pixeltracker

MTV remaking Rocky Horror- Page 2

MTV remaking Rocky Horror

#25re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 7:49am

I think its great for a new younger audience...just as everything else.

It would make sense. totally.
I'm up for it.
YES it's a classic...yes,..it's an original.

but it's also 30 years old.

I think we need to see it freshened up so younger audiences can embrace it as well.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#26re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 7:51am

re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror

Young audiences have been embracing it every single week for the last 18 years in London's West End. The dress-up-sing-a-long party has been sold out at The Prince Charles Cinema Leicester Square at every screening!
No one there can be heard saying 'I wish MTV would remake it' -its the classic that it is and it should be left that way!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/24/08 at 07:51 AM

Miss Elphaba Profile Photo
Miss Elphaba
#27re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 7:54am

"..but may also include music not featured in the original."

That's what is scaring me the most..

"I trained as a classical actor at Juilliard. I jump at the opportunity to do classical text...But I never in a million years guessed I'd get to play Juliet!"- Michael Arden

heathurrr
#28re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:41am

Oh yikes, I don't think I like this idea.
Let's hope I'm pleasantly suprised? I don't get MTV anyway...

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#29re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:49am

Hello. I saw this in Variety.

MTV readies 'Rocky Horror' redux
Network to remake 1975 cult classic
By DANIEL FRANKEL
MTV's set to remake cult tuner 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show,' which has grossed $140 million domestically since its 1975 release.

MTV is doing the time warp on a remake of 1975 cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
Lou Adler, exec producer of the original film, is partnering with BermanBraun and Fox Television Studios on the new rendition.

Two-hour remake will use the original screenplay by Jim Sharman and Richard O'Brien but may also include music not featured in the original.

Helmer and casting decisions have yet to be announced.

Fox is in discussions with BSkyB and Sky Movies to co-finance and distribute the telepic abroad.

Timetable for the start of production hasn't been established yet but the partners aim to move forward quickly once the final elements are in place.

"I'd like to see it shown a year from this coming Halloween, but that's up to MTV," Adler said.

BermanBraun principal Gail Berman will exec produce the project along with partner Lloyd Braun. Berman has been attached to a "Rocky Horror" remake dating back to her tenure as Fox programming chief (Daily Variety, July 1, 2002).

The original "Rocky Horror," starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf, has grossed $140 million in domestic box office over the years, primarily from the wallets of youthful audience members who have shown up for midnight screenings over the past three decades

Rocky Horror: Variety

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#30re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:55am

So what straight actor do you think they'll cast as Frank?

MTV is a joke. Has been since the late eighties.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

#31re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:04am

Everybody's cast lists are way too old it seems to me- except Mika. Can he act?

Was everyone so dead set against the Rocky Revival. Isn't a remake just a revival of a film?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:11am

I guess if people are so vehemently against the remake of Rocky Horror, then they should all just...not watch it? I mean, what's the big deal other than it is another television production of a musical, which musical theatre fans usually get excited about like The Music Man, Annie, Gyspy, Bye Bye Birdie, etc. I actually welcome a remake if it is closer to the stage production since I'm not a huge fan of the film.

PS - There is no such thing as Hairspray 2, which has absolutely no relevence to the topic anyway. Not sure why that was brought up at all.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:16am

Because yesterday it was announced that a movie sequel to Hairspray was in the works.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#34re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:19am

Does anyone else remember "Carmen: A Hipopera"? AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#35re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:47am

In my dreams, this is what it would look like...

Frank N Furter - JIM CARREY
Janet - AMY ADAMS
Brad - JAMES MARSDEN (I think it's hilarious that several people has the same idea for Brad & Janet)
Narrator - JOHN CLEESE
Eddie/Dr. Scott - JACK BLACK
Riff Raff - CONSTANTINE MAROULIS
Columbia - BRITTANY MURPHY
Magenta - ROSARIO DAWSON
Rocky - JASON LEWIS
Rocky (singing voice) - ADAM PASCAL

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#36re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:58am

I'm honestly sick of this whole "it's dated" excuse to remake everything under the sun. Oh, that and "our version is a darker take on the material".

F**k off and die you pencil pushing mediocrity.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#37re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:08am

Spencer What's-His-Name and Heidi Whozits as Brad and Janet!

Sign my online petition to make it a reality.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#38re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:19am

that idea is both revolting and intriguing Cal.

....but the world goes 'round

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#39re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:22am

I agree with everyone that says there is no need to remake this classic and perfect film. BUT, it's not going to hurt anything. Let them do it. It might actually turn out to be a good film, or it might get cast with some good actors that will bring something to these roles that we haven't seen yet. Maybe it will help to introduce the movie and stage play to a whole new generation.
Worse case scenario-- the remake is awful-- so just don't ever watch it or acknowledge that it even exist.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#40re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:24am

Actually, I'd much rather see Eli Roth get his hands on them.

Or maybe someone to be the Hitchcock to their Tippie Hedrons.

madame_no Profile Photo
madame_no
#41re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:48am

BrianIdol: I see your Carmen: A Hiphopera and I raise you the musical version of Wuthering Heights starring some Kurt Cobain wannabe.

I bet that poofy-headed kid from High School Musical will be Frank.

I can't fathom how anyone can say that Rocky Horror is dated. Because it was released in '75? Watching the film, there is nothing that ties it to any particular time period. "Horny transexual alien frolicking about and having sex with everyone. Only in the '70s!"

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#42re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 11:58am

WTF. Rocky Horror is just the kind of thing you JUST DON'T TOUCH. It's not supposed to be wildly popular, just loved among the fans it already has. MTV STOP F***ING WITH MUSICALS!

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

#43re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:02pm

It's the kind of thing you just don't touch because it's riddled with disease?

husk_charmer
#44re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:14pm

See, that's the thing. There isn't a need for it. Rocky Horror STILL reaches audiences today.

With the Annie, and Gypsy TV Productions, it was becasue the original films were vauge represenations of the stage productions.

With Gypsy, Music Man and Birdie (and Annie), it was to try and bring a new audience in with popular stars and big names.

However, Rocky Horror doesn't need a new audience brought in by a TV production, because the original film still does it. Rocky Horror is actually pretty faithful to the original stage version, it's big difference being the lack of lines for Rocky, which was only changed because Peter Hinwood couldn't act/sing.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

RentBoy86
#45re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:19pm

Why don't they do an original musical? What ever happened to Asphalt Beach?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#46re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:21pm

There are still weekly midnight showings of it where I live.

And the whole idea of the RHS/RHPS was to make fun (lovingly)of cheesy 50s sci-fi films. Will today's audience even get that?

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/24/08 at 01:21 PM

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#47re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:56pm

Taz, Same here every Saturday at midnight. Just don't see it working on MTV. But wish them the best with this.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#48re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:56pm

It still happened in Houston as well, at least when I lived there.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#49re: MTV remaking Rocky Horror
Posted: 7/24/08 at 2:09pm

The cast from High School Musical will film this in between "HSM 13 - The Unemployed Years," and "HSM 14 - Still Living in Mom's Basement."

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

Videos