pixeltracker

Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording- Page 2

Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:23pm

The Singing Stage is a restricted site now. Members only. But sites like that do a lot of damage to the small Broadway record labels.

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#26re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:25pm

First off I'm not going to get into an argument with yet another poster on this board but please cut out the condescending tone with me. The "Honey" is unnecessary when addressing me.

Second, you are assuming I downloaded this off the internet from god-knows-where. WRONG. So don't accuse me of things that are not true. It seems that's a bad habit some of you have on this board.

Third. If you don't like the thread don't post on it. No one's pointing a gun to your head.

Updated On: 8/19/08 at 05:25 PM

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#27re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:54pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bonus tracks.

They're wonderful, particularly "Smile, Girls!" (hilarious), Tony Yazbek's "Three Wishes for Christmas", and the alternative version of "Mother's Day."

And can I just say... Leigh Ann Larkin is the awesome.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 05:54 PM

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#28re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:56pm

The bonus tracks are wonderful. My favorite is the "Small World/Mamma's Talkin' Soft" medley between Rose and the girls.

BustopherPhantom
#29re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:00pm

My favorite is the "Small World/Mamma's Talkin' Soft" medley between Rose and the girls.

That one's okay, and the last two lyrics are golden. Goldenly hilarious.

And can I just say... I listen to recordings on the new Voldemort site to figure out what would be worth spending money on. I actually listen to the warning: "Please delete these 24 hours after you download them."

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 06:00 PM

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#30re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:03pm

Leigh Ann Larkin *is* awesome. I love her "Dainty June and her Farmboys"

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#31re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:06pm

>That one's okay<

I'd call it the highlight of the album. I was thrilled to hear it for the first time, and in its original orchestration, no less.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

BustopherPhantom
#32re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:11pm

Oh, one more thing:

Yes, the recording is absolutely wonderful. I will be buying it.

(the orchestrations actually sound full, unlike the new SOUTH PACIFIC recording [which sounds way too blandly clean]).

RyToast1
#33re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:25pm

this is the best damn recording of the best damn musical ever.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#34re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:48pm

I thought "Small World/Mamma's Talkin' Soft" was a highlight, too. it's a shame the song had to be cut, to be perfectly honest.

maybe I'm crazy, but I thought Leigh Ann was singing one of the cut songs...?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

givesmevoice
#35re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:49pm

I thought "Small World/Mamma's Talkin' Soft" was a highlight, too. it's a shame the song had to be cut, to be perfectly honest.

maybe I'm crazy, but I thought Leigh Ann was singing one of the cut songs...?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#36re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:50pm

Gotta love LaLuPone when she's running down the girls names during "Smile Girls" and she says, "Smile, whatever your name is..."

Boyd Gaines is about the best damned Herbie ever recorded. I had such a crush on him when he was on "One Day At A Time". I still cannot believe he's playing "Herbie" in "Gypsy". I never thought I'd live to see the day he would be old enough to play the role, but yet here he is and doing a damned fine job if I may say so myself.

givesmevoice
#37re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:58pm

and how much did I not mean to post that 3 times.

Updated On: 8/19/08 at 06:58 PM

Jim Colyer Profile Photo
Jim Colyer
#38re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 7:00pm

I have been a fan of the Gypsy music ever since seeing Natalie Wood in the movie when I was 17.

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#39re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/19/08 at 7:01pm

Is it possible to share?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

jaapjan
#40re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:28am

I ordered mine from Barnes & Noble but since I live in the Netherlands I might have to wait more than 3 weeks. Last time I ordered from B&N it took that long.
And I am so desperate to hear this cd... I have no access to site mentioned above (TSS)
I wish I could find it somewhere..... Any help would be really appreciated... re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Best regards,
JJ

sesboa
#41re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 7:26am

Just so you know... you can get a (legal) copy of this recording in front of the St.James shortly before the show begins, even if you are not seeing the show. (I got mine this Tuesday when I saw the show, BTW)

jaapjan
#42re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 7:31am

Well since I don't live around the corner. I live 3700 miles from NYC.... I will have to wait for the Barnes and Noble postman to deliver it here in Europe...
I guess it will not be available in the iTunes store over here... Too bad...

Updated On: 8/21/08 at 07:31 AM

jaapjan
#43re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:32am

BTW: Why is this cd not mentioned in the Upcoming CDs section of broadwayworld.com ??? Are they on a holiday ??? re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#44re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 11:50am

The best tracks on the CD are by far 'Have An Eggroll, Mr. Goldstone' and 'The Strip'.

Smile, Girls is a fantastic bonus track as well.

Leigh Ann Larkin's voice is INSANE in 'Broadway'

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 11:50 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:14pm

OK. So I have a slight problem with the Overture on the recording.
It's not accurate to what is played in the theater. It's a minor problem. Nowadays the overture is played slightly different from how it used to be. I don't know how to explain it because I'm not a music expert. But over the years there was a slight change to the orchestration. Now the when the first trumpet plays "I had a dream" there are several notes played under it, and then "A dream about you baby" the notes again. It's like a "bum, bum." Traditionally the trumpet just played by itself. But on the new recording they just have ther trumpet playing by itself re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording. But in the theatre it has the "bum, bum" notes....I don't know why I care so much. But I just think it sounds so much better with the other instruments/notes under the trumpet.
It sounds so plain without it, but maybe they are trying to be faithful to the original Overture, even thought that's not how it is played in the St. James.

And did any of that make sense at all?

ps. If any music experts want to clear up what I am talking about, please do!
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 12:14 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#46re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:21pm

Jonathan Tunick specifically removed those figures that you are talking about ljay. He said they are NOT supposed to be there, even though they are still used in the theatre in the current production.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jaapjan
#47re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:31pm

WOW ljay and smaxie, you are so lucky being able to discuss this recording already ! Wish I could join in the discussion regarding the sound and not by telling you all that I envy you all...I have to wait so many weeks for B&N delivers in Europe...

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#48re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:34pm

is there anyway somebody could send me something to listen to? Like the Album?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#49re: Gypsy 2008 Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:27pm

I'm writing this on this thread because I cannot possibly answer every single PM I have received asking me to share the GYPSY cast recording.

I'm glad everyone is eager and excited and cannot wait to finally ad this recording to their cast album collections. Those of us who have it can tell you that it will be definitely worth the wait but I can't in all honesty share this over the internet.

I'm not going to go into a long winded explanation on how downloading unlicensed copyrighted material over the internet is
illegal, etc.

You all know right and wrong. The 26th is just around the corner.