pixeltracker

A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???

A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#1A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/22/08 at 11:50pm

I will be visiting NYC in two weeks and have enough time (and money) for one more show. I've narrowed it down to A Tale of Two Cities or Gypsy. Which one should I go for and why?

I read A Tale of Two Cities twenty years ago and although I don't remember any details, I loved the book. I also like the fact that if I do see it now while it's in previews, it's cheaper with a discount code than when it officially opens. As far as Gypsy, I have never seen Patti Lupone in anything but love her voice. I don't know much about the story but like the fact that it is a "classic".

Thanks for your help!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:00am

Gypsy.

Patti is giving the performance of her career (some would argue Eva takes that spot), as is Laura Benanti IMO, and Boyd is fantastic as always (not to mention all three of them won Tonys).

Not to be missed.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 8/23/08 at 12:00 AM

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#2re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:06am

Gypsy.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:11am

As much as I am not a big fan of this production nor am I a big Patti fan. I think that people should see this production. I went into the theatre wanting to see the show knowing that it was a classic musical that I should see because I love musicals. I thought that I would have to put up with Patti for a couple of hours. Yet, I was very happy and she blew me away. I loved Laura's performance as well as Boyd's. They all deserved the Tonys they got.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

broadwayyydude
#4re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:12am

gypsy

Broadway Baby 2
#5re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:35am

Not even a question sweetie. GYPSY! You will realy regret it if you let this production pass you by. It is going to go down in theatrical history as one of the greatest.

Updated On: 8/23/08 at 12:35 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:46am

GYPSY, GYPSY, GYPSY....

GYPSY!!!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:48am

Add me to the Gypsy chorus.

johnsons Profile Photo
johnsons
#8re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 12:49am

While I would definately reccomend TOTC, Gypsy's cast is really too incredible to be missed.

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Bobby Maler
#9re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 3:58am

if the buzz on the show is any indicator, there will be PUH-lenty of discount tickets even after TOTC opens, so don't let $ be your guide. I hear the sets, costumes, lighting, etc are glorious, however.

Gypsy, on the other hand, feels a little cheap. If not for the caliber of the actors and the full piece orchestra, I would have thought it was community theatre. That said, the story is a great one and the music is iconic. The children's vaudeville routine in the beginning was horrible, but the mature burlesque dancers were my favorite part. They were great! At times, I felt like Patti and Laura were "acting"...that is, marking a moment and artificially building up to a desired--and probably directed--emotional result as opposed to being organic and really feeling it...but those are just squibbles. By and large, if you keep your expectations low, you'll have a good time at Gypsy. I can't promise the same thing at TOTC.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#10re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 4:14am

GYPSY

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

colleen_lee
#11re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:36am

I have seen both, and it's definitely Gypsy.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

broadwayfan310
#12re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:41am

I have seen both also,, and it's definitely Tale of Two Cities!!

broadwayfan310
#13re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:42am

broadwayfan310
#14re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:42am

colleen_lee
#15re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:52am

What a shocker that you just joined yesterday.

I don't know that I remember a show sending this many shills out ever before.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

ashley0139
#16re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 9:56am

Gypsy. You can't beat it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#17re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:01pm

As much as I love A Tale of Two Cities, the answer to this question is obviously Gypsy. One of the best musicals ever written, in my opinion. Patti's performance is not to be missed.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#18re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:06pm

hands down, Gypsy.

Midnight Radio
#19re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:25pm

Having also seen both, Gypsy. Without a doubt.

dl032656 Profile Photo
dl032656
#20re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:34pm

see gypsy at lesat 5+ times classic and nice. if you have time you should see both through. but i like gypsy better.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#21re: A Tale Of Two Cities or Gypsy???
Posted: 8/23/08 at 3:24pm

Thanks so much for your opinions and suggestions everyone. Gypsy it is. I just ordered a ticket with a 40% discount code and got Orchestra J, Seat 1. Hopefully this is a good seat. Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it!

Videos