The Official Ace Musical Thread

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#1The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:38pm

I am excited to see how this turns out I may go up to VA to see the try out.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:45pm

Saw it in San Diego, it has potential.
Who's directing it?

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#2re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:47pm

What is this? I've never heard of it.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#3re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:51pm

From Playbill.com:

"Set just after WWII, Ace is an epic story of a young boy's search to come to terms with his past and unlock his future... A tale of triumph, humor, and heart as seen through a child's eyes, Ace magically explores the heroic lives and unforeseen legacies of the men and women of America's Greatest Generation."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119564.html

The director is Eric Schaeffer.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

musicalmaster703
#4re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:51pm

http://www.sig-online.org/seasondescrip.htm

Updated On: 8/4/08 at 10:51 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:52pm

Went to the web site, it's Eric Schaeffer, should be interesting, the cast has some gems and a lot of unknowns.
Updated On: 8/4/08 at 10:52 PM

musicalmaster703
#6re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:53pm

I have the demo if any one wants it.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#7re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:55pm

I'm looking forward to it too--three of my favourite Broadway leading ladies: Jill Paice (suprised she got a new role so quickly (sort of!)), Christiane Noll & Emily Skinner!!

musicalmaster703
#8re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 10:58pm

Does any one the the height of the stage at the signature? There is front row available.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#9re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/4/08 at 11:24pm

I think it varies. I saw two shows there, and both were thrust set ups so very low stages.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 5:04pm

From the way it looked at the open house last week it won't be very high. They kind of build it in for each show.

Obviously I'm very excited about it. :P

edit: Meant to add this... According to Signature's blog there have been a lot of rewrites and song changes which they say the cast that has been involved with workshops and stuff in the past feel only strengthen the show. So... Definitely excited. And trying not to get too attached to anything on the demo. LOL.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 8/10/08 at 05:04 PM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#11re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:00pm

Very excited to see this! Can't wait to make the trip up next month.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#12re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:25pm

I liked this show. I saw it at Cincy Playhouse in the Park, a few years ago. It was directed by Stafford Arima. It definitely has potential.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 12:43pm

Front row is fine for any show at Signature's Max. The stage/seating is modified for every show, but I usually sit in the front row in the Max and have never had a problem.

Looking forward to the first preview.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#14re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 1:14pm

so the same guy who directed GLOREE DAYZ is doing this?

Ok... I predict flop right now.

Brandy_Breath
#15re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 1:22pm

I love the front row for shows in the Max (and even the Arc but you can sit anywhere in the Arc and feel like you are in the front). With Kiss, I sat in the front row 5 out of the 6 times I saw the show and you are RIGHT THERE (and I rushed all but one of those times). Like, if I lifted my feet up, I would be sitting them on the stage. I don't know what it will be like with Ace yet, but I would recommend the front row. It was such an amazing experience to be able to be right there.

Really excited about this because of Jim Stanek. I think I'm going to rush the first preview.

Oh, and the Signature also has the set design and costumes sketches up along with some historical information:
http://www.sig-online.org/ace.htm

Dear god, TooDarnHot, is it your life's goal to bash Glory Days? It wasn't to your liking? Rock on and move on. Eric has directed many other things, some very well liked and some not so just like any director. Get over it and move on.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com
Updated On: 8/12/08 at 01:22 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#16re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 2:09pm

I was surprised and delighted to see Jill Paice's name attached to this project -- I live about 10 minutes away by car from Shirlington. I've picked up a front row ticket for late August.

KChenowethfan
#17re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 5:27pm

Eric does not direct all the shows at Signature. He is the artistic director of the theatre but the director of each show varies. Sometimes it is him, other times it is not.

Also, don't judge Signature's history by Glory Days. That is one show out of many.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

FeelingElectric
#18re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 8:12pm

Absolutely don't judge Signature by the Broadway failure of Glory Days.

I saw Signature's production of The Witches of Eastwick last year (which coincdentally also featured Ace's Emily Skinner and Christiane Noll), and it was spectacular.

Im my opinion, Witches is the production that should have gone to Broadway.

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to Ace during it's run, but I am definitely going to try.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#19re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 8:54pm

Read their blog and follow the link to the page redone for Ace. This looks AMAZING! Cannot wait until the 30th when I can see it for myself! :)
Signature's Blog

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

cic9452
#20re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 9:28pm

Updated On: 8/12/08 at 09:28 PM

Trekkie2
#21re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/12/08 at 11:03pm

This sounds very interesting. I might see it in September.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Magica Profile Photo
Magica
#22re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/17/08 at 9:36am

cast bios, set design, costumes, and song sample are now up at the official website:

http://signature-theatre.org/ace.htm

KChenowethfan
#23re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:07pm

The first preview is canceled due to technical problems. I had to change my tickets to another date. I just got the call.

musicalmaster703
#24re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:37pm

I most likely will be going to the new first preview 27th.

Videos