News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

ITH vs. RENT

bwayfan3
#1ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:15pm

Finally my family and I are planning a trip to New York for August. Each member of my family picked a musical they wanted to see. Now I can't decide between IN THE HEIGTS or RENT. I want to see RENT cause I see the tour here at San Francisco, but I really wanted to see it one last time before it closes, and definetly I want to see Eden Espinosa, but I'm also really obsessed with IN THE HEIGHTS, I listen to the cd every time and I really wanted to see this musical, especially with the Original Broadway Cast, and with Lin Manuel of course, so I need help I don't know which musical to choose. Can someone please help me!!!!!!!

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#2re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:16pm

If I had to choose, I'd go with In the Heights.

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#2re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:20pm

edited because I forgot about the tour with A&A:

In The Heights. Updated On: 7/24/08 at 08:20 PM

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#3re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:21pm

shh, I'm in love with your avatar.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Blackcabbytabby
#4re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:22pm

rent is closing yall ITH shud be here for a while sry2say i wud see it in the nederlander before its gone!

anyway when is Lin Manuel leaving ITH

SporkGoddess
#5re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:28pm

ITH for sure. RENT is touring all of the time.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

bwayfan3
#6re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:36pm

Yeah I was thinking the same about RENT touring everywhere, but counting it came last year to S.F. I think it's going to take time to come back. I think I'm going with ITH. Best seats? anyone? Updated On: 7/24/08 at 08:36 PM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:39pm

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 08:39 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#8re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 8:45pm

Rent is launching an Equity tour with original Mark and Roger Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal not too long after the show closes on Broadway, so it might be worth waiting for that and seeing In the Heights. On the other hand, if seeing Rent at the Nederlander while it's still on Broadway is important to you, definitely see it. It sounds like the cast is pretty good right now.

Edit: LePetite beat me to it. In the Heights is really, really fantastic, though, so even if you don't see it this time, definitely see it. Updated On: 7/24/08 at 08:45 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#9re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:09pm

In The Heights without a doubt. I saw both this past weekend and there is no comparison. Rent is tired and looks it. (And IMHO Eden WAY overacts, even for Maureen and it completely not worth it.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

bwayfan3
#10re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:17pm

You guys are right I can go see RENT at L.A., I'm going to watch ITH. Does anyone know what are the best seats to see IN THE HEIGHTS?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:21pm

From what I've heard, anything except from something like orchestra Row T back because of the overhang are great. I've sat front row center (yay lottery!) and 5th row on the side but the inner aisle seats and loved it. I think it's one of those where you're pretty safe wherever ~ other than like I said row T back in the orchestra due to the overhang.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#12re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:26pm

I agree with everyone who has said you should see In The Heights. Anyway, like mentioned, row T & back for the orchestra are not good because of the overhang. At one point, you do need to look up a little. Actually, the rear mezzanine seats are very good too. The last 3 rows are sold for $40, and they are fine.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bwayfan3
#13re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:32pm

I like it! Thank you guys!

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#14re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:42pm

In the Heights

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 9:49pm

What shows did your family members choose?

just curious.

oh, and see ITH.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

childofthe80s Profile Photo
childofthe80s
#16re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:25pm

You have already made your decision, but I'll put in my opinion anyway :)

I am a huge Rent fan and had to see Rent before it closed at the Nederlander(I went in May)
I'm glad I did, just to say that I did, but I was a little disappointed. I didn't think the Bway cast had the energy that the touring cast does....and I wasn't impressed with Tamyra as Mimi.
I also saw In the Heights and LOOOOVED it. So, unless you just want to see Rent at the Nederlander for sentimental reasons, go with In the Heights.

MimiLovesBroadway Profile Photo
MimiLovesBroadway
#17re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:15pm

I love both shows! If you've seen RENT and not ITH, go with ITH but if you've seen neither show then I'd say RENT because ITH just came on and is doing so well that it will probably be on for a while so you'll have another shot. Then again, it's really up to you which you think is the better show.

~One day, both of you will need my sympathies and will I be there...probably." - Robin De Jesus In The Heights

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#18re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:29pm

here's another vote for In the Heights!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#19re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:37pm

I would say see Rent while it is still on Broadway.

Brandy_Breath
#20re: ITH vs. RENT
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:40pm

I am a huge Rent fan and had to see Rent before it closed at the Nederlander(I went in May)
I'm glad I did, just to say that I did, but I was a little disappointed. I didn't think the Bway cast had the energy that the touring cast does....and I wasn't impressed with Tamyra as Mimi.

childofthe80s, I felt the same way. I've seen the tour twice (2006 and back in March) and felt that the tour was SO much better. I really did not enjoy Rent at ALL when I saw it on Broadway. The tour cast, like you said, felt like it had more energy. Really, the show was a huge disappointment.

Well, at least my mom enjoyed Will Chase (the only reason we went). =)

On this trip, we also saw In the Heights and fell in LOVE. I can't wait to go see it again (we saw Javier as Usnavi and Joshua as Benny). Would recommend it to anybody to see.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

Videos