featured on the main disc. Again, I think any fan would do best to order the Barnes & Noble version, in order to have everything. But there is a lot packed onto just the one main disc, for anyone who goes that route.

Updated On: 7/23/08 at 05:59 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#20re: Gypsy CD signing?
Posted: 7/23/08 at 8:04am

Thank you, Smaxie re: Gypsy CD signing?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Videos